Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

My thought was that we might not have stepped up and offered what we did to Biyombo, potentially allowing him to sign elsewhere, if we wanted to maintain the ability to sign a max FA next summer. This is of course assuming the hypothetical veteran contract we would have picked up for a draft pick in the Harris trade even extended into next season. Jeff Green's contract has no bearing on next summer as it is expiring, we could have paid him max money this season if we felt like it and overpaid at $15M as it stands now

I think we still get Biyombo. I don't think we get ibaka.

for those who care about this stuff

assuming a 109 million salary cap in 2018 with a 131 million luxury tax our roster could look like this:

Fournier 17 million

Biyombo 17 million

Ibaka 27 million

free agent point guard 27 million

Gordon 25.8 million

Augustin 7.25 million

hezonja 5.2 million

MLE level player 6 million

2017 first round pick 1.8 million

2018 first round pick 1.7 million

Zimmerman 1 million

3 vet minimum guys 3 million

that puts us at 137 million in salary and technically another 11 million in luxury tax. considering we paid 20 million in luxury tax in 2011 when the salary cap was 58 million I don't think the 11 million in tax money will be much of an issue as long as we have a competitive team.

for those who care about this stuff

assuming a 109 million salary cap in 2018 with a 131 million luxury tax our roster could look like this:

Fournier 17 million

Biyombo 17 million

Ibaka 27 million

free agent point guard 27 million

Gordon 25.8 million

Augustin 7.25 million

hezonja 5.2 million

MLE level player 6 million

2017 first round pick 1.8 million

2018 first round pick 1.7 million

Zimmerman 1 million

3 vet minimum guys 3 million

that puts us at 137 million in salary and technically another 11 million in luxury tax. considering we paid 20 million in luxury tax in 2011 when the salary cap was 58 million I don't think the 11 million in tax money will be much of an issue as long as we have a competitive team.

Who do you see as a realistic pg target we could sign for $27M? I seriously doubt we get Westbrook or Steph Curry.

Who do you see as a realistic pg target we could sign for $27M? I seriously doubt we get Westbrook or Steph Curry.

Any above average starting point guard really. If we're going after a point guard it means Payton didn't improve. If we need a new starter than it makes sense to overpay to get someone because the next great point guard class is a while away.

Sources on @TheVertical: Westbrook, OKC in serious talks on contract renegotiation to keep All-Star thru 2019.

Per report on Westbrook/OKC discussions, there's significant momentum toward a 3-year, $85M agreement - with player option for 2018-'19

Seen a article from CBS sports saying we have 23rd best bench in the league loool. The 76ers are way ahead of us and the Jazz are 1st with Warriors 2nd looooooooool. What a load of ****

Seen a article from CBS sports saying we have 23rd best bench in the league loool. The 76ers are way ahead of us and the Jazz are 1st with Warriors 2nd looooooooool. What a load of ****

Jazz bench is pretty good

That article is the worst. Teams above us who I believe we have a better bench than:

Twolves, Pelicans, Wizards, 76ers, Rockets and Knicks.

Knicks at number 9 is laughable. If we had that exact same bench it'd be bottom 3.

Augustin > Jennings

Hezonja > Justin Holiday

Jeff Green > Lance Thomas

Biyombo or Vuc >>>> Kyle O Quinn

The only intriguing guy they have is Hernangomez who's a rookie.

Any above average starting point guard really. If we're going after a point guard it means Payton didn't improve. If we need a new starter than it makes sense to overpay to get someone because the next great point guard class is a while away.

Potential free agent pg's over the next years who match your criteria include Jeff Teague, Jrue Holiday, and Isaiah Thomas. Paying Ibaka and one of those 3 max money would probably put the team's ceiling at 2nd round playoff exit.

I'm very curious to see how Victors contract ends up. I definitely don't think he's max player, he's always been on higher end of $ being number 2 pick. He's the perfect type of player to hamstring the hell out of your cap. With this Westbrook extension and reports oladipo wants max, I'm real curious to see how that plays out because that's gotta be one of the main reasons rob did the trade... Interested to see oladipo get enes kanter'd and jam their cap