Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

He sounds like a career backup.

I don't know what to think about him. on one hand he's not consistent enough to be a starter. on the other hand he's still early in his career.

on one hand he floats through too many games. on the other hand we saw last night another example of him just taking it to a guy relentlessly in back to back to back stretches. dude had 9 points in a 3 minute stretch without shooting threes. just took it right at Johnson and got into the paint.

I totally get why we bet on him because he gives you a lot to get excited about. I just don't know how long we're supposed to wait for him to turn into that player.

I don't know what to think about him. on one hand he's not consistent enough to be a starter. on the other hand he's still early in his career.

on one hand he floats through too many games. on the other hand we saw last night another example of him just taking it to a guy relentlessly in back to back to back stretches. dude had 9 points in a 3 minute stretch without shooting threes. just took it right at Johnson and got into the paint.

I totally get why we bet on him because he gives you a lot to get excited about. I just don't know how long we're supposed to wait for him to turn into that player.

I think he pretty much is what he is. I've been very openly critical of him, but mostly for the reasons you've shown here. I see the talent. I see the flashes of a guy who could be an all-star. But there are literally dozens of guys like that in the NBA who do it exactly like he does - intermittently. He is the PG version of Jeff Green. He's fool's gold. A good backup exactly because he might give you 20-5-10 one night, with 3 steels; but a bad starter because he's just as likely to put up 6-3-4 with lazy defense. I think the time for waiting on him to turn into that player passed about midway through last season. I'm encouraged that he's looked so good off the bench, but I've expected that he would for some time. I think we should just accept that he's a really good backup PG and move on to finding our starting PG.

I think he pretty much is what he is. I've been very openly critical of him, but mostly for the reasons you've shown here. I see the talent. I see the flashes of a guy who could be an all-star. But there are literally dozens of guys like that in the NBA who do it exactly like he does - intermittently. He is the PG version of Jeff Green. He's fool's gold. A good backup exactly because he might give you 20-5-10 one night, with 3 steels; but a bad starter because he's just as likely to put up 6-3-4 with lazy defense. I think the time for waiting on him to turn into that player passed about midway through last season. I'm encouraged that he's looked so good off the bench, but I've expected that he would for some time. I think we should just accept that he's a really good backup PG and move on to finding our starting PG.

Yeah as I see it right now we got backup PG'S. Payton has been better lately but not enough to say he's a legit starter. DJ is not a starter and neither is CJ.

Find another backup pg who has put up the 20 pts 5+ reb 6+ assists games multiple times. He is starter quality. And he is one tough sob to put up with the crap his coaches have put him through.

Payton has only done that 1 time this year.

Find another backup pg who has put up the 20 pts 5+ reb 6+ assists games multiple times. He is starter quality. And he is one tough sob to put up with the crap his coaches have put him through.

Brandon Knight, Austin Rivers, J.J. Barea (before he got hurt, he had a couple, and he's made a career out of doing exactly that) all have had multiple very similar games. It would be easier if most backup PGs got Payton's minutes (virtually none get the 25-30 minutes Payton gets off the bench). That's just other guys this year that I can think of off the top of my head, and only the ones at the PG position.

What exactly have his coaches put him through? Until recently, he's been the most coddled player on the roster. Hell, Vuc was brought off the bench for multiple games before this kid. Jesus, man, think before you post.

Jeremy Lin, Rodney Stuckey, Mo Williams.

Jrue Holiday did it 5 times last year but that's because they did a weird thing where they brought him off the bench.

here's the list of the 35 players that have done it over the past 5 years

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=career&year_min=2013&year_max=2017&is_playoffs=N&age_min=0&age_max=99&is_starter=N&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&c1stat=pts&c1comp=gt&c1val=20&c2stat=trb&c2comp=gt&c2val=5&c3stat=ast&c3comp=gt&c3val=6&order_by=pts

I knew that would get you guys going. Haha

I mean, when you say "find me _____" that has to do with basketball and we have a tool that is capable of finding those things in like 30 seconds of total investment it's not all that big of a deal.

• Upvote 1

I knew that would get you guys going. Haha

Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to say that I'd take Payton over all but about 3-5 backup PG's in the league. As my backup PG. So he's a top-5 backup PG. That's not so bad.