Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

the reason Vucevic's offense is overrated:

around the draft, some service posted something along the lines of every player who attempted more than 300 long twos along with their shooting percentage. this was meant to be a criticism of wiggins or something because he shot 35%. Anyway Vucevic was at the top of the list at 48%.

Now you're looking at the number 48% like it's a good thing. However it's really not.

If you gave Vucevic 100 long twos, you would expect him to hit 48% of those long twos which would be 48 made shots or 96 points (48 makes, 2 points a shot, 96 points).

If you gave an NBA player 100 threes and that player shot 33% he would make 33 shots or 99 points (33 makes, 3 points a shot, 99 points). So Vucevic shooting 48% on long twos is less efficient than someone shooting 33% on threes.

Now this works on paper over 100 shot attempts. that's not really how things work in reality. In reality, sometimes you just need a bucket, teams are starting to leave long two's open in their defense, so Vucevic's 48% long two's aren't without value. It's something to keep in our arsenal. However, to make it the main option is going to hurt our overall offense.

The fact that we are even discussing this proves he shouldnt of said it. These are the type of non issue statements that get the media ball rolling. At the first(well second now) sign of tension the media will group this with that and before you know it we will have lockeroom trouble.

A month into summer and we already have a minute problem.

The fact that we are even discussing this proves he shouldnt of said it. These are the type of non issue statements that get the media ball rolling. At the first(well second now) sign of tension the media will group this with that and before you know it we will have lockeroom trouble.

Orlando Magic and media attention don't really fit together. Everyone needs to relax. Vuc believing that he's the starter is fine and he likely is but he needs to back it up on the court and I'm pretty sure he knows that now

Speaking of Hibbert, Did he signed with anyone?

I heard he was offered a very low contract with someone but not sure if that was eventually signed.

Hibbert has under achieved since leaving Indy, I have not heard anything to this point, but I am of the mindset thatr he could be a minor consideration here.....around trade deadline if our bigs are injured! He could come back to life under Vogel!!! Maybe!

People need to stop expecting Miracles from Vogel and our players. Vucevic is not going to suddenly improve his defense by leaps and bounds.

Also, he really isn't that efficient of a scorer. His TS% is 53.1%, which is 248/476 players that played in the NBA last year. Our offense would likely be better served if a lot of his attempts were given to other guys.

Orlando Magic and media attention don't really fit together. Everyone needs to relax. Vuc believing that he's the starter is fine and he likely is but he needs to back it up on the court and I'm pretty sure he knows that now

I dont think its an issue. The media on the other hand more than likely will.

the reason Vucevic's offense is overrated:

around the draft, some service posted something along the lines of every player who attempted more than 300 long twos along with their shooting percentage. this was meant to be a criticism of wiggins or something because he shot 35%. Anyway Vucevic was at the top of the list at 48%.

Now you're looking at the number 48% like it's a good thing. However it's really not.

If you gave Vucevic 100 long twos, you would expect him to hit 48% of those long twos which would be 48 made shots or 96 points (48 makes, 2 points a shot, 96 points).

If you gave an NBA player 100 threes and that player shot 33% he would make 33 shots or 99 points (33 makes, 3 points a shot, 99 points). So Vucevic shooting 48% on long twos is less efficient than someone shooting 33% on threes.

Now this works on paper over 100 shot attempts. that's not really how things work in reality. In reality, sometimes you just need a bucket, teams are starting to leave long two's open in their defense, so Vucevic's 48% long two's aren't without value. It's something to keep in our arsenal. However, to make it the main option is going to hurt our overall offense.

Are you basing this on last year or every year because last year it seemed like he took a lot more long twos than previously.

He was very good in the post and seemed to spend more time in the post before Skiles.

eh, I think Vucevic's offense is somewhat overrated. Dude should have scored at a higher rate considering his field goal attempts.

LOL...I was wondering who was going to point to that stat!!!!

PFTW....if nothing else, you are dependable!!!! lol laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

People need to stop expecting Miracles from Vogel and our players. Vucevic is not going to suddenly improve his defense by leaps and bounds.

Also, he really isn't that efficient of a scorer. His TS% is 53.1%, which is 248/476 players that played in the NBA last year. Our offense would likely be better served if a lot of his attempts were given to other guys.

I think you are missing the big picture here......... on his own he will not make huge leaps on defense, but with the right defensive schemes and personnel.... He will! IMHO

I just can't. I mean it's like some of you want soft ass players who just relinquishes their roles to any new comer despite the team dynamics. No competition. No challenge. No earn it. Just walk right in and I'll give it to ya. Smh.

• Upvote 1

Are you basing this on last year or every year because last year it seemed like he took a lot more long twos than previously.

He was very good in the post and seemed to spend more time in the post before Skiles.

he shot 48% last year but its really applicable to every situation unless he becomes like a 51% long two shooter.

he shot 48% last year but its really applicable to every situation unless he becomes like a 51% long two shooter.

That's not what I mean. You brought up long twos. I expect with Ibaka as our unicorn PF, DJ, Fournier, AG hopefully improved from outside, Meeks, Mario, Green who can knock em down, to see Vuch in the post more. Sure, he'll still attempt long twos but I think you'll see more in the post than he did under Skiles.

He shot 52% their year before because he was in the post more.