Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

I like bolden.

Is Giles worth grabbing with our late 1st if he is still there? His stock seems to have plummeted off the face of the earth, but he was once seen as possibly the best player in this class, right?

Is Giles worth grabbing with our late 1st if he is still there? His stock seems to have plummeted off the face of the earth, but he was once seen as possibly the best player in this class, right?

Giles potential for playing less than 50 games in his career and being out of the league after two years is massively greater than him turning back into the pre-injury player.

the philosophy has to be "at what point are you drafting a replacement level player". if you think the guys at 20 are almost definitively high level bench guys then you don't draft Giles. if you think the guys at 25 are almost definitively high level bench guys then you don't draft giles. if you think the guys at 33 or 35 are definitively high level bench guys you don't draft Giles. and by high level bench guys I mean like 6-8 in the rotation for a playoff team.

But if we're at 25 and we're looking at a bunch of guys who might suck or might contribute you might as well take Giles. It doesn't make sense to draft the miles plumlee equivalent because you can find those guys everywhere.

so basically, if the staff really loves a guy at 25 that they can see becoming something you take that guy. but if you're just looking at a bunch of average players you take Giles.

Giles potential for playing less than 50 games in his career and being out of the league after two years is massively greater than him turning back into the pre-injury player.

the philosophy has to be "at what point are you drafting a replacement level player". if you think the guys at 20 are almost definitively high level bench guys then you don't draft Giles. if you think the guys at 25 are almost definitively high level bench guys then you don't draft giles. if you think the guys at 33 or 35 are definitively high level bench guys you don't draft Giles. and by high level bench guys I mean like 6-8 in the rotation for a playoff team.

But if we're at 25 and we're looking at a bunch of guys who might suck or might contribute you might as well take Giles. It doesn't make sense to draft the miles plumlee equivalent because you can find those guys everywhere.

so basically, if the staff really loves a guy at 25 that they can see becoming something you take that guy. but if you're just looking at a bunch of average players you take Giles.

I think at 33 or 35, he should be worth the risk. The contract would be non guaranteed, and we could stash him in the D-League for a bit to see if he can recapture any of his former ability/potential.

Who do you like that should be available late?

I think at 33 or 35, he should be worth the risk. The contract would be non guaranteed, and we could stash him in the D-League for a bit to see if he can recapture any of his former ability/potential.

Who do you like that should be available late?

Bell

Ojeleye

thornewell

bolden

There only two reasons for the Lakers trading that pick:

1. After Fultz, the rest of the players are on the same level. Let's say the Kings offer 5 and 10, perhaps their second round pick as well, or they throw in a player like Malachi Richardson. At that point if the Lakers have Ball, Fox, Smith, Monk, Jackson, Tatum, and Isaac in the same tier, then trading back for an extra pick or picks plus another prospect might be of interest to them.

2. They get offered a star player for their second overall pick. Let's say the Bulls pick up the phone and offer Butler, or the Pacers offer George, then at that point maybe they get tempted and do a deal.

With that said, I don't see them trading the pick. The big question for them is whether they go Ball or Jackson. I'd like to see them go for Jackson since maybe Ball falls to us at six (doubtful but I can dream!), but I suspect Ball to the Lakers is the pick they'll make.