Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

I just gotta say its funny reading these boards sometimes... All of these real Playoff teams are targeting guys like Parsons, Horford, Noah, Dwight, Batum, Crawford, Barnes and we sit around as a 35 win team being picky about who we should and shouldn't get. I say we go out there and get any player that is going to make us better now. I'm tired of beating a dead horse, but in my opinion we should try to lure Dwight back (since he's probably the most notable free agent who would sign here) and pair him with AG and Ibaka and we would probably have the best defensive front court in basketball. Let VUC play the back up 5 and sign a guy like Parsons.

EP, CJ

Mario, Fournier, Meeks,

AG, Parsons (start whoever here)

Ibaka, Dedmon, Zimmerman

Howard, VUC

That is a pretty deep team who could do somethings in the east.

I just gotta say its funny reading these boards sometimes... All of these real Playoff teams are targeting guys like Parsons, Horford, Noah, Dwight, Batum, Crawford, Barnes and we sit around as a 35 win team being picky about who we should and shouldn't get. I say we go out there and get any player that is going to make us better now. I'm tired of beating a dead horse, but in my opinion we should try to lure Dwight back (since he's probably the most notable free agent who would sign here) and pair him with AG and Ibaka and we would probably have the best defensive front court in basketball. Let VUC play the back up 5 and sign a guy like Parsons.

EP, CJMario, Fournier, MeeksAG, Parsons (start whoever here)Ibaka, Dedmon, Zimmerman Howard, VUC

That is a pretty deep team who could do somethings in the east.

we physically cant do what you're asking.

which makes the Harris trade absolutely horrible.

Yeah, now it does. At the time you could rationalize it with the ability to sign two big name FA's. It worked once under Gabe. Just not this time. In all fairness, Tmac was a hidden gem. No one that I can remember, swooped in and offered him the max. Its like we knew something no one else knew. There's no one like that in FA this time.

Rob is gonna have to start getting serious on trades. If he doesn't, he might not be here next season.

we physically cant do what you're asking.

Why not? If Dwight gave us a lil home town discount we could.

I hate bringing Dwight back up because I know you guys cant stand the thought of it but can you imagine how hard it would be for teams to score in the paint on us with AG, Ibaka and D12? I would keep VUC in a backup role for an offensive punch of the bench against the other teams scrubs.

which makes the Harris trade absolutely horrible.

For me, Harris was in the same boat as Fournier. They are good players. They are not a foundation piece.

We hoped Harris would be a foundation piece. He wasn't. i will be shocked if he is ever part of a big three. Do I wish we had landed an Ibaka when we traded Harris? Sure i do, but if we could have, we would have. As it is, a portion of his salary helped us get Ibaka.

Vic was a great personality. He may actually be part of a big three in OKC that competes for championships because he compliments the other two so well. That said, we all have discussed the limitations of having Payton and Vic in the same back court. Henny was burned by Harris' RFA, is facing the same thing with Fournier and made a deal to move Vic before RFA to get us the perfect complimentary player for Vuc. Ibaka has been part of a big three so it isn't hard to see him in that role moving forward.

You can add Nicholson and Harkless to the list of talented young players that the Magic hoped would be a foundation piece that didn't turn out as hoped.

So as it stands now, the potential foundation pieces still to evaluate are Payton, Hezonja and Gordon. Ibaka and Vuc appear to be legit foundation pieces. Assuming Hezonja and Gordon don't regress, that starting line-up should be able to compete for a playoff berth. If Hezonja and Gordon become legit two-way players this rebuild works and we are competing for top 4 spot in the playoffs. Moreover, with the cap space available next year we could add a star to take us to championship level.

And it all started with moving on from Harris. I can't find fault with that move.

I hate bringing Dwight back up because I know you guys cant stand the thought of it but can you imagine how hard it would be for teams to score in the paint on us with AG, Ibaka and D12? I would keep VUC in a backup role for an offensive punch of the bench against the other teams scrubs.

Are you Vlade Divac? this looks like sacramento's strategy.

teams would just pack the paint. its not a good strategy. we're better off using that money elsewhere and playing ibaka at the 5.