Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Can we offer the max next season with all these signings? Seems like we're acquiring assets for a trade.

Lol. We are acquiring assets to win games. And still have flexibility to boot.

Please don't move Vuc now unless its for a slam dunk ALL STAR

I would tend to agree, but if we have just spent a big contract on Biyombo, I doubt we are going to use Biyombo off the bench or move Vucevic into a bench role. With that in mind I think we are going to try and trade him for the best possible return. In an ideal world that is going to be an all star, but at the same time, we might have to accept lower expectations and take on a borderline all star or a potential all star if they stay healthy (eg Eric Bledsoe, Jrue Holiday).

We have now added a high-priced vet at every position Aaron Gordon could conceivably play. This move confuses me greatly.

Maybe now we move Vuc for Bledsoe or Jrue

Gordon is a high energy defense first player, who is unfortunately stuck between SF and PF. He has yet to really prove which position he should play, and while I think starting him at SF should have been the way we go next season, there should be no harm in using him off the bench and giving him significant minutes in the SF or PF rotation. There is no reason he can't average at least the minutes he did last season and spending time continuing to develop could be beneficial to him.

Is there a chance we go after D. Lillard? Maybe something like this: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zzpcypg

Not a chance Lillard is going anywhere. He is the face of the Portland Trail Blazers and a player ascending towards star status. No way would they consider trading him for a solid center (Vucevic), a bench PG (Watson), and two prospects (Payton and Hezonja). If they did it would pretty much kill any chance they have of becoming a top four seed. As it stands, Lillard, McCollum, and their additions could see them compete for a top four seed.

That said, if we did manage to pull off a trade for that cost I would be a very happy Magic fan! :D

Gordon is best fitted as SF in my eyes, name a few guys currently in the NBA that are big enough and fast enough to guard Paul George, Lebron, Carmelo, KD?

Gordon is very rare on defense, Rob knows this...

K Lenard, Giannis Antetokounmpo, paul george, nic batum, LBJ himself, and maybe Andrew Wiggins....

Not alot of guys have elite 1v1 guarding skills.... Gordon is the upcoming guy in that group

even Igudala was too slow and too little to guard Lebron in the finals...

to be the best, you gotta win against those guys, the best players in the NBA now are from the SF position... then PG...

if you can guard those guys, you are giving yourself a chance, in the playoffs, matchups are the most important aspect of the game

Josh Robbins ‏@JoshuaBRobbins 29s30 seconds ago

With the agreement with Biyombo, the Magic envision a 3-man big man rotation of Vucevic, Biyombo and Ibaka.

I guess keeping Vucevic is realistic considering his salary figures for the next three seasons:

2016/17: $11,750,000

2017/18: $12,250,000

2018/19: $12,750,000

Under the new cap this is bargain level money for the production he gives us. Him and Ibaka, or him and Biyomo, could form a really good duo for the front court. Vucevic can offer scoring, the other can offer the rim protection.