Soul Bro

Is It Time for Rob to Go?

Is It Time for Rob to Go?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is It Time for Rob to Go?

• Yes, I no longer have confidence in him as the Magic GM
    • No, I still have confidence in him as the Magic GM
    • Unsure

This isn't the point that I'm arguing. The point is, you only have so much time until patience runs out with people. Everyone wants a championship contending team, but people don't want 5 years of bottom dwelling trash either. I feel like our fans have been patient with the process, but Rob's plan didn't work out. His own lack of success led to the pressure by fans and ownership this offseason. He responded with more bad moves. This is a big dollar, results driven business and Rob has a lack of results on his resume.

I don't care what people want. they're going to have to get used to it.

Ask philly fans if 5 years of the lottery is worth it.

You suck until you have your star. if it takes 1 season then you tank for 1 season. if it takes 5 you wait 5.

I don't care what people want. they're going to have to get used to it.

Ask philly fans if 5 years of the lottery is worth it.

You suck until you have your star. if it takes 1 season then you tank for 1 season. if it takes 5 you wait 5.

People (including Magic ownership) don't care what YOU want. I can guarantee you that the team is tired of losing, ownership is tired of losing and they aren't interested in playing your game of suck the life out of the building until something good happens.

Also, the 76ers are not a good example at all. So what they drafted Ben Simmons, a guy who hasn't stepped on a NBA court yet and may or may not live up to expectations. This strategy is just throwing darts at a board blindly and it's led us nowhere so far. If that star isn't waiting for us in the 2017 draft I'm willing to bet we're not going to continue going down this path.

• Upvote 1

People (including Magic ownership) don't care what YOU want. I can guarantee you that the team is tired of losing, ownership is tired of losing and they aren't interested in playing your game of suck the life out of the building until something good happens.

Also, the 76ers are not a good example at all. So what they drafted Ben Simmons, a guy who hasn't stepped on a NBA court yet and may or may not live up to expectations. This strategy is just throwing darts at a board blindly and it's led us nowhere so far. If that star isn't waiting for us in the 2017 draft I'm willing to bet we're not going to continue going down this path.

Then we deserve to learn the same lesson Philly learned from 2006 to 2013. 40 wins! maybe our team will steal a game against the contender!

Then we deserve to learn the same lesson Philly learned from 2006 to 2013. 40 wins! maybe our team will steal a game against the contender!

Maybe, maybe not. Golden State didn't need to tank to get their stars, there's more to building NBA teams than suck miserably until you get lucky. If the strategy worked for us, great. But it didn't and they will have a hard time selling people on just throwing away games when we've been doing it for years already with no success. At some point it stops becoming tanking and you just have a sorry pathetic organization.

• Upvote 1

Maybe, maybe not. Golden State didn't need to tank to get their stars, there's more to building NBA teams than suck miserably until you get lucky. If the strategy worked for us, great. But it didn't and they will have a hard time selling people on just throwing away games when we've been doing it for years already with no success. At some point it stops becoming tanking and you just have a sorry pathetic organization.

http://www.businessinsider.com/golden-state-warriors-nba-tanking-2013-5

The Golden State Warriors launched one of the most egregious tanking campaigns in recent NBA history last year.

They were 18-21 — the third-worst record in the conference — with 26 games left when they completely and willfully collapsed.

They traded Monta Ellis for an injured Andrew Bogut, shut down Stephen Curry for the season, and benched David Lee with an ambiguous-sounding injury in the final weeks.

They went 5-22 to end the year.

The incentive was simple: their first-round draft pick was "top-7 protected," meaning Utah would have gotten it if it was 8th or higher.

Golden State was too young and thin to make any noise in the playoffs last year, so they sacrificed those last 26 games in embarrassing fashion to make sure they'd have a first-round pick.

It worked better than they ever imagined.

They ended up with the 7th-worst record in the league, got the 7th pick, and took Harrison Barnes — a talented ex-high school phenom who underperformed in college. With their second-round pick, they took Draymond Green.

