Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

*crosses fingers for RJ Hunter*... although that would mean he probably couldn't beat out guys without guaranteed contracts... but still...

I don't see it being Hunter.

you figure Horford, Johnson, Bradley, zeller, Thomas, crowder, jerebko, brown, smart, olynik, hunter, rozier are safe.

Young, Jackson, mickey, green, Holland, and Bentil are fighting for the last 2 or 3 spots.

Or rebuilding after trading a superstar who demanded a trade under the ugliest of conditions. I think it's amazing how quickly everyone forgets the dysfunction that Henny inherited when taking over GM responsibilities. We were easily the hottest mess of a franchise in the NBA at that time if you all remember. Terrible roster, no cap space, no coach, no up and coming players, no superstar, rookie GM...it was an absolute train wreck

All of this applies to Otis Smith inheriting then T-Mac / Grant Hill mess as well.

We were back in the Finals by this point in the rebuild under Otis.

I'm interested in it. We have too many fans who think they can be GM and that getting a Durant to come here is easy like snap of a finger.

Well in NBA2K I signed LeBron, and Kobe, and drafted Brandon Ingram and assembled the league's best roster so clearly it can be done, because there's no difference in playing MyGM mode and being a real life GM.

All of this applies to Otis Smith inheriting then T-Mac / Grant Hill mess as well.

Gm's don't have a lot of control over the ping pongs.

I don't see it being Hunter.

you figure Horford, Johnson, Bradley, zeller, Thomas, crowder, jerebko, brown, smart, olynik, hunter, rozier are safe.

Young, Jackson, mickey, green, Holland, and Bentil are fighting for the last 2 or 3 spots.

What's crazy is of those guys Jackson, Green, Mickey and Young all have fully guaranteed money this year (from what I could find). Then Bentil is guaranteed 250k too.

we also drafted a hall of famer in year one instead of Andrew Nicholson.

also, no we weren't. the equivalent timeframe is summer of 2007.

Also by the time Otis was made GM we already had Dwight and Jameer, two key pieces in the finals team.

D12 will be a Hall of Famer? I doubt it. No one will nominate the wuss.

Ummm, no, hockey guy drafted Howard and traded for Jameer Nelson. Otis inherited a prime Howard and Jameer. He could have drafted Granger the following year but instead took Vasquez who never played a game in the NBA. Then outbid himself for Rashard Lewis even doing a sign and trade with Seattle to pay him more than we could sign him for outright. If we had drafted Granger we could have made a play for Vince Carter in his prime instead of Rashard Lewis or at the very least had the cap space to add pieces. Instead we were strapped and then got desperate trading for a declining Carter and re-signing Hedo. Otis should get no credit for getting us to the Finals, all he did was overpay Rashard Lewis, who everyone knew was coming to Orlando anyways.

D12 will be a Hall of Famer? I doubt it. No one will nominate the wuss.

8x all star, 3x DPOY, 5x all nba 1st team, 1x all nba 2nd team, 2x all nba 3rd team, #2 in mvp voting in 2011. Probably going to retire #11 all time in blocks, probably #12 all time in rebounds.

he's a first ballot guy.

Ummm, no, hockey guy drafted Howard and traded for Jameer Nelson. Otis inherited a prime Howard and Jameer. He could have drafted Granger the following year but instead took Vasquez who never played a game in the NBA. Then outbid himself for Rashard Lewis even doing a sign and trade with Seattle to pay him more than we could sign him for outright. If we had drafted Granger we could have made a play for Vince Carter in his prime instead of Rashard Lewis or at the very least had the cap space to add pieces. Instead we were strapped and then got desperate trading for a declining Carter and re-signing Hedo. Otis should get no credit for getting us to the Finals, all he did was overpay Rashard Lewis, who everyone knew was coming to Orlando anyways.

most of this is incorrect.

1. Otis had a huge hand in selecting Dwight and Jameer.

2. he very likely would have drafted Sean May in 2005, not granger. considering we still had francis, Stephenson, hedo, and grant hill. We needed an upgrade to Tony Battie(hence the late trade for Darko).

3. Stan said Lewis wouldn't have come without the extra money. I'd take Lewis over Carter every day of the week for what the magic were. Lewis was irreplaceable for the magic those first few years.

4. Carter was a free agent the same year as Lewis. There was no other cap room. the reason we had that summer to make a move was it occurred right before Dwight's contract extension.

5. Carter wasn't a desperation move. It was a no brainer.

Every move prior to June 23 2010 (with the exception of Fran) was fantastic. Every move after that date was terrible. Not sure what happened. Desperation?

what I would have done differently:

not made the arenas trade and see if you could limit Lewis' minutes with Anderson to save him for the playoffs and trade Bass and Gortat for a decent backup point guard.

Not traded Carter and Gortat for hedo, Richardson, and clark.

You get to see if they can pull it together for the playoffs. Instead toiling with no cap space for multiple years post Dwight trade you get full cap space immediately.