Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

Some high school video of Isaac. His offense looks a lot better here than what he showed at FSU; but, he played a different role on that team. I think he's still adjusting to his growth spurt (if that makes sense) and once he gets comfortable, sky is the limit for this guy.

That's what Kenny Smith was saying last night. At IMG, Isaac played a ton of guard and then at FSU he turned into this shot blocking and rebounding stud. The sky is the limit for him. He just needs to become more aggressive and fill out.

He grew 6-8 inches his senior year of high school. He is definitely still adjusting to the new frame but he can still handle the ball well. Vogel will do very well with him and he has crazy upside.

At :32, that's pretty impressive.

There is nothing wrong with only drafting two guys this year and getting some value later.

Except we didn't get value later for those picks. 25 we traded for a pick that might be 25 in three years, if we're lucky, or it might just as likely be two second-rounders. 35 we traded for almost certainly a worse pick in the future.

I have no problem with us not drafting 4 rookies. I have a problem with giving assets away for nothing, which is what we did.

see but that's not what highest ceiling means. A player's ceiling is how talented they can be in the league compared to other players. Manu Ginobili had more success in the league long term compared to Tracy McGrady but it's crazy to say he had a higher ceiling.

I'm saying player to player, too. I see Isaac having a Paul George or Antetkounmpo like ceiling. His floor to me is Harkless. I think he was a swing for the fences pick and totally fits the history of our new management.

I think they did in the short term.

Getting him to instinctively to play D is already there yeah. It won't be like Vuch and Mario. He'll come in and defend immediately that's correct but I think they see a lot of offensive potential too.

LOSERS

1. CHICAGO BULLS

The Bulls might’ve taken the biggest step back among all teams tonight. Not only did they trade their franchise player and multi-time All-Star in swingman Butler, but they managed to trade their 16th overall pick and sell off their 38th pick to the Warriors (which resulted in big man Jordan Bell).

The Bulls put themselves in contention for next year’s top overall pick with these moves, and there should be more on the horizon. Don’t be surprised if the Bulls decide to buy out Dwyane Wade and cut loose Rajon Rondo with his team option because of this youth movement. It’s going to be a long rebuild in Chicago.

2. ORLANDO MAGIC

I was not a fan of the Magic’s draft, as they decided to go the defensive route with Jonathan Isaac at sixth overall instead of addressing their point guard situation. They might’ve taken a slight reach drafting Wesley Iwundu in the second round, as he’ll have a lot of developing to do to become a rotational NBA player.

The Magic need a leader and a point guard for the future. Orlando needs to add more firepower to its team and didn’t really address that in this draft. The Magic even wound up trading out of the first round with their 25th overall pick to receive a future first and second in 2020. I guess that’s a good thing, right?

3. DETROIT PISTONS

I thought the Pistons would shoot for a higher upside prospect like Donovan Mitchell at 12th overall, knowing that Kentavious Caldwell-Pope might not be returning. Mitchell could also play some point guard if Reggie Jackson isn’t the long-term answer there. But Detroit opted to take the safer route with Luke Kennard, a lethal pick and role player and overall scorer.

I’m just not super-high on Kennard with his lack of length and defensive upside. He’s essentially an offensive player with his elite shooting ability and solid passing skill. Kennard should be able to play minutes immediately with that shot, but defense will always be the biggest question for him.

https://www.fanragsp...winners-losers/

I'm saying player to player, too. I see Isaac having a Paul George or Antetkounmpo like ceiling. His floor to me is Harkless. I think he was a swing for the fences pick and totally fits the history of our new management.

I actually think his floor is AK47. Not Harkless. Not at all.

His ceiling? Definitely George or KD lite.

I don't think they drafted Isaac to be just a defender.

Oh I agree. I was referring more to Odin's post that mentioned Isaac likely wouldn't completely transform any individual facet of the team. My point being he might be able to defensively, at the very least in the short-term. I actually am not seeing why folks are concerned about his upside? It does seem extremely high to me considering his attributes, the growth spurt, and the skills he already does possess at his size. I was all aboard the DSJr train but ceiling wise it seems to me Isaac is right there with just about anyone else in this draft, he's just not a stud PG.