Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

CBS Sports latest mock draft has us taking Jayson Tatum at 4. Fultz 1 to Boston, Josh Jackson 2nd to Phoenix, Jonathan Isaac 3rd to the Lakers. Lonzo Ball 5th to Philadelphia, Dennis Smith at 8 to the Knicks, Malik Monk at 11 to Chicago, us taking Josh Hart out of Villanova with the 25th pick. I think Hennigan would get crucified on here if he passed on both Smith and Ball, but I can definitely see the hesitation on Ball. That kid's dad is killing his draft stock.

Tatum and Isaac are too high, Ball could realistically be in play at 4. Smith and Monk are in their respective range imo. Monk might be a little low, I think 9 or 10 is more likely. Unless we are drafting much later than our current position I hope Smith isn't even in consideration and therefore no crucifixions are necessary.

Tatum and Isaac are too high, Ball could realistically be in play at 4. Smith and Monk are in their respective range imo. Monk might be a little low, I think 9 or 10 is more likely. Unless we are drafting much later than our current position I hope Smith isn't even in consideration and therefore no crucifixions are necessary.

What's wrong with Smith?

What's wrong with Smith?

Nothing. Some people just like to pick his game apart, but I think Murphy is someone who wants to keep Payton around so yea.

Nothing. Some people just like to pick his game apart, but I think Murphy is someone who wants to keep Payton around so yea.

I don't see as much in him as others, sure. I don't think he's a better prospect than the one we have, sure. What really matters to me is that I don't want to spend another 3 years after this one developing a new point guard when we've already invested the time into one unless the new pg is a game-changing talent...and there is only one guaranteed pg fitting that mold unquestioned right now (Fultz), even Ball is a ? due to his lack of consistent offensive production (sound familiar?), though his other attributes may render that notion obsolete with time in the league. The other pg's are quality prospects but not enough so to punt the pg spot back another few + years imo. I have nothing against Smith, though when I have caught his games he hasn't played particularly well and I am always leery of knee problems in such young kids.

Yeah. Its sad. I hope they get him with the sports science guys who fixed Gordon's landing that resulted in the foot injury

Do you have a link(s) to anything about that? Seems like it'd be interesting.

I don't see as much in him as others, sure. I don't think he's a better prospect than the one we have, sure. What really matters to me is that I don't want to spend another 3 years after this one developing a new point guard when we've already invested the time into one unless the new pg is a game-changing talent...and there is only one guaranteed pg fitting that mold unquestioned right now (Fultz), even Ball is a ? due to his lack of consistent offensive production (sound familiar?), though his other attributes may render that notion obsolete with time in the league. The other pg's are quality prospects but not enough so to punt the pg spot back another few + years imo. I have nothing against Smith, though when I have caught his games he hasn't played particularly well and I am always leery of knee problems in such young kids.

You really don't think Smith Jr is a better NBA prospect than Payton? Yikes.

His scoring ability alone makes him a much better prospect in today's NBA than Payton was or will ever be.

You really don't think Smith Jr is a better NBA prospect than Payton? Yikes.

His scoring ability alone makes him a much better prospect in today's NBA than Payton was or will ever be.

By the time Smith is scoring what he currently is in college Payton will be a vet in the peak of his career (a few years), doing more things that make a good pg than just scoring. Smith MIGHT be a 17/4/4 guy one day, which will remain to be seen for a while. He may have more 20 point games in his career than Payton but you need to be more well rounded than that to stick at the point in the league. Smith isn't the next CP3 or Derrick Rose. His offense is predictable as are his handles, he doesn't have that good of a J and has yet to show the ability to run a PNR effectively, he is very small and will have trouble defending in the league, and he has a serious injury history at a young age. I'm not saying he isn't a good prospect, he is, just not one of the best ones. He's got explosive talent still so he has a chance to be very good for a while.

You can yikes all you want, as it relates to point guards (at a minimum) you have questionable judgement though.