Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

And they just played last night did they not?

But man, this screams trap game. I hope we bring the D!

I was watching the game and they were giving Toronto everything they could handle until the 4th quarter

I was watching the game and they were giving Toronto everything they could handle until the 4th quarter

Weird. Though they did have a defensive rating of 138. Might help our offensive numbers

I don't think its necessarily about having a few bad games here and there. P4TW is right -- his overall stats suggest he's better than Augustine. The issue right now is fit -- he doesn't fit in the SL because of his shooting. I'm personally convinced that you can't start EP and Gordon together -- and I think Vogel thinks so too -- so he moved Gordon to the SL to try to get his offense going. That, combined with Gordon's D, is allowing us to gaurd the other teams best player by our best individual defender from the get-go.

The one flaw of Payton is fatal to our SL. Until he can learn to shoot more consistently this is the best action.

I agree but I would like to see more good shooters around Payton. Ag has disappointed in that aspect and I don't think he is the answer at the 3 position

Sure. But all good point guards have fewer bad games than Payton.

Nobody rational thinks Payton isn't a nba player or some horrible point guard. Just he's probably not the point guard of the future and he's at an improvable position.

I'm pretty rational (overall; like anyone, I have my moments), but I think Payton is a horrible starting PG in today's NBA. It's possible to put a team around him that is successful, but it's too difficult with his poor shooting and inconsistent effort. But I've said before that there is a fine line between a horrible starting PG and a good backup PG. To me, Payton's got everything necessary to be a really good backup PG, because it mitigates his inconsistent effort, so you should have a higher ratio of good Payton to bad Payton.

The Grizzlies list 6 players as out tonight: Vince Carter, Mike Conley, James Ennis III, Chandler Parsons, Zach Randolph & Brandan Wright.

So how many players are listed as available?

I agree but I would like to see more good shooters around Payton. Ag has disappointed in that aspect and I don't think he is the answer at the 3 position

This thing is, his defense is stellar at the 3. He needs work offensively at that position but he's young. His shot isn't broken -- he's just not consistent. I'd argue that his offensive ceiling is higher than Payton's. So that's what we're gonna try to work on and that's why we're gonna start him and give him touches.

I think by the end of the year we will get a good indication of how Gordon will fare out.

Honestly going forward I think you have to pick one of Gordon or Peyton. You choose Peyton, go get a scoring SF. Choose Gordon, go get a scoring PG

Honestly going forward I think you have to pick one of Gordon or Peyton. You choose Peyton, go get a scoring SF. Choose Gordon, go get a scoring PG

Not exactly Sophie's Choice, eh?

And there's nothing that great currently available at either position.

So... am I crazy to think that Vuch is playing close to the best he ever has? Sure his offense has fallen way off, but on defense I rarely see him put a foot wrong these days.