Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

You apparently aren't familiar with FSU basketball and Leonard Hamilton coaching philosophies. FSU played 10-12 players all year last year. He also played with Dwayne Bacon who's success relies on having the ball in his hand. When given the opportunity with more volume, by in large, Johnathan Isaac showed the ability to become an even better player.

If you are good enough talent can't be ignored. The ball will always find your hands.

I actually like Makkanen, his skill set is perfect for the "new" NBA style of play, but you have to play him at the 5 primarily with occasional minutes at the 4. If you pick him, you have to find a way to trade Vucc ASAP

I like his skill. Don't like him at 6 and don't like him on a team desperately needing someone that has a shot at being a all star. We have to get that in order for the other dominos to fall. Without FA is blah for the foreseeable future.

half of this message board graduated from FSU.

you can blame low opportunity only so much. Malik Beasley did fine carving out a nice role.

Even the most optimistic scouts and draft experts say "don't expect a star" "projects to be a high value role player who can defend 4 positions and would allow for versatile lineups playing the 3 up to the 5". Nobody says here's the next star.

I actually don't disagree with the assessment of many of the scouts. I think the best comparison I've seen was Andrei Kirilenko. If you get that level of production on both ends of the court, then you have something to build around/with. Johnathan is one of those kids who had a growth spurt his last couple of years in high school, so I do think his ceiling is a bit higher then some may think.

To your point about Malik Beasely...FSU played 8 man rotations the previous year. It simply can't be understated how much Xavier Rathan Mayes and Dwayne Bacon dominated ball possessions this past year.

I actually don't disagree with the assessment of many of the scouts. I think the best comparison I've seen was Andrei Kirilenko. If you get that level of production on both ends of the court, then you have something to build around/with. Johnathan is one of those kids who had a growth spurt his last couple of years in high school, so I do think his ceiling is a bit higher then some may think.

To your point about Malik Beasely...FSU played 8 man rotations the previous year. It simply can't be understated how much Xavier Rathan Mayes and Dwayne Bacon dominated ball possessions this past year.

yeah, but the group of anti-Isaac posters don't disagree with the andre kirilenko assessment. We disagree with the idea of that projection being our best option at 6 when you have smith or monk or tatum there who are flawed but have ceilings that project as guys who can manufacture their own offense at a high level in some way or another.

I don't think anyone wants to build around Kirilenko. And Mann, Bacon, Rathan-Mayes all stepped up in games when it counted. Isaac tended to disappear and swing the ball pretty quickly when it came to him. His best spots were inside, but he tended to hang around the perimeter. He let pressure get to him when trying to be aggressive coming down the court. He definitely had moments, but not the consistency of the other guys, to the point I'd have rather had one of those three with the ball at the end of a game than Isaac.

yeah, but the group of anti-Isaac posters don't disagree with the andre kirilenko assessment. We disagree with the idea of that projection being our best option at 6 when you have smith or monk or tatum there who are flawed but have ceilings that project as guys who can manufacture their own offense at a high level in some way or another.

This 100%.

Fair enough. Tatum will not be available to when we get to 6 unless some crazy Sh#t happens with trades.

I like Monk, but he can't play the point, and is very undersized for the 2 (6-3/ 6-0 wing span). He will struggle guarding most SG's in the league. Will he be able to drop 15-20 every night? probably

Dennis Smith is capable of being very good, but he is a bit of a knuckle head who actually stopped playing hard once NC State got down big. He was even late (accidentally slept in) the other day for pre-draft press interviews for the main prospects.

Defense has to be a factor in determining players impact at the next level. Our defense wasn't any better then the offense last year, and that part of the game can't be dismissed.

Fair enough. Tatum will not be available to when we get to 6 unless some crazy Sh#t happens with trades.

I like Monk, but he can't play the point, and is very undersized for the 2 (6-3/ 6-0 wing span). He will struggle guarding most SG's in the league. Will he be able to drop 15-20 every night? probably

Dennis Smith is capable of being very good, but he is a bit of a knuckle head who actually stopped playing hard once NC State got down big. He was even late (accidentally slept in) the other day for pre-draft press interviews for the main prospects.

Defense has to be a factor in determining players impact at the next level. Our defense wasn't any better then the offense last year, and that part of the game can't be dismissed.

sure, defense can't be dismissed. but history has shown it's preferable to grab the good offense/bad defense guard/wing first, then build a scheme around that player to hide him, then find players that fit that scheme vs draft lower ceiling defensive players first then waiting for the top tier offensive player to present itself later through trades, free agency, or getting lucky with a comparably later draft pick. Otherwise we're in a weird holding pattern treading water until we find that guy.