Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

We all know that no GM hits on every pick. However, if we were able to re-do the drafts, who was possibly better that Hennigan should possibly have drafted?

2012- Draymond Green,Middleton, Fournier, Crowder, Barton

2013- Antetokounmpo, Gobert, McCollum (much better offensively, horrible defensively)

2014- I still think Gordon was the correct pick here, LaVine, Nurkic, Capela, Jokic

2015- Myles Turner, Booker, Dekker (This is early, but this draft doesn't look very good right now).

So he could have done better, but I don't think that is a horrible drafting record.

I agree it's not a horrible drafting record. But his oladipo-Gordon-Payton picks all shared the same major flaw and unfortunately for us and him the league turned quickly into a place where shooting was key and the #2 pick on his rookie deal plus a lotto pick returned the 3rd (good) fiddle on an expiring deal.

I agree it's not a horrible drafting record. But his oladipo-Gordon-Payton picks all shared the same major flaw and unfortunately for us and him the league turned quickly into a place where shooting was key and the #2 pick on his rookie deal plus a lotto pick returned the 3rd (good) fiddle on an expiring deal.

I just wanted to point out that drafting is not where Hennigan struggles. Yes, all of his picks have been flawed, but they weren't bad (Still waiting on Hezonja).

Where he struggles is signing free agents, picking who to fill out the team (Ben Gordon, Jeff Green being two of the worst), and in trading. I think that he often could possibly gotten a little more out of trades, and just ends up looking better than the trade actually was when players like Vuch and Harris look better than people were expecting.

But I think he has done a better job drafting than Hinkie has, while often having lower picks.

It's crazy how it only took a month for Hinkie to go from being a unanimous laughing stock and failure of a GM to some sort of cult basketball evaluating superhero. Philly looks promising now, but Hinkie didn't do anything brave or bold in his time with them to get them to this point. It's like if somehow the ping pong balls fell differently and Hennigan selected Embiid and Porzingis he'd be seen a whole lot differently right now.

I just wanted to point out that drafting is not where Hennigan struggles. Yes, all of his picks have been flawed, but they weren't bad (Still waiting on Hezonja).

Where he struggles is signing free agents, picking who to fill out the team (Ben Gordon, Jeff Green being two of the worst), and in trading. I think that he often could possibly gotten a little more out of trades, and just ends up looking better than the trade actually was when players like Vuch and Harris look better than people were expecting.

But I think he has done a better job drafting than Hinkie has, while often having lower picks.

Where he struggles is putting players that fit together on the same roster. Often we have redundant weakness and strengths.

You can compare them in 3 drafts.

2013: Hennigan drafts Oladipo and misses on CJ and Giannis. Hinkie drafts MCW and trades for Noel and misses Giannis. Whatever Hinkie missed, so did Rob.

2014: Hinkie has the guts to take an injured Embiid. It's paying off. Takes Saric and gets his first back from us. Jury out on Saric just like Mario. Hennigan takes AG - good pick and Elfrid - the debate rages on there.

2015: Hinkie missed on Kristaps. Advanced stats on Okafor not great. Hennigan missed on Turner and Booker. Mario can't get playing time in year 2 without massive injuries. Neither made the most with what they had in that one.

If you want to say there is a difference I would say at best it's not massive. Pair that with the poor trades and signings of Hennigan and I'd take Hinkie.

It's crazy how it only took a month for Hinkie to go from being a unanimous laughing stock and failure of a GM to some sort of cult basketball evaluating superhero. Philly looks promising now, but Hinkie didn't do anything brave or bold in his time with them to get them to this point. It's like if somehow the ping pong balls fell differently and Hennigan selected Embiid and Porzingis he'd be seen a whole lot differently right now.

Hinkie ensured his team was the worst they could be each year to try and get the best odds. That was brave and bold. Not claiming him as a genius evaluator, just a pragmatic GM who had the sense to bottom out for as long as it took to guarantee a star and not sign middling veterans to raise them out of the cellar before they got that star.

Hinkie ensured his team was the worst they could be each year to try and get the best odds. That was brave and bold. Not claiming him as a genius evaluator, just a pragmatic GM who had the sense to bottom out for as long as it took to guarantee a star and not sign middling veterans to raise them out of the cellar before they got that star.

Yeah I think the praise is mainly due to the fact that he didnt half-ass the tank, got the best odds. But in reality, any idiot can do that.

Yeah I think the praise is mainly due to the fact that he didnt half-ass the tank, got the best odds. But in reality, any idiot can do that.

Yes. And isn't there something terribly wrong with this whole discussion when it's starting from the premise that the GM who can convince ownership to put the worst possible team on the floor for the longest period of time is really the best GM? Why would it ever be good to have a dynamic like that in professional sports? Do you really want teams competing to see who can be worst for the most time??

Our idiot didn't.

Yes. And isn't there something terribly wrong with this whole discussion when it's starting from the premise that the GM who can convince ownership to put the worst possible team on the floor for the longest period of time is really the best GM? Why would it ever be good to have a dynamic like that in professional sports? Do you really want teams competing to see who can be worst for the most time??

That's an issue with the league but it doesn't make it any less true that it is a successful way to rebuild. Would I prefer to rebuild through trades and free agency? Sure. But I don't think that's the surest way for this franchise to be successful at this point. Remind me how many franchise players have been traded in the past 5 years. And to a small market non-playoff team? I wish this was a viable path, but I just don't buy it.

That's an issue with the league but it doesn't make it any less true that it is a successful way to rebuild. Would I prefer to rebuild through trades and free agency? Sure. But I don't think that's the surest way for this franchise to be successful at this point. Remind me how many franchise players have been traded in the past 5 years. And to a small market non-playoff team? I wish this was a viable path, but I just don't buy it.

LeBron for one, and Cleveland isn't a huge market.