Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

If Boston gets Westbrook, one of Philly's bigs or Griffin, I'm gonna be pretty pissed.

well...they cant get all of them, but they will certainly get one for sure. Why will that upset you? Is not like we cant do anything about it. They put themselve in that position.

It could but you gotta keep one of AG or Mario. No way you do both. Too much potential there your trading away.

Which one would you want to keep?

I'm leaning AG but Mario's potential...

are you serious...a top 5 talent in the NBA and a game changer for two guys who are years away. Think about how many guys not named Shaq or Penny over twenty plus years that were loaded with that "P" word and how many weve had even come close to Westbrook. Ill give you a hint...its a nice round number. In this case you take the sure thing. Unfortunately for us Ainge has stacked his team with a stack of assets so they have a lot more to offer than we do. Once again our fans waaay overvalue our players. Westbrook not playing second fiddle to Durant....puuuhlease.

well...they cant get all of them, but they will certainly get one for sure. Why will that upset you? Is not like we cant do anything about it. They put themselve in that position.

For once I like us to be able capitalize on opportunities instead of the Bostons of the league.

maybe they already have someone in their mind and decided to go that route. Our roster stand at 13 now.

Don't we have 12 now?

are you serious...a top 5 talent in the NBA and a game changer for two guys who are years away. Think about how many guys not named Shaq or Penny over twenty plus years that were loaded with that "P" word and how many weve had even come close to Westbrook. Ill give you a hint...its a nice round number. In this case you take the sure thing. Unfortunately for us Ainge has stacked his team with a stack of assets so they have a lot more to offer than we do. Once again our fans waaay overvalue our players. Westbrook not playing second fiddle to Durant....puuuhlease.

Potential is not a term of overvaluing. Your argument there is flawed.

Secondly, I agree you give them a lot but we have no insurance he will resign and even if he did, it's good to capitalize but not show desperation in a trade by giving up all your young talent with a team that's on their way of rebuilding. It doesn't make your team any more competitive and you don't gain respect on future deals.

Henny, if he has a shot even, needs to show he can pull this deal off right. Not desperately. Trading one of Mario or AG is understandable and something I back but trading both on top of Vuch, and draft picks is not strategic. I betcha Ainge would agree.

Roster stands at 12 we need to sign one more player to have a Legal roster.

Who do we want? Whose out there for us?

this is the whole point.

None of the moves are bad individually, they're bad cumulatively.

The Biyombo signing is a great signing. The Biyombo signing doesn't make sense if you want to continue to go with Vucevic as your starter and just traded for Ibaka.

The Jeff Green signing is a great signing. The Jeff Green signing doesn't make much sense if we planned to play Gordon at the 3 and if we want to continue to develop Hezonja.

This thinking makes no sense. They are not cumulatively bad moves when they cumulatively make your team better in the short term and position them to be better in the long term as well (without purely relying on the hope that cap space will land a star FA--something Philly should be proving isn't true).

Re:Biyombo argument

Signing Biyombo and pairing with Ibaka is a great defensive frontline with a solid stretch 4. Signing an excellent mobile defensive center at 23 to a contract is a great move, even with a great offensive center on an extremely reasonable contract. Taken cumulatively it gives you balanced offensive and defensive rotations at the center spots. Your statement that signing Biyombo doesn't make sense if you want to continue with Vucevic as your starter first assumes we want to continue long term with Vucevic as our starter, something neither Vogel or Rob have said. So without that, you are critiquing depth and assuming our assets will all lose value because of the presence of the other. I've yet to hear a compelling argument for that.

Re:Green argument

If we want to play Gordon at the 3 and Biyombo can't play the 4, Green is Ibaka's primary backup at 4. That leaves plenty of minutes for Gordon to develop at the 3 with Mario grabbing backup minutes at the 2 and 3. And because you have Biyombo, you don't have to play Ibaka crazy minutes because you can stagger the two so you always have an elite rim protector on the court, so Green will get minutes as the backup 4.

Our second unit has gone from:

Napier-Mario-Gordon-Nicholson-Smith to Augustine-Meeks-Mario-Green-Biyombo

So no. If you concede the moves are good individually, in this case, taken as a whole, these aren't bad moves at all. They strengthen and balance both our starting unit and second unit.

This thinking makes no sense. They are not cumulatively bad moves when they cumulatively make your team better in the short term and position them to be better in the long term as well (without purely relying on the hope that cap space will land a star FA--something Philly should be proving isn't true).

Re:Biyombo argument

Signing Biyombo and pairing with Ibaka is a great defensive frontline with a solid stretch 4. Signing an excellent mobile defensive center at 23 to a contract is a great move, even with a great offensive center on an extremely reasonable contract. Taken cumulatively it gives you balanced offensive and defensive rotations at the center spots. Your statement that signing Biyombo doesn't make sense if you want to continue with Vucevic as your starter first assumes we want to continue long term with Vucevic as our starter, something neither Vogel or Rob have said. So without that, you are critiquing depth and assuming our assets will all lose value because of the presence of the other. I've yet to hear a compelling argument for that.

Re:Green argument

If we want to play Gordon at the 3 and Biyombo can't play the 4, Green is Ibaka's primary backup at 4. That leaves plenty of minutes for Gordon to develop at the 3 with Mario grabbing backup minutes at the 2 and 3. And because you have Biyombo, you don't have to play Ibaka crazy minutes because you can stagger the two so you always have an elite rim protector on the court, so Green will get minutes as the backup 4.

Our second unit has gone from:

Napier-Mario-Gordon-Nicholson-Smith to Augustine-Meeks-Mario-Green-Biyombo

So no. If you concede the moves are good individually, in this case, taken as a whole, these aren't bad moves at all. They strengthen and balance both our starting unit and second unit.

If I go to the grocery store and buy wheat bread or white bread or rye bread it's great because I need bread.

If I go to the grocery store and buy wheat bread and white bread and rye bread it's dumb because there's no way for me to eat all of that bread before it goes bad.

Our roster as it stands doesn't make sense without throwing someone away.