Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

I agree it's sort of like things are happening out of order, but even though we're not sure what the final move will be it seems clear that Hennigan has something in mind. I think the criticism from those analyzing the moves comes from an inability to understand the plan, an unwillingness to acknowledge a plan even exists, or the belief that every team must be constructed like the GS Warriors. If we've learned one thing about Hennigan it's that he's very strategic and extremely patient so it would not surprise me at all if the final move is still a year away. He won't rush or make a move prematurely just so people understand...it's just not his style

This. I see what Henny's doing.

Here's another thing, playing Vuch with Ibaka, if Vuch is still here when the season starts (I'm expecting him to be), will probably boost his value. Remember just two seasons ago even Vuch was possibly considered an all star? Now put that along side Ibaka who can hide or cover Vuch's weaknesses. On top of that, Vuch even moderately improves defensively from last season, his value goes up all the while we're keeping our eye on potential stars or up comers or legit stars who become available to trade for.

MOST UNFATHOMABLE JULY: Orlando Magic and Atlanta Hawks (tie)

The most spoken sentence of July: "What are the Orlando Magic doing?" Orlando traded two assets for Serge Ibaka on draft day (a lottery pick and Victor Oladipo), then signed Bismack Biyombo in free agency. How much shot blocking does one team need? The Magic are about to find out. More inexplicable are the one-year rental on Jeff Green (a one-year deal that doesn't grant Bird rights or allow you to trade him midseason without consent) and a fat little deal for D.J. Augustin despite the presence of C.J. Watson on the roster. Oh, and a huge contract for Evan Fournier. I mean, in theory this could work. Ibaka is talented and Biyombo is a really good defender. But there is just a huge potential for young players being miscast (hello, Aaron Gordon!) and a bigger potential for a bottom-five offense, especially with defensive whiz Frank Vogel running the show.

http://www.sbnation....-winners-losers

Just wanted to make sure everyone knew Green can't be traded without his permission.

This. I see what Henny's doing.

Here's another thing, playing Vuch with Ibaka, if Vuch is still here when the season starts (I'm expecting him to be), will probably boost his value. Remember just two seasons ago even Vuch was possibly considered an all star? Now out that along aude Ibaka who can hide or cover Vuch's weaknesses. On top of that, if Vuch even moderately improves defensively last season, he still ups his value all the while we're keeping our eye on potential stars or up comers or legit stars who become available to trade for.

To add, Hezonja is not ready. The proposed SL will be:

The first unit:

Vucevic

Ibaka

Gordon

Fournier

Payton

The 2nd unit:

Biyombo

Green

Hezonja

Meeks

Augustin

That's a pretty scary team. This is a good problem to have.

biyombo cant play PF. this has been explored and ruled out by two other coaches already.

Biyombo can cover the PF on defense and play Center on offense. Vucevic can shoot so I don't see a problem with him playing PF on offense.

[/size]

http://www.sbnation....-winners-losers

Just wanted to make sure everyone knew Green can't be traded without his permission.

Noted.

Here's the thing though. A guy at his age and his experience, why a one year deal and not for a multi year deal? Well, one he gets 15 per which is not terrible but it's on the high end. Two he gets an chance to play a big role but I wonder if Rob told him "Hey. This is our situation. Mario, AG, might work out. We believe they can but there's always that chance they won't meet our expectations. Either way, you get paid 15 a year and have a significant role wake your here. However since your an expiring, we may also explore trading you if they do exceed or meet our expectations."

I know it sounds ridiculous to think that convo happened but Green was compensated handsomely. Just trying to read between the lines.

Biyombo can cover the PF on defense and play Center on offense. Vucevic can shoot so I don't see a problem with him playing PF on offense.

Agreed.

I don't want to think about them playing together, but if they had to, it could work for the reasons your provided.

I'm pretty sure that is wrong. We have no bird rights on Green, so he's free to be traded after Dec 15th.

I think Henny is eyeing Butler and trying to pry him from the Bulls. Would the Green situation help in this scenario if the trade involves Vuc?

I think Henny is eyeing Butler and trying to pry him from the Bulls. Would the Green situation help in this scenario if the trade involves Vuc?

The only thing to help that scenario is agreeing to trade Gordon & Hezonja.

With Wade, i think they keep Butler and stay mediocre for the next few yrs.