Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

I know. I think one is possible but I'm starting think Henny is seeing signs. When he traded Dipo, I think he knew KD and some other FA's aren't coming and he had to get something that we desperately needed and have been lookin for.

The Meek trade tells me it's likely guys like Batum, Conley are staying put. Jamal might still come but he might want more years than what Henny is comfortable with.

nah, the dipo trade says "I need to get a name on this team and Ibaka could be great"

the meeks trade says "bench guys want too much money and I need a viable backup plan that doesn't include spending a combined 150 million over 4 years on role players in case batum, conley, etc stay put".

We still keep our options open in case a star wants out by deadline and or sign someone impactful next season.

I get the logic. I guess there are alot of people (me included) that are just tired of hearing about "next season". The Meeks move to me, however, really doesn't add anything to the team this year where it is imperative we need to compete -- and im sure that wasn't the purpose either. Looks like it's mostly a cap saving move.

The roster as of now still doesn't look impressive:

PG: Payton/Watson/Napier (our PG's are still huge question marks -- can Payton bounce back from a terrible season and improve his offense? Can Watson not be injured for half the season? And forget about Napier, he's trash).

SG: Fournier/Hezonja/Meeks (not bad, can Fournier keep up his play after he's finally paid? Is Hezonja going to break out this season?)

SF: ??? / Gordon (again, is Gordon going to improve his offense?)

PF: Ibaka / Gordon / Zimmerman (Is Ibaka going to play like he did 2 years ago? again, is Gordon going to improve his offense? Is this Zimmerman kid going to even play?)

Center: Vucevic / Ibaka / Dedmon

Coach: Vogel (pretty much the best asset we have right now).

I don't know but this doesn't impress me that much. We have numerous question marks at almost every position. I guess we will just have to wait until FA begins this year because we still have a large amount of holes we need to fix on this roster.

I still think we need to sign someone from the following list: Nicolas Batum, Joakim Noah, Kent Bazemore (I thought he was an SF but apprently he is an SG) and maybe the likes of Marreese Speights, Allen Crabbe, Jeff Green, Courtney Lee, Jared Dudley.

I get the logic. I guess there are alot of people (me included) that are just tired of hearing about "next season". The Meeks move to me, however, really doesn't add anything to the team this year where it is imperative we need to compete -- and im sure that wasn't the purpose either.

The roster as of now still doesn't look impressive:

I don't know but this doesn't impress me that much. We have numerous question marks at almost every position.

I still think we need to sign a few players including Nicolas Batum, Joakim Noah, Kent Bazemore and maybe the likes of Marreese Speights, Allen Crabbe, Jeff Green, Courtney Lee, Jared Dudley.

I guess we will just have to wait until FA begins this year because we still have a large amount of holes we need to fix on this roster.

We aren't going to be able to fill all those holes this off-season. We will try to sign one max guy and if that fails MAYBE two lesser guys. In any case, most of those guys you mentioned don't really add much to the team.

I think Gibson would be a good guy to go after with his expiring contract

nah, the dipo trade says "I need to get a name on this team and Ibaka could be great"

the meeks trade says "bench guys want too much money and I need a viable backup plan that doesn't include spending a combined 150 million over 4 years on role players in case batum, conley, etc stay put".

No I agree. He would of traded for Ibaka either way but I think he was informed that KD wasn't interested in a meeting around that same time.

On Meeks we're both saying the same thing.

I believe the goal was to convince KD that we would sign him and another max (with his input) and once that looked unlikely, Rob decided to become more focus on the cap for the future. I agree he could still go after Conley or Batum but he isn't going follow the overpaying trend we'll see to fill the bench out.

We aren't going to be able to fill all those holes this off-season. We will try to sign one max guy and if that fails MAYBE two lesser guys. In any case, most of those guys you mentioned don't really add much to the team.

I think Gibson would be a good guy to go after with his expiring contract

not sure what Gibson does besides get in Gordon's way.

not sure what Gibson does besides get in Gordon's way.

Backup 4/5. Bigger guy than Gordon to match up with bigger 4s. 8 mil off the books next year

I'm working on the assumption Ibaka is the 5 and Gordon is still a 4

For a second round pick, he is a useful addition. He is probably going to slot in as our second or third choice SG depending on what moves we make. If Fournier comes back as the starting SG, then Meeks is a capable second choice shooting guard capable of knocking down three pointers, and Marble could be the third choice. It would also allow us to use Hezonja in the small forward rotation. However, if we bring back Fournier and use Hezonja as a shooting guard, then Meeks as one of the rotation is still a useful addition. Even with his contract we still stand to have around $37 million in cap space which is enough to sign a max level player and bring back Fournier. Overall, Meeks is a good veteran addition and next year his contract comes off the books creating cap space at that point.

I still think that if Horford wants in you take him. Horford/Ibaka is a dream and can play both or either with Gordon. Worry about Vuc when the dust settles.

I still think that if Horford wants in you take him. Horford/Ibaka is a dream and can play both or either with Gordon. Worry about Vuc when the dust settles.

I just don't think Ibaka stays if we bring in another center

If we can land Horford and bring back Fournier and Dedmon, then we have a good starting line up and decent looking rotation before add further additions are made:

Payton / Watson / Napier

Fournier / Meeks

Gordon / Hezonja

Ibaka /

Horford / Vuc / Dedmon

It is likely we would need to trade Vucevic because I doubt he would be happy with a role off the bench, or that we would keep someone with that salary as a bench player. But at his existing contract values, we wouldn't have to panic into trading him for less than we feel he is worth, so we could hold off trading him initially to make sure we get the "right" offer.

Obviously we would need to fill out the bench, and with the usual contracts teams close to the cap or around the cap offer, we could fill it out with veterans. Or perhaps look at bringing back some our last year's rotation at team friendly deals. Overall, I think adding Horford to this starting line up would be a serious upgrade, and potentially we could see another upgrade when we trade Vucevic.

Brad Turner @BA_Turner

Center Cole Aldrich not only will have interest from Clippers to return, but Orlando and Phoenix have expressed interested, source

I think we'll start seeing a lot more of this now. Cheap backups.

Brad Turner @BA_Turner

Center Cole Aldrich not only will have interest from Clippers to return, but Orlando and Phoenix have expressed interested, source

I think we'll start seeing a lot more of this now. Cheap backups.

Rather keep Smith tbh.

Also not that sold on Meek trade, think we should have got something for taking the contract.