Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

Is Tatum above Smith Jr. for most people at this point?

I still have Smith ahead because of potential

Due to having a definitive position, better performances in tougher games, and lack of a significant injury history I have Tatum ahead of Smith.

Is Tatum above Smith Jr. for most people at this point?

I still have Smith ahead because of potential

This is a tough one for me, as Tatum and Smith Jr are 2 of my favorite players in the draft outside of Fultz, Ball & Jackson--those 2 round out my top 5.

I really do not know who I would take. I think Tatum may be the safer option. Both fill a position of need (sorry, but I think Ross is best suited off the bench and I like Ross a lot).

I would not be mad at either. If I had to pick as of right now--I think I'd go Tatum. He just seems incredibly smooth to me. His offense is already really polished and he's an animal in transition.

I have this vision of Tatum and AG grabbing a board and just running. That is a tough tandem to defend in transition. I'm anti Payton but even he would love running the break with those 2.

This is a tough one for me, as Tatum and Smith Jr are 2 of my favorite players in the draft outside of Fultz, Ball & Jackson--those 2 round out my top 5.

I really do not know who I would take. I think Tatum may be the safer option. Both fill a position of need (sorry, but I think Ross is best suited off the bench and I like Ross a lot).

I would not be mad at either. If I had to pick as of right now--I think I'd go Tatum. He just seems incredibly smooth to me. His offense is already really polished and he's an animal in transition.

I have this vision of Tatum and AG grabbing a board and just running. That is a tough tandem to defend in transition. I'm anti Payton but even he would love running the break with those 2.

I think this draft we might just need to take the stance that there's 7 or 8 guys that could be really good. so as long as we get our preferred guy out of those 7 or 8 players we should be fine with it. This isn't a situation where there's a Muiday or a Willie Cauley Stein sitting there and mock drafts saying "well mudiay was bad in china but he was the number 1 ranked high school prospect so he could have been the number 1 pick!".

We're in a situation where there's reason to believe that every guy is going to be great. Every guy has shown a pretty high ceiling. So just trust that interviews and workouts will provide something to differentiate the players.

I think this draft we might just need to take the stance that there's 7 or 8 guys that could be really good. so as long as we get our preferred guy out of those 7 or 8 players we should be fine with it. This isn't a situation where there's a Muiday or a Willie Cauley Stein sitting there and mock drafts saying "well mudiay was bad in china but he was the number 1 ranked high school prospect so he could have been the number 1 pick!".

We're in a situation where there's reason to believe that every guy is going to be great. Every guy has shown a pretty high ceiling. So just trust that interviews and workouts will provide something to differentiate the players.

Yea and this is why I feel great about things heading into this draft. We should be locked in to pick no worse than 6 or maybe 7--maybe top 3--which is a great position to be in.

Could this possibly be a 2003 type draft without a Lebron James type talent? Or is that too high an expectation?

Could this possibly be a 2003 type draft without a Lebron James type talent? Or is that too high an expectation?

That's too high. More like 2007

Yea I don't think there is a generational talent in this draft--but a deep list of guys who could be perennial all-stars.

Yea I don't think there is a generational talent in this draft--but a deep list of guys who could be perennial all-stars.

That's the idea I was trying to go for by eliminating Lebron. Unless you see Wade, Bosh, or Melo as generational talents.

Around where do these guys fit on the below scale? Do they mostly fall into the 7 range? Any possibly 8-9s?

10- generational talent like Lebron

9- one step down/MVP: Durant and Curry

8- multiple time all star/ all nba- Griffin and Paul George

7- 1-2 time all star/ 1 time all nba

6- borderline all star

5- decent starter

4- Good 6th man

3- bench player

2- scrub

1- D-league

That's the idea I was trying to go for by eliminating Lebron. Unless you see Wade, Bosh, or Melo as generational talents.

Around where do these guys fit on the below scale? Do they mostly fall into the 7 range? Any possibly 8-9s?

6- borderline all star

5- decent starter

4- Good 6th man

3- bench player

2- scrub

1- D-league

It's hard to judge players using this scale. Fultz could be a 9 or any 8 or a 7 or a 6 with varying probabilities.

6- borderline all star

5- decent starter

4- Good 6th man

3- bench player

2- scrub

1- D-league

I like this scale.

I would say maybe 2 in the 9 range. I think you could get 3-4 in the 8 range. Than a couple from the 7 range.

I like this scale.

I would say maybe 2 in the 9 range. I think you could get 3-4 in the 8 range. Than a couple from the 7 range.

You might want to check past drafts-

2003 had 1 in the 10 range, 1 in the 9 range, 2 in the 8 range, and 5 in the 6-7 range and that was one of the best drafts of all time.

If the top 8 or so are really as solid as people are saying, this draft probably has 4-5 in the 6-7 range, 1-2 in the 8 range. At least 1-2 of the top 8 picks is likely to be a bit of a bust. Maybe there is a 9, but not every draft has a guy that is MVP quality.

It's hard to judge players using this scale. Fultz could be a 9 or any 8 or a 7 or a 6 with varying probabilities.

I am not trying to get where one specific guy is going to fall, though I would say getting a guy that likely falls at a 6 on the scale at worst is very good. Obviously, it is hard to see where exactly guys fall on the scale until they have a couple of years in the league. Even guys like Gordon can be hard to pin down exactly. I could see Gordon as going as high as 8 if everything breaks just right, but he might end up a 6 if things don't.

My question was more where does it currently look like the strength of this draft class is? Is there a can't miss player who grades out at an 8 at the very least? Is it more likely that there are a bunch of really good players AKA multi-time allstars, but with no game changer? Or is it one of those drafts where there might be one or two good players and the rest end up just being decent starters at their peak?