Sign in to follow this  
masazasm2

Skiles resigns

I agree with the quote above. No one has to agree with me, but I am going with Blatt or Messina because they both have a system that involves every single players. The reason why it didn't work for the Cavs because Lebron wanted more touches and Blatt wanted more of their other players to get involved. Lebron didn't like it so he got other players to ignore the plays Blatt made and forced him out of the Cavs.

I was watching the Blatt system, it may work with this team because it gives plays to the shooters, like Fornier and Dipo. This is more of a guards play scheme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO3bJB9JcTo

I'm just going to push whatever coach the smart basketball writers want to push because I don't think the current way the NBA hires coaches (college success, pro-success as an assistant to a good coach, previous head coaching experience) is necessarily conducive to hiring the best fit for your team.

So you find a guy who has relevant experience and interview him. That person might be a terrific interview and have a vision for how to use the players but not be capable of motivating, innovating, or making the proper in game changes (Vinnie Del Negro).

Or you might have a guy who has some pro success and high level success as an assistant with a fantastic reputation as an offensive genius. You hire him and your offense tanks. It looked good before because he had MVP caliber players to make him look good (Alvin Gentry).

So I'm not going to comment one way or the other unless there's concrete evidence why someone would be a bad choice (Jackson, Byron Scott, etc).

I disagree this present day circus is on Henny. You need a coach to help with that identity. They have to work together as a cohesive unit on personnel acquisitions which usually leads to team identity.

The problem with us is Henny had no power to hire a coach he can do this with. Instead, we have an CEO who overrided this method of cohesiveness between GM and coach and pushed Skiles, his fav, onto Henny which is an abuse of power that lead to what we have today.

Martins, stay the hell out of it this time. You hired Henny to build, let him hire a coach who can build an team with him. A coach who foresees the bigger picture along side of your young talented GM who has a vision. Something we haven't had in Otis and Weisbrod to some extent. In fact, the last GM you had that had some sort of vision was Gabe and he damn near pulled it off sadly because of an injury that never got right. Leave the man alone. Do your quarterly meetings if you like but stop living in your box and let Henny do what he needs to do. Get off the nepotism wagon and get on the Henny train. If he fails in time at least we simply move on without being an laughing stock of the NBA.

Have we hired a new coach yet?

Skiles should have waited until today, Friday the 13th, to drop the bomb...

By what date do we think the Magic should have our new coach?

Hope we get some news on who is being lined up for interviews..

Henny says there's urgency to get a new coach asap. I don't think that it will be rushed though. A lot of candidates right now and I'm sure Henny is working on it as we speak (that is if Martins lets him).

Three weeks-ish.

three weeks gives us time to properly evaluate interest in the job and evaluate the candidates.

lets say the hiring is on 06/03. He gets situated and his first day as "coach" is 6/06. That week can be getting used to the players, staff, Orlando in general, etc.

The week of 6/13 we have pre-draft workouts, development of a future plan, etc.

The week of 6/20 we finalize our draft board and have any last minute draft discussions and start to finalize our plan for free agency.

6/23 is the draft

week of 6/30 we start to plan around summer league and figure out who needs to be where in free agency.

so hiring a guy by 6/03 we get the chance to have the new coach present and able to provide input for the major actions happening in june.

Kevin Ollie or Frank Vogel, would be my choices. Ollie played in the NBA and is now coaching UConn, so he knows the NBA and knows how to coach young players. So he can relate on both levels. And Vogel has proven Winning experience. I would prefer Ollie but Vogel would not be bad either.

Kevin Ollie or Frank Vogel, would be my choices. Ollie played in the NBA and is now coaching UConn, so he knows the NBA and knows how to coach young players. So he can relate on both levels. And Vogel has proven Winning experience. I would prefer Ollie but Vogel would not be bad either.

I forgot about Ollie. Doubt he'd take the job, but I like him.

as someone that is definitely not going to be a candidate but someone I was looking at for a potential signing in 2018 when we were supposed to dump skiles I like Bobby Hurley. He's doing some nice things at Arizona State. Needs a few years.