Now, 12 months later, the Warriors have a legitimate chance to make the Western Conference finals, and Barnes and Green — who are on the team as a direct result of tanking — are playing in crunch time.

That's a very weak point, they were in a rough spot and decided to tank to keep the pick when the season was already lost. Not throw away years and years of games for blind hope of getting a star. Besides, Harrison Barnes was far from one of their better players.

I'm not even against tanking the rest of THIS SEASON, but we've thrown away way too many years to justify continuing that path for the next several years. We all want a star, we all want championships but sometimes it just doesn't happen and you can't just throw away everything and stay at the bottom of the barrel until you get another one. People can handle excessive losing for so long until things crack and fall apart.

That's a very weak point, they were in a rough spot and decided to tank to keep the pick when the season was already lost. Not throw away years and years of games for blind hope of getting a star. Besides, Harrison Barnes was far from one of their better players.

I'm not even against tanking the rest of THIS SEASON, but we've thrown away way too many years to justify continuing that path for the next several years. We all want a star, we all want championships but sometimes it just doesn't happen and you can't just throw away everything and stay at the bottom of the barrel until you get another one. People can handle excessive losing for so long until things crack and fall apart.

eh, time is a sunk cost. you should always make the most rational choice for your team going forward. it shouldn't be impacted by arbitrary timeframes.

eh, time is a sunk cost. you should always make the most rational choice for your team going forward. it shouldn't be impacted by arbitrary timeframes.

There is nothing more valuable to humans than time and how people choose to spend it. It will become hard for the Magic to retain fans and attract new ones if the team is at the bottom of the league every single year. I don't think ownership wants to go down the tank route next year and in the future, now for the rest of this season sure because this season has become a lost cause. But it's going to be hard to sell people on losing and continuing to do so because our plan to rebuild the team didn't work out and now people are anxious to see the team just be competitive again. I don't want to sell out to be a 40 win team, but you can certainly build a fun winning team that people enjoy watching. It doesn't have to just be championship or tank. If the tank strategy doesn't work for us in this draft, I think it's better to take the rebuild into a different direction and I'm confident the Magic will.

There is nothing more valuable to humans than time and how people choose to spend it. It will become hard for the Magic to retain fans and attract new ones if the team is at the bottom of the league every single year. I don't think ownership wants to go down the tank route next year and in the future, now for the rest of this season sure because this season has become a lost cause. But it's going to be hard to sell people on losing and continuing to do so because our plan to rebuild the team didn't work out and now people are anxious to see the team just be competitive again. I don't want to sell out to be a 40 win team, but you can certainly build a fun winning team that people enjoy watching. It doesn't have to just be championship or tank. If the tank strategy doesn't work for us in this draft, I think it's better to take the rebuild into a different direction and I'm confident the Magic will.

but you're already setting up arbitrary values for time.

it's ok to tank this season because this time isn't valuable?

but potential future time is more valuable than this time?

Impatience with the rebuild doesn't excuse bad future decision making.

but you're already setting up arbitrary values for time.

it's ok to tank this season because this time isn't valuable?

but potential future time is more valuable than this time?

Impatience with the rebuild doesn't excuse bad future decision making.

When you're 21-37 and not headed to the playoffs then it's obviously better to have a higher draft pick. Going into a season 0-0 and worrying about where you pick is when it's a problem. If that is the goal you need to have other options too, you can't put all your eggs in the basket of not only getting that pick but finding a player worthy of it.

So you're fine with us being terrible for 20 years if that's what it takes for us to get lucky. Wish I had known it was so easy to be a GM; just be terrible until you hit the lottery. I could probably do that for a few million a year, no problem.

In that example you gave before with Golden State, did I read correctly that they greatly improved their team with a 7th pick and a second rounder? I guess maybe you don't have to be terrible for many years to get a top three pick after all. Just do a great job of evaluating talent to find a diamond in the rough or two.