Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Rondo is a good NBA PG. There is no world where he wasn't/isn't a good PG. The issue is, PG's of his style are a dead breed and there is little place for them in today's NBA. That's why he's rather underwhelming even when he leads the league in APG, which is a nice accomplishment no matter how you try to spin it.

That's why, even if Payton ever reaches Rondo's level (this is a huge if) I still don't see him as some great PG or even a top 10 PG. Bottom line, if you can't shoot in today's NBA--you are behind the 8 ball in a major way.

Look at the top teams in the NBA. Notice a common theme at the PG spot?

I still for the life of me don't see a scenario where Payton/AG/Biz works on the offensive end unless Payton learned how to shoot this summer.

That lineup puts a crazy amount of pressure on Fournier & Ibaka to score in half court sets. Even with an improved AG, having 2 black holes with Payton & Biz is tough to overcome for long stretches.

Rondo is a good NBA PG. There is no world where he wasn't/isn't a good PG. The issue is, PG's of his style are a dead breed and there is little place for them in today's NBA. That's why he's rather underwhelming even when he leads the league in APG, which is a nice accomplishment no matter how you try to spin it.

That's why, even if Payton ever reaches Rondo's level (this is a huge if) I still don't see him as some great PG or even a top 10 PG. Bottom line, if you can't shoot in today's NBA--you are behind the 8 ball in a major way.

Look at the top teams in the NBA. Notice a common theme at the PG spot?

I still for the life of me don't see a scenario where Payton/AG/Biz works on the offensive end unless Payton learned how to shoot this summer.

That lineup puts a crazy amount of pressure on Fournier & Ibaka to score in half court sets. Even with an improved AG, having 2 black holes with Payton & Biz is tough to overcome for long stretches.

No. Rondo was a good point guard. He's not anymore. Sacramento was better when he didn't play. Dallas was better when he didn't play.

It's like he's bored with the nba and has just been mailing it in since that one playoff series where he hurt his shoulder.

Rondo reminds me of osi umeniyora "they pay me for sacks so I'll run myself out of the play 50 times per game and be a total detriment against the run but I got 12 sacks so I must be an elite defensive end"

Hezonja showed horrible ball handling skills in his rookie season, but I think it would be interesting to see how he handles some minutes at PG.

The problem is that we don't have a lot of time to play around anymore. The playoffs are a must, in my opinion

No. Rondo was a good point guard. He's not anymore. Sacramento was better when he didn't play. Dallas was better when he didn't play.

It's like he's bored with the nba and has just been mailing it in since that one playoff series where he hurt his shoulder.

I agree. He keeps posting stats but that's the only thing he does. Like Kobe Bryant in his final seasons

I agree. He keeps posting stats but that's the only thing he does. Like Kobe Bryant in his final seasons

I wonder if he laments his career arc. Like he starts year two on a historically great team and then accomplishes every goal ridiculously early.

Kinda off topic, but:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/17102719/draymond-green-golden-state-warriors-says-plan-change-recent-incidents

What is with this guy? Trying to realize your faults and remedy them is a part of life(most people twice his age will agree they are still a work in progress if they are being honest with themselves). I can understand if he's saying he'll still be a tough guy on the court(he should probably stop hitting people in the nuts though), but it's pretty foolhardy to think he doesn't need to examine his behavior off the court after the East Lansing incident.

what's with the payton hatred on this board... payton is good man, good dribbler, good penetrator, plays defense, can pass too... scott skiles system ruined payton...

skiles system on offense was dumb and dull... just constantly having ppl running to the top of the key to either shoot or drive... kinda like how the global trotters run their offense.... payton was being used the wrong way... payton is a creator and needs to be played like the old gary payton/jason kidd..... glad skiles quit man, waste of time on that dude, clueless as a head coach, so predictable on offense, jac vaugn was a better offensive coach than scott was, yes, that's how sad he was

Payton's shooting might cause issues for us going from a good team to a great team but we're not even a good team yet.

Payton you don't even think we're a good team yet. I think we're a top six team in the East right now with our roster. I think people are underestimating how good we're going to be. We have a good balance on our roster than what we've had in a long time. A good mix of defense, shooting, athleticism, and veteran presence with playoff experience. I believe Ibaka is going to be huge for us and I really like our second unit coming off the bench. Just a prediction but having Biyombo, Green Hezonja, Meeks, and Augustin coming in is pretty good.

There was genuinely a time where I thought Rondo was going to be a top 10 nba player. I think it was after game 2 of the 2012 ECF where he played about as well as I've ever seen anybody play. I don't know what happened after that but he hasn't been close to the level he reached in that Heat series since. Injuries probably haven't helped but also not playing with 3 HOF players, 2 of whom were great 3 point threats, might have something to do with it.

There was genuinely a time where I thought Rondo was going to be a top 10 nba player. I think it was after game 2 of the 2012 ECF where he played about as well as I've ever seen anybody play. I don't know what happened after that but he hasn't been close to the level he reached in that Heat series since. Injuries probably haven't helped but also not playing with 3 HOF players, 2 of whom were great 3 point threats, might have something to do with it.

A huge deal was him being kept in check (ego-wise) by the 3 HOF guys. Some people aren't really meant to lead and do whatever they want

Payton you don't even think we're a good team yet. I think we're a top six team in the East right now with our roster. I think people are underestimating how good we're going to be. We have a good balance on our roster than what we've had in a long time. A good mix of defense, shooting, athleticism, and veteran presence with playoff experience. I believe Ibaka is going to be huge for us and I really like our second unit coming off the bench. Just a prediction but having Biyombo, Green Hezonja, Meeks, and Augustin coming in is pretty good.

I wouldn't be surprised if we finished 2nd in the East.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if we finished 11th.

There's still a big question mark