Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

I'm not sure how to relate those players to the comps you made, seems arbitrary. Even if we roll with those guys, that collectively would still be better than our 2014 draft. Ntilinka is perhaps the one player more enigmatic than LM in this draft. I have no idea what Frank could become, LM might eventually be a Frye type, but he might be a Dirk type as well. The upside is far greater than previous drafts, 2014 in particular there was just AG. He's a good player, but just a role player with an increasingly defined ceiling.

I'm not sure how to relate those players to the comps you made, seems arbitrary. Even if we roll with those guys, that collectively would still be better than our 2014 draft. Ntilinka is perhaps the one player more enigmatic than LM in this draft. I have no idea what Frank could become, LM might eventually be a Frye type, but he might be a Dirk type as well. The upside is far greater than previous drafts, 2014 in particular there was just AG. He's a good player, but just a role player with an increasingly defined ceiling.

But, see, you cant use the absence of evidence to support someone being better. a mystery box isn't inherently better than a known quantity just because it could be anything.

There's a reason Frank is going late lottery. He's a role player on a lower level team that shows high level talent in age group situations but just fits in on his pro-team. Scouts project him as a safe pick as he's a good defender and a good shooter but doesn't have an elite tool to project him as a high level starter. But that doesn't mean he's bad. Hes a multi-positional defender who can play off ball and is the exact guy you want next to a ball dominant wing like George or butler or a bad defense point guard like lillard or an undersized two like monk. but that's not someone you take at 6 with the roster we have

The Markkanen-dirk comparisons are lazy because both are white, poor defense, great shooting, European 7 footers. Markkanen doesn't have the playmaking that dirk had. And the recipe for taking markkanen out of games was figured out late in the year. Teams started sticking small forwards on him and his three point percentage dropped to 28% over the last 16 games. Dirk would take defenders into the post. That's not a part of Lauri's game.

• Upvote 1

Would y'all trade vuch to Charlotte to get Zach Collins?

I would trade anybody/everybody on our team except AG for whatever picks we can get for them. We suck bad and a few minor tweaks by adding a couple of new players is not going to fix that.

But, see, you cant use the absence of evidence to support someone being better. a mystery box isn't inherently better than a known quantity just because it could be anything.

There's a reason Frank is going late lottery. He's a role player on a lower level team that shows high level talent in age group situations but just fits in on his pro-team. Scouts project him as a safe pick as he's a good defender and a good shooter but doesn't have an elite tool to project him as a high level starter. But that doesn't mean he's bad. Hes a multi-positional defender who can play off ball and is the exact guy you want next to a ball dominant wing like George or butler or a bad defense point guard like lillard or an undersized two like monk. but that's not someone you take at 6 with the roster we have

The Markkanen-dirk comparisons are lazy because both are white, poor defense, great shooting, European 7 footers. Markkanen doesn't have the playmaking that dirk had. And the recipe for taking markkanen out of games was figured out late in the year. Teams started sticking small forwards on him and his three point percentage dropped to 28% over the last 16 games. Dirk would take defenders into the post. That's not a part of Lauri's game.

His fallaway jumper and smooth release is vintage Dirk. It's not lazy. As with all bigs in college, they will have more room to operate in the post once they get to the L. LM will be the same, though with the current trends I would say he'll be more concerned about nailing 3 pointers than about posting people up.

Your first sentence could have been used in response to your original statement as well, it's a platitude that we've all heard before. There is little reason to believe that IF we were to get two top 10 picks in THIS draft that it wouldn't be our best draft in a long time. It's silly to argue otherwise...unless you believe we have had a fantastic draft somewhat recently, which would be idiotic on top of silly.

His fallaway jumper and smooth release is vintage Dirk. It's not lazy. As with all bigs in college, they will have more room to operate in the post once they get to the L. LM will be the same, though with the current trends I would say he'll be more concerned about nailing 3 pointers than about posting people up.

Your first sentence could have been used in response to your original statement as well, it's a platitude that we've all heard before. There is little reason to believe that IF we were to get two top 10 picks in THIS draft that it wouldn't be our best draft in a long time. It's silly to argue otherwise...unless you believe we have had a fantastic draft somewhat recently, which would be idiotic on top of silly.

but we're not talking about 2 top 10 picks. we're talking specifically about ntilikina and markkanen. if we got smith and Collins or monk and ntilikina or tatum and markkanen it'd be a different story. But to suggest getting the two worst players projected in the top 10 is some sort of haul is dumb.

• Upvote 2

Seems like he's only high on Tatum

its not he, it's 5 different people they combine to form an anonymous opinion. hence why you get something like this with Briscoe:

The dude can pass. He’s strong and can guard multiple positions, but I think most teams are weary of him because they don’t know what his role would be offensively. He’s not a great passer but he’s adequate.

I like this:

Josh Jackson, 6’8” freshman forward, Kansas

“He’s my favorite player in this draft. As gifted a scorer as he is, I think he has a lot of untapped potential in that area. The off-court stuff is definitely a concern. You’re talking about two incidents in one year. Is that going to be a lingering issue? You don’t have to run plays for him. I think one day he could be a Jimmy Butler type guy :happypuppy:/>/> . He has shooting deficiencies, but they went in at Kansas. I don’t know how they went in, but they did. He plays with a chip on his shoulder. If he’s able to shoot, he’ll be a Grant Hill :bigparty:/>/> or an Iguodala. If he doesn’t, he’ll be like Corey Brewer, which is still pretty good :beatcomp:/>/> .”

edit because the emoji's didn't transfer from mobile to a browser well.

Jonathan Wasserman‏Verified account

@NBADraftWass

Would already be Smith's 2nd meeting with Orlando. Not sure it explains his non-workout for NY but it could suggest real interest from Magic

I like this:

edit because the emoji's didn't transfer from mobile to a browser well.

If he can shoot he's Grant Hill or Iggy?! Lol