Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Nylon Calculus published their version of real plus-minus. Some interesting observations:

1. Only Gordon, Oladipo, and Vucevic had a net positive rating.

2. Hezonja's defense was so bad he was ranked as our worst player, edging out Marble and Watson.

3. Payton was ranked .1 positive on offense, but -2.1 on defense.

4. Fournier was ranked 1.2 positive on offense, but -1.8 on defense.

http://nyloncalculus...inus-2015-2016/

Doesn't surprise me. Hezonja was really up and down on defense last year.

EDIT: it's also not really about his defense. Young players just suck generally. In context with other rookies Hezonja is above Russell, Mudiay, Stanley Johnson, and Booker.

That's why Gordon being so positive is cause for optimism.

If Payton can start showing incremental growth on the offensive end and combine that by becoming a stout defensive player, the one many believed he’d be when he entered the league, that gives more hope for the Magic that Payton is worth the gamble long-term.

That’s where the problem lies for the Magic. Not only are the Magic betting on Payton to start delivering when the pressure is on, but they don’t have much of a backup plan in case he doesn’t show signs of being a starting level point guard soon.

Their current alternatives, C.J. Watson and D.J. Augustin, are hardly viable starting options for the foreseeable future, despite their long-spanning deals with the team.

Sure, they both can deliver solid backup minutes in theory, but between Watson’s injury troubles and Augustin’s trick-or-treat production, the Magic will have to see if either or both players are sure things as reserves.

A lot is riding on the Magic to turn their fortunes around and more importantly, turn their high risk plan into high reward for the upcoming season and beyond.

https://hoopshabit.c...-guard-problem/

I wonder if anyone is going to get fired for plagiarism because I've yet to find a take that stands out.

Every single evaluation has been the following:

1. Jeff Green????

2. Gordon at 3???? but he's a 4???

3. less minutes for young players

4. is payton good?

Though it is pretty funny getting negative marks by not addressing the point guard position by only "bringing in Augustin who is more of a good backup at this point" but hypothetically had we signed Rondo or Deron Williams or something we'd be dinged for limiting Payton's development with low ceiling starters.

I cant wait for the preseason to start and this discussion exits the hypothetical realm and we have concrete things to talk about.

I wonder if anyone is going to get fired for plagiarism because I've yet to find a take that stands out.

Every single evaluation has been the following:

1. Jeff Green????

2. Gordon at 3???? but he's a 4???

3. less minutes for young players

4. is payton good?

Though it is pretty funny getting negative marks by not addressing the point guard position by only "bringing in Augustin who is more of a good backup at this point" but hypothetically had we signed Rondo or Deron Williams or something we'd be dinged for limiting Payton's development with low ceiling starters.

I cant wait for the preseason to start and this discussion exits the hypothetical realm and we have concrete things to talk about.

I am done with the off-season. It needs to be over as of last month.

99. Aaron Gordon, PF, Magic

Ben Golliver

Monday September 12th, 2016

The “Butt Dunk” was one of the most ingenious Slam Dunk Contest entries ever. Ever. But Aaron Gordon is already much more than a dunker. Make no mistake, the bounce and energy behind Gordon’s slamming prowess is the central force in his overall game at this point: he puts his leaping ability and high activity level to good use in myriad ways, pursuing second-chance points, clearing the defensive glass, skying for the occasional weakside help block and even pushing the pace in transition by himself occasionally. Although Gordon was only a part-time starter in his second season, he got a lot done in the minutes he filled, grading out well in all of the major advanced stats. As he enters Year Rhree—and prepares to play for his fourth coach (counting interims) and alongside a host of new frontline additions—the 20-year-old Gordon looks poised to blossom from role player into priority. If he can continue to show progress on his corner three and playmaking for others, Gordon has a shot at being the type of versatile, do-everything forward that gives opponents nightmares. (Last year: Not ranked)

+ He is younger entering his third season than when Blake Griffin made his NBA debut

+ He led the Magic with 72 dunks last season, nearly double his next closest teammate

– He played the four most of last year, but will likely shift due to Ibaka, Biyombo's arrival

– Although he’s made strides at the line (up to 66.8% last year, there’s still work to be done

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/12/nba-top-100-player-rankings

Fournier, Biyombo, and Vucevic are also on the list.

Ibaka is noticeably absent. If they include him in the top 50 I think that's probably too high. If they don't include him in the top 100 that's bad too. I'd think he'd be somewhere around 65. How do you have Noel at 84 but no Ibaka when we wouldn't trade ibaka for Noel and a lotto protected first if they made that offer.

Ibaka is noticeably absent. If they include him in the top 50 I think that's probably too high. If they don't include him in the top 100 that's bad too. I'd think he'd be somewhere around 65. How do you have Noel at 84 but no Ibaka when we wouldn't trade ibaka for Noel and a lotto protected first if they made that offer.

How is Noel on the list at all?