Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

Draft didn't play zero role. But it was mainly bold moves by the GMs to attract enough talent to win the championship. Cleveland drafting LeBron didn't win them anything, by the way. It's only when he came back from Miami that they finally won.

Trading #1 picks successfully to build a great team is not at all the same as building a team through the draft. You're conflating the two in your post.

No. I'm saying you need to draft players, have them take you to a title, have them attract free agents and take you to a title, or leverage those high draft picks for established players and win a title.

You can't just overpay for players and build through free agency.

the best way to achieve sustainable success is through drafting.

This franchise/fanbase doesn't have the stomach for that based on the moves we made

Where we're at, we're too good to tank. What if Vogel doesn't want to tank? What if vogel is too good of a coach to tank and he can pull any team to 33 wins or so.

We have a roster with some level of talent and one player we have some hope for significant improvement. We don't need to hope for an elite player in free agency. we just hope for a third tier point guard that can push us from a 7-10 seed to a 4-7 seed. then we use that success and accumulation of assets to push for a bigger trade later like Houston did with Harden. That's the path now. Unless the franchise/fanbase suddenly finds multiple 18-22 win seasons palatable when they didn't find a mid 20's season palatable two years ago.

The reason it wasn't found palatable is because that was the end of doing 3 years of exactly what you said and look what it got us: Serge Ibaka, Aaron Gordon, and Mario Hezonja. Even if we got prime Ibaka and the latter two improved greatly we still aren't a contender. None of those guys are bringing the FA's in either. It was a flawed approach. Then it was abandoned before it probably should have been given what we got out of it thus far. What third tier PG would improve a team 3+ places in the standings? I don't think that person exists, they would be a first tier pg.

5 years after rebuild we have Mario, AG & Payton. #YOUNGGUNS

This is why tanking and building through the draft does not always work, in fact--most of the time it fails. We were bad at the wrong times and with that made bad selections while having no lotto luck. To be as awful as we were for as long as we were and only come out with Dipo, Payton, AG & Mario--It hurts, really really bad. The kind of hurt that sets the franchise back another 5 years.

Everyone points to the Thunder when the reality is they're an exception to the rule. I would love to have the Wolves roster, but even with all the super star potential talent they have--they're an awful team right now and by the time all their young guys figure it out, they'll be leaving Minnesota and headed to LA or NY.

I was major anti Porz, but I would gladly put my foot in my mouth and buy his jersey if he was on our team. Crazy to think the pick before us was Porz, and we have Mario. That in many ways sums up this failed rebuild.

In the perfect rebuild world when your bad--you add some good young pieces but are able to sign a star to pull things together. We were never able to do either of those things, hence why we are as bad as we were last year and this franchise has no direction.

Rob will be gone by seasons end if we don't exceed our win total from last year.

5 years after rebuild we have Mario, AG & Payton. #YOUNGGUNS

This is why tanking and building through the draft does not always work, in fact--most of the time it fails. We were bad at the wrong times and with that made bad selections while having no lotto luck. To be as awful as we were for as long as we were and only come out with Dipo, Payton, AG & Mario--It hurts, really really bad. The kind of hurt that sets the franchise back another 5 years.

Everyone points to the Thunder when the reality is they're an exception to the rule. I would love to have the Wolves roster, but even with all the super star potential talent they have--they're an awful team right now and by the time all their young guys figure it out, they'll be leaving Minnesota and headed to LA or NY.

I was major anti Porz, but I would gladly put my foot in my mouth and buy his jersey if he was on our team. Crazy to think the pick before us was Porz, and we have Mario. That in many ways sums up this failed rebuild.

In the perfect rebuild world when your bad--you add some good young pieces but are able to sign a star to pull things together. We were never able to do either of those things, hence why we are as bad as we were last year and this franchise has no direction.

Rob will be gone by seasons end if we don't exceed our win total from last year.

Agreed.

I absolutely hate the idea and was against it from the many starts. You can't go for #1 in a draft lottery system. You do not tank unless you are dang certain that you will get #1 and unfortunately the NBA is not that league.... Not yet.

Rob is done, i think we all know this. His moves will have lasting effects on us years to come. He wasn't the right fit and the person who hired him should be fired in addition.

I think it's time to go back to Payton- Fournier- Gordon- ibaka- Vucevic

Think the early season numbers were skewed by injured ibaka and just little time with these guys playing together

I think it's time to go back to Payton- Fournier- Gordon- ibaka- Vucevic

Think the early season numbers were skewed by injured ibaka and just little time with these guys playing together

Do you think it could be Payton being a better fit coming off the bench?