Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Cody Zeller is a solid backup center a la Jason Smith.

Frank Kaminsky is Spencer Hawes. If you're hung up on those guys, I don't know what to tell you.

Why does someone need to score 25+ consistently to be in any game winning situation? there's like 10 guys in the league that score 25+ consistently. Last year we didn't have a guy that scored 25+ consistently and had 23 games decided by 5 points or less.

I think the basic idea is Fournier is going to be our leading perimeter scorer at around 18 ppg.

I think Ibaka is going to thrive in an expanded role and provide another 18 ppg.

I think Gordon should provide around 12 ppg as a conservative estimate.

Payton should be around 11

Vucevic should provide about 11 assuming a lesser role

that's 70 points

then you just need 32 from Augustin, Biyombo, Green, and Hezonja. Our bench averaged 35.9 ppg last year.

The reason is that our roster doesn't have a true scorer.. or has yet to develop one.

And if you think that Ibaka is going to give 18ppg when several analysts have highlighted his production decline is not reality.

Again you can throw shade on other teams but our roster isn't any better than theirs and I will go as far as to say when the regular season starts we will get thrashed.

Interior defense is one as good as your team defense, with screens, backdoor cuts and picks, you can neutralize guys like Ibaka and Bis... it's what the playoff teams did to send them fishing.

Remember when we had Dwight, our interior defense was awesome, but teams still found a way to exploit the perimeter to push Dwight away from the basket and then we get the usual dish off to a backside cutting player for the bucket...Dwight is left in no man's land, then gets pissed at the perimeter defense.

This is exactly what's going to happen to Ibaka and Bis... and if you put both on the floor...someone will have to makeup for their offensive production, especially Bis... who doesn't have any inside game.

Makes sense. See if AG can be our PG. If not, and he's a better 4, play him there with Ibaka at the 5. Vuch will probably be traded at that point. Go into next years FA reassessing if Ibaka should/wants to be retained while analyzing BB's role.

Interior defense is one as good as your team defense, with screens, backdoor cuts and picks, you can neutralize guys like Ibaka and Bis... it's what the playoff teams did to send them fishing.

Remember when we had Dwight, our interior defense was awesome, but teams still found a way to exploit the perimeter to push Dwight away from the basket and then we get the usual dish off to a backside cutting player for the bucket...Dwight is left in no man's land, then gets pissed at the perimeter defense.

This is exactly what's going to happen to Ibaka and Bis... and if you put both on the floor...someone will have to makeup for their offensive production, especially Bis... who doesn't have any inside game.

The teams that sent Ibaka and Biyombos teams "fishing" were the winningest team in nba history and the team that beat them in the finals. I think I'm ok with a couple of teams having the personnel and gameplan to exploit us because most teams won't.

Also using the Dwight magic teams as an argument to not value rim protection is ridiculous.

summary:

-we did really well given the hands we were dealt but didn't luck out enough to pick high in the right draft

-goal is to add defense first veterans to lift our core and grow under Vogel, get to 45 wins, and get an outside free agent next year.

-rival executives say we look aimless. (and we understand that but we feel we have an identity now)

- if ibaka wasn't here, Gordon would be the starting PF but we're going to use him like Paul George instead

- We want to go counter to the way the league is going "we think we can beat the **** out of teams in the paint"-Vogel

-there are people within the team who think that by midseason our best lineup will be ibaka at center with Gordon at PF

-Playing Gordon at SF with Payton might make other teams just pack in the lane which will result in a lot of midrange shots.

-we want Gordon to act as a center-ish on offense with ibaka and vuceivc spreading the floor. This might not work as teams were happy to give vucevic wide open jumpers last year

- Lowe is worried that Ibaka-Biyombo lineups will result in playmaking weaknesses as ibaka will have to choose between semi-contested threes and going off the bounch against closeouts

- "It's Elfrid's third year. That has to develop into a money shot"- Vogel on payton being left open

-most people are focusing too much on the bigs but we're really betting on payton, Gordon, Fournier, and hezonja

-our playmaking void is the reason we're in no rush to trade Vucevic right now.

-We're confident we can give everyone enough minutes, green is strictly a backup.

-"Orlando didn't pay Biyombo $70 million to backup vucevic for 15mpg"

-Hennigan called Vucevic after we signed biyombo but wouldn't promise him a starting spot

-"The magic believe one unintended consequence of a full on rebuild is young players walking into minutes without any competition and then feeling entitled to those minutes going forward. the team wants everyone including its cornerstones to feel pressure"

-Lowe thinks vucevic is going to come off the bench eventually just like Jefferson, Monroe, Okafor, Kanter, etc

-we need one more reliable wing behind Fournier and Hezonja if Meeks is going to be an issue.

-all of our controversial moves have "bore fruit" with time. we were the first team on Porzingis and missed him by a pick.

-Lowe's only real criticism with the rebuild is we didn't leverage every piece like boston has, but on the flipside, boston has too many assets and cant cut a roster to 15 now.

-in conclusion we're a solid team that should hit a baseline improvement but to jump from the middle of the pack over the next couple years we need a leap from a young player or a big roster move or both.

Let me just put this out there, last year Bis played 42min in a playoff game and only scored 5pts.

His best average playing 82 games, with 22min average was 5.5ppg....

Previous best was his rookie season with Charlotte, 5.2ppg with 23min game avg.

Oh yea, I can see this really helping us when we were ranked 18th for ppg last season.

The reason is that our roster doesn't have a true scorer.. or has yet to develop one.

And if you think that Ibaka is going to give 18ppg when several analysts have highlighted his production decline is not reality.

Again you can throw shade on other teams but our roster isn't any better than theirs and I will go as far as to say when the regular season starts we will get thrashed.

yeah, no ****. you're explaining basic offensive philosophy.

the point is ibaka can recover better than vucevic and he can defend players on the perimeter so we're not destroyed by pick and rolls anymore.

Gordon can play fine perimeter defense. Fournier can defend SGs fine.

And I agree with some of your points Payton...

The real key to our team is for our young guys to really progress... if Elfrid,AG and Marion don't and if they regress in a new system... we are screwed.

yeah, no ****. you're explaining basic offensive philosophy.

the point is ibaka can recover better than vucevic and he can defend players on the perimeter so we're not destroyed by pick and rolls anymore.

Gordon can play fine perimeter defense. Fournier can defend SGs fine.

Dude I literally laughed when you said Evan can guard SGs.... that has not happened.

I just want to point out that Gordon might end up being the best player from his draft class.

Let me just put this out there, last year Bis played 42min in a playoff game and only scored 5pts.

and his team won by 9 points.

His best average playing 82 games, with 22min average was 5.5ppg....

you're focusing too much on offense. you must think Gobert sucks too

Previous best was his rookie season with Charlotte, 5.2ppg with 23min game avg.

Oh yea, I can see this really helping us when we were ranked 18th for ppg last season.

we were ranked 18th in ppg allowed as well

Points Per Game, either for or against, is a somewhat meaningless statistic as it does not take into account pace or efficiency.