Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

How good is DSJ's shot? Also what is the best player comp for him?

He's a 44/35/78 guy now with the potential for better. Maybe Lillard as far as player comps but a bit more athletic and streaky

How good is DSJ's shot? Also what is the best player comp for him?

his shot is like westbrookish? He shoots it with confidence. he can hit shots from anywhere on the court. some games it just doesn't go in.

Its hard to say because if I say "should be a 33-36% shooter in the nba" you might imagine someone like Oladipo. But he's not that. Oladipo takes shots like he's an average shooter. Smith shoots like Meeks but makes less and goes through wild swings in efficiency.

yeah, and I think that's what smith has best going for him. Fit.

I know exactly what he is. He can run a pick and roll. he's going to be able to get to the rim. he's going to be able to pull up when guys go under screens. he's going to be feisty and angry and go at people when he feels slighted. He's going to try to dunk on guys. He's going to shoot a bad 30 footer when we're down 5 with 90 seconds left to try to get us back into the game. I see it. I cant see the level of success or failure he has. but his game is obvious.

Maybe he ends up being steve francis where he flashes then slowly burns out before accomplishing anything. Maybe [player x] ends up being a better bet. But I know who he is and that's comforting in a way.

I love players like that. When was the last time we had a player with that mentality? Sounds like Westbrook to me. (Obviously will more than likely never be him)

I meant talent wise and skill set lol

Yeah, I know but I don't have the answer. He has offensive skills that were not properly tapped into but Giannis is a specimen

I love players like that. When was the last time we had a player with that mentality? Sounds like Westbrook to me. (Obviously will more than likely never be him)

yeah. take westbrook and multiply all of his stats by 80% for his career and I think that's probably near what smith's career page on basketball reference is going to look like in 2026

It's funny, I wanted to say Westbrook-light but I didn't want to sound overly optimistic. I love his game, mind set, athleticism, all of it...but Westbrook is one of a kind, sort of like Giannis. Dream big though right?

It's funny, I wanted to say Westbrook-light but I didn't want to sound overly optimistic. I love his game, mind set, athleticism, all of it...but Westbrook is one of a kind, sort of like Giannis. Dream big though right?

its hard. because, yeah. there's not a ton of comparable guys that have played like that over the past 20 years.

westbrook lite is steve francis though, right?

Kenny Anderson?

Kevin Johnson?

edit: its also hard because for a huge chunk of nba history, if you could get to the rim you really didn't shoot too many jumpers.

I wonder if the team still believes in EP as the long term starter with his improvement at the end of the season.

its hard. because, yeah. there's not a ton of comparable guys that have played like that over the past 20 years.

westbrook lite is steve francis though, right?

Kenny Anderson?

Kevin Johnson?

edit: its also hard because for a huge chunk of nba history, if you could get to the rim you really didn't shoot too many jumpers.

And I like that. A guy might get hot and go on a tear from the field and three point line but then maybe he's cold. "Ah well, I'll just dunk on ya. Or go to the line. Or both."

At the least it's entertaining.

I still like the Baron Davis comp and yeah, Westbrook lite is Francis. Maybe Marbury too.