Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Please...I remember it like it was this morning.

I loved watching Penny play (I'm an former pg who loved to pass with creativity and fundamentally) and Penny was an all around, remarkable, player but Tmac was a few steps above Penny.

I don't think you have an clue how good Tmac was and how great he really could've been. He was well on his way to becoming one of the GOAT.

The best way I can describe it is there is only 10 players to have a PER over 30. Wilt, Jordan, LeBron, Curry, Anthony Davis, David Robinson, Shaq, Wade, and McGrady.

McGrady's best season was at age 23. He averaged 32.1 ppg 6.5 rpg 5.5 apg on 46/39/79 shooting. Only Jordan, Iverson, and Kobe had a higher scoring average for a season in the last 30 years.

Then the 3-1 curse happened. Then we started 03-04 1-19. I think the problem was we went from a top 5 shooting team with a Armstrong-miller-mcgrady-garrity-worthless center lineup to a lue-giricek-mcgrady-gooden-Juwan Howard lineup. The lack of overall talent in the previous team was mitigated by having 4 shooters on the floor.

I think the top 4 are pretty easy picks:

1. Dwight- longevity and success

2. Shaq- Over all domination

3. T-Mac- One of the best single seasons ever

4. Penny- Great second best player

I think there are then a bunch of players jockeying for 5 place. I don't think Hedo is #5 though, not quite sure why so many magic fans overrate him so much.

Players that should be considered:

Anderson

Armstrong

Hill

Nelson

Lewis

I think the top 4 are pretty easy picks:

1. Dwight- longevity and success

2. Shaq- Over all domination

3. T-Mac- One of the best single seasons ever

4. Penny- Great second best player

I think there are then a bunch of players jockeying for 5 place. I don't think Hedo is #5 though, not quite sure why so many magic fans overrate him so much.

Players that should be considered:

Anderson

Armstrong

Hill

Nelson

Lewis

Hedo is the best player to come out of Turkey. I'd imagine a large amount of his votes were from Turkey.

The best way I can describe it is there is only 10 players to have a PER over 30. Wilt, Jordan, LeBron, Curry, Anthony Davis, David Robinson, Shaq, Wade, and McGrady.

McGrady's best season was at age 23. He averaged 32.1 ppg 6.5 rpg 5.5 apg on 46/39/79 shooting. Only Jordan, Iverson, and Kobe had a higher scoring average for a season in the last 30 years.

Then the 3-1 curse happened. Then we started 03-04 1-19. I think the problem was we went from a top 5 shooting team with a Armstrong-miller-mcgrady-garrity-worthless center lineup to a lue-giricek-mcgrady-gooden-Juwan Howard lineup. The lack of overall talent in the previous team was mitigated by having 4 shooters on the floor.

I would've loved to see Tmac/MnM with an better roster.

I watched old videos of him the other day and it still blows my mind how tuned in he was. He made it look effortless.

Lol. He wasn't even going to be top 5 in the league. He wasn't even the best player on his own team.

McGrady's 02-03 was arguably a top 25 nba season of all time.

You have no clue what your talking about. You were probably in diapers and all you have to go by are you tube videos. Penny was going to be #1 player in the league. He made every body around him better..... unlike T'Mac.

Please...I remember it like it was this morning.

I loved watching Penny play (I'm an former pg who loved to pass with creativity and fundamentally) and Penny was an all around, remarkable, player but Tmac was a few steps above Penny.

I don't think you have an clue how good Tmac was and how great he really could've been. He was well on his way to becoming one of the GOAT.

Sorry but T'Mac left the Magic to worst record in the league....

He no goat. Never would have been. Penny > T'Mac.

You have no clue what your talking about. You were probably in diapers and all you have to go by are you tube videos. Penny was going to be #1 player in the league. He made every body around him better..... unlike T'Mac.

Sorry but T'Mac left the Magic to worst record in the league....

He no goat. Never would have been. Penny > T'Mac.

Wow. How very presumptive and aggressive. But yea, sure. How dare they consider a guy who had one of the most impressive seasons in NBA history, and a string of three years carrying the entire team on his back, better than a guy who was no more successful without Shaq (actually, T-Mac was more consistent in getting his team to the playoffs), and didn't put up the insane numbers! How dare they actually consider that T-Mac, in that worst record season, had what must have been the worst supporting cast of all time! How dare they have a different opinion on a completely subjective thing! INSOLENT FOOLS!!!

Healthy Hill was better than Dwight. That was my criteria. If we're talking about career contributions to the Magic then it's a different list. I'm just basing it on raw talent.

Yeah, sure. Penny was totally better than Jordan. This isn't a homer post at all.

Prove it. Penny was good. Penny wasn't better than Jordan, shaq, hakeem, Barkley, malone, Robinson, ewing in 1996.

He wasn't going to be better than Jordan, malone, shaq, hakeem, maybe Glen Rice in 97.

He wasn't going to be better than Jordan, malone, shaq, Duncan, and Grant hill in 98.

As he enters his prime in 99 at 27 years old he probably has his best chance to be #1 but still isn't better than shaq and Duncan.

2000 he wasn't better than shaq, hill, Duncan, Garnett, Webber. He's maybe better than Iverson and Vince Carter if we're being generous.

2001 he wasn't going to be better than Iverson, shaq, Kobe, Webber, Duncan, Garnett, McGrady.

2002 he's 30 and not going to be better than shaq, pierce, Duncan, mcgrady, Kobe.

2003 he's starting the downswing of his career and not better than mcgrady, Kobe, shaq, pierce, nowitzki, duncan, Garnett

2004 he's not better than Garnett Kobe peja baron Davis, Duncan

2005 he's 33 and no longer a top 20 nba player.

Penny was great. He was destined to be better than Alan Houston, Ray Allen, some but not all Iverson years. He was going to max out as a 24/5/8 type guy. He would fight Gary Payton and Jason Kidd for first team all nba. He wouldn't be the best player in the league due to overlap with Jordan, shaq, Duncan, and Garnett.

As much as I love the Magic, my curiosity of how the game is played professionally from a tactical standpoint has really only came to my interest over the past few seasons. I was a teenager when I remember reading the Bianchi columns on how painful irrelevance and mediocrity is when we were the T-Mac + Doc Rivers team. I remember Grant Hill mostly just being a burden for how much we were paying him and how little he actually played. So this is the first I've heard of Grant Hill actually being a useful asset for a couple of seasons. Anyone know of any GH highlights tapes during these years? Heck, I'd even like to see some T-Mac myself now that I'm more interested. I only just watched the 30 for 30 on the Shaq/Penny years a few weeks ago. Smh. Damn. Those NA FTs puts a little tear in the corner of my eye.

It's all conjecture when it comes to Penny. Injuries killed his career. He carried the magic after shaq left. That playoff series where he had 3 40+ point games was pretty darn impressive!! What could have been hurts for us but even more so for him.

As much as I love the Magic, my curiosity of how the game is played professionally from a tactical standpoint has really only came to my interest over the past few seasons. I was a teenager when I remember reading the Bianchi columns on how painful irrelevance and mediocrity is when we were the T-Mac + Doc Rivers team. I remember Grant Hill mostly just being a burden for how much we were paying him and how little he actually played. So this is the first I've heard of Grant Hill actually being a useful asset for a couple of seasons. Anyone know of any GH highlights tapes during these years? Heck, I'd even like to see some T-Mac myself now that I'm more interested. I only just watched the 30 for 30 on the Shaq/Penny years a few weeks ago. Smh. Damn. Those NA FTs puts a little tear in the corner of my eye.