Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

The Toronto Raptors must want revenge on the Orlando Magic for stealing Bismack Biyombo away this offseason.

According to a report by Doug Smith of the Toronto Star, the Raptors are planning to pursue three-time All-Defensive First Team big man Serge Ibaka next summer with a run at Ibaka said to be “very much on their minds.”

The 26-year-old Ibaka becomes an unrestricted free agent after the 2016-17 campaign. He would make for an excellent fit on a Raptors team with a hole at the power forward position, where they are currently planning to start reclamation project Jared Sullinger next season.

As a multi-purpose big with elite stretch-4 and rim guardian capabilities, Ibaka is an ideal piece to potentially slot next to center Jonas Valanciunas. He is also able to close games as an undersized 5 in certain situations.

Orlando’s frontcourt looks a bit congested after they brought in both Ibaka and Biyombo to compete for playing time with Nikola Vucevic and Aaron Gordon. It’s still uncertain how open Ibaka might be to signing a long-term extension with the Magic, but it looks like he already has options elsewhere should he choose not to.

http://larrybrownspo...t-summer/315175

Toronto wont be the only team making a run at Ibaka. Luckily we can pay him the most and he can avoid state income tax by re-signing here.

We can offer him 5/169.1

Other teams can offer him 4/124.5

He'd have to hate it here to leave that much money on the table

• Upvote 1

It's very possible that the Celtics get the #1 overall pick from the Nets this year...

And this draft looks stacked... wish we could have robbed some team out of a bunch of lottery picks.

the only team I'd be worried about signing ibaka is Minnesota.

If they take off this year and we suck they could offer a vision of Rubio-lavine-wiggins-ibaka-towns

or they could trade Rubio and Pekovic and offer Ibaka and one of the PG options. what if they pull Chris Paul-Lavine-Wiggins-ibaka-Towns with Dunn, Aldrich, Bjelica, payne, jones off the bench.

We can offer him 5/169.1

Other teams can offer him 4/124.5

He'd have to hate it here to leave that much money on the table

My goodness, those numbers are HUGE! I know it's the new normal, but hopefully he earns it from what he does this year vs us just paying him to save face.

My goodness, those numbers are HUGE! I know it's the new normal, but hopefully he earns it from what he does this year vs us just paying him to save face.

He probably wont get that. just if we want him we can offer more to keep him.

If we're giving Ibaka that money I seriously hope he brings it this year. Like 18/9/2.5 with all nba defense on 50/36/80 shooting.

at some point it becomes inconsequential (assuming Gordon is worth the rookie max when we reach that point).

Paying ibaka 19 million vs 31 million doesn't really change the outcome of our free agency in the coming years assuming we trade vucevic at some point.

2018 we're going to have 78 million in committed salary with ibaka at 20 million or 89 million with ibaka at 31. if paul George wants to come here we'll be at the point where we can choose between Fournier and Hezonja, dump one with augustin and sign Paul George.

2019 we're not going to have cap space with a resigned ibaka (at any market rate), a resigned Gordon, a resigned payton (or payton's replacement), and a biyombo cap hold.

2020 we'll have a max slot if we don't make a big move in the meantime.

• Upvote 1