Soul Bro

Is It Time for Rob to Go?

Is It Time for Rob to Go?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is It Time for Rob to Go?

• Yes, I no longer have confidence in him as the Magic GM
    • No, I still have confidence in him as the Magic GM
    • Unsure

Lol.. Just looking at the draft.. Minnesota drafted 2 points guard at 5 and 6 with Curry on the board... Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn... D'oh!

At the time they were mocked for that. Curry didn't come out of nowhere. Simmons talked about it for months how stupid Minnesota was

Yeah it did. You don't tank to get meh in the draft.

One really good player makes a big difference. SA and Duncan. GS and Curry. Cleveland and LeBron.

We were forced to tank when nothing of that caliber were in any of the drafts and the best talent in those drafts weren't there at our slot. Well besides the Greek Freak.

Teams aren't trading stars either.

No, we weren't "forced" to tank. We chose to tank. Big difference.

No, we weren't "forced" to tank. We chose to tank. Big difference.

What's the alternative way to build a team? If you can show me an example of a good team being built through free agency in a environment where everyone has cap space I'll buy not tanking. But right now with bird rights, changes in the cba to make it more financially viable for players to switch teams, and a rapidly inflating cap giving max contract coupons to every team this is what you get.

When our star player Dwight wanted out, yes we were forced to tank.

One persons opinion. We see the results of that strategy now. The worse the team gets, the harder it is to turn it around.

What's the alternative way to build a team? If you can show me an example of a good team being built through free agency in a environment where everyone has cap space I'll buy not tanking. But right now with bird rights, changes in the cba to make it more financially viable for players to switch teams, and a rapidly inflating cap giving max contract coupons to every team this is what you get.

I think the Spurs is that team. After Robinson left, they had to rebuild around Duncan through draft and FA. They made some solid picks late with Manu and they added pieces along the way like Robert Horry. And this was at the time where people had cap space.

One persons opinion. We see the results of that strategy now. The worse the team gets, the harder it is to turn it around.

Dwight wanting out wasn't a strategy.

Dwight wanting out wasn't a strategy. He wanted out man.

Well is wasn't Dwight, it was his Agent greasing the skids to bank roll in with the Nets... but that went down real quick once it was uncovered that this was planned a year in advanced. Dwight was simply a pawn in a kings game

I think the Spurs is that team. After Robinson left, they had to rebuild around Duncan through draft and FA. They made some solid picks late with Manu and they added pieces along the way like Robert Horry. And this was at the time where people had cap space.

Exactly and who in the picks we were at are in the same tier as TD? Hell, not even the number 2 picks in those drafts are in that tier.

Dwight wanting out wasn't a strategy.

No one said anything of the sort. It was how we responded after he left that was the strategy.

Yeah it did. You don't tank to get meh in the draft.

One really good player makes a big difference. SA and Duncan. GS and Curry. Cleveland and LeBron.

We were forced to tank when nothing of that caliber were in any of the drafts and the best talent in those drafts weren't there at our slot. Well besides the Greek Freak.

Teams aren't trading stars either.

If you're going to take this position then you have to be open to criticism of drafting. If you tank to try to get the highest pick possible then you absolutely have to nail that choice. That clearly hasn't happened, as other players picked after have been better than our selections.

OTOH there's nothing stopping you from signing/trading for solid vets and start building that way. Sure you don't get a high pick but you're also much less dependent on one player single-handedly changing the fortune of the team. It's a high risk move to depend solely on the lottery: You can just as easily be rewarded or destroyed. And we've been destroyed.

• Upvote 1

Exactly and who in the picks we were at are in the same tier as TD? Hell, not even the number 2 picks in those drafts are in that tier.

But honestly though... while tanking is an actual strategy, it wasn't well thought out, if the balls didn't roll our way.. which it clearly didn't twice. To say it was forced isn't correct, it was chosen. And thus these are the results.