Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

1467857931[/url]' post='1043057']

I think it's probably better for him to be over there playing with older guys than playing with the scrubs in the summer league.

3 points.... unsure.gif

from realgm Magic board:

Hey guys!

I'm not sure how often you hit up other forums, but I've been at Orlando Summer League all week. I've had a chance to talk with a lot of people and I'm sharing what I've learned. Not all of it is very newsworthy, but I think it is all interesting.

If you have a specific question, please quote me so that I'll see it!

1. They really like Patricio Garino. He's almost a lock to be given a D-League contract and possibly a training camp invite. Today was his last Summer League game because he's head to Argentina to prep for national team duty during the Olympics.

2. Tyler Harvey looks like he's not going to make it in the league at any point. His shot is ok, but that is all he can do. His defense, ball handling and passing leave a lot to be desired.

3. Devyn Marble has played really well in Summer League, prior to getting hurt. It is no lock the team keeps him, but they do like him at the end of the bench.

4. They are very, very excited about Biyombo and Ibaka anchoring the defense. They think when those guys play together, it will be hard to ever score at the rim.

5. They are worried about the shooting. You could even say very worried. They'll continue to look to address it.

6. They were thrilled to re-sign Fournier, especially at a relative bargain. They think he's potentially the best player on the roster for at least the next couple of seasons.

7. Aaron Gordon has been shooting at least 500 jumpers a day in an effort to improve that part of his game. He's also working on his ball handling. Long term the team envisions him as a 3-4 swing guy depending on the matchups.

8. They are thrilled with Hezonja's development and think he'll be ready to be a big part of the rotation this year.

9. Meeks was acquired solely for his shooting ability. They don't want him to do anything but worry about shooting the ball. If they decide to bring Gordon off the bench, they may start Meeks with Fournier as the wings.

10. They were very disappointed in Napier, as evidenced by the trade. They hoped he would be the backup PG, but he was never going to get there.

11. Related, they feel like Watson was a waste of money. If they could find a taker for him, they would. Easily one of the more regretted signings, since it was compounded in to the Augustin signings and Meeks trade.

12. Signing Jeff Green was something they felt like they had to do to "grow the roster up" a little bit. They envision him as major rotation piece, but don't be shocked if he's traded at the Deadline.

13. They will push 100% for the playoffs. Including making in-season deals. Without saying it, the direction has obviously come from on high that they need to win. Rich De Vos is getting up there in age and he wants to see the team contend again before he dies.

14. The franchise is a little worried about the rapid growth and popularity of Orlando City. They like their partners in town, but realize that for the first time they have competition for fans in the spring. They have no intention of being a winter distraction between football season and soccer season, so they want to get back to winning.

15. They have no intention of trading Vucevic right now. They like his fit with Ibaka and Biyombo. If nothing else, he would be used as Vogel's Orlando version of what David West was for him in Indiana. It could end up that they need to deal him for wing scoring, but right now he's here to stay.

16. Stephen Zimmerman will probably log plenty of D-League time with the the other bigs on the roster. But they do like his game quite a bit. They think he could eventually be a starter with the right defensive PF next to him.

17. Last one...this is a big season for both Rob Hennigan and Elfrid Payton and they are kind of tied together. Hennigan already traded one of his guys (Oladipo) and Payton will be next if things aren't going better by the deadline. There is a very real concern that Payton will never develop enough as a shooter to be a lead PG, so they may sell sooner rather than later.

Again, maybe nothing earth shattering, but I thought it was all worth sharing.

1467864169[/url]' post='1043071']

If there is a real need to win now, I'm baffled Payton is our starting PG.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I still think EP is a really good player. When he his aggressive he has the potential to be a top 10 point guard. His first season was really good and I hope he can get back to that type of player this season (with a better jump shot of course)