Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

The goal was to clear out old bad contracts while getting draft picks. Overpaying someone for the sake of spending money is a really dumb idea. Unless you're really jealous of Brooklyn's last 5 years or something.

maybe I am confused because I remember Rob and the greaser saying this rebuild wouldnt take more than 3 years and we would be back on top soon.... Total BS and I did laugh at him when he said it but they were selling steaming hot $hit as lobster and steak. Heart and hustle and now when we arent competitive we hunker down big time usually coach and GM included. When we get a good bounce with the ping pong balls we spend excessively. You really need to acquire talent during the time you have a bunch of inexpensive rookie deals and then sign your rookies to their big deals if they perform. Unfortunately we have really acquired average guys during that time and the rookie deals will end soon enough. Good luck with that.

Aaron Gordon 20.

Mario Hezonja 21.

Elfrid Payton 22.

Evan Fournier 23.

Victor Oladipo 24.

Nikola Vucevic 25.

When the core of your team is this young, there is always reason for optimism.

1. Has Payton become the all-star PG desired. No. Is it still possible? Of course. Adding a coach that has a history of developing PGs won't hurt.

2. If you are a FA this off-season and you are looking at a max deal, a bunch of teams can give you a max deal... if you are willing to fit into their system and play with their players. There are only a few places where you can land with another FA and be the focal point with a talented roster of young players to surround you. Some say we aren't an attractive destination because we aren't winning, but obviously if you are adding Durant and Horford we would be a favorite in the east. But.. but Durant would never come here. Why? Other FA have chosen Orlando. He is a big fan of Victor. He's reported to want to play with Horford. Is it unlikely to happen? Sure. But I think it is more likely to happen than it was a year ago. Is it more unlikely than Lebron going back to Cleveland? Kudos to management for dumping Harris to at least give us a shot.

3. Even if Orlando completely whiffs in FA, this team should benefit from the stability Vogel will bring and compete for the playoffs next year. Thereafter, it is all about the development of Gordon and Hezonja.

There were plenty of times in the past to question the decision making of this team, but this isn't one of them.

If all we did was re-sign Fournier and then add Amir Johnson I may cry myself to sleep. It's not that far fetched though sadly, there is a lot of teams with cap space and we're not an attractive destination.

We are a very attractive destination.

Oladipo is attractive.

Vucevic is highly rated around the league.

Aaron Gordon is about to explode on to the NBA Map.

Thats just the roster.

Our new coach is highly highly respected and rated around the league.

Our stadium is top top class.

Weather.. No tax etc etc.

I can't wait.

I'm not holding my breath for any big deals

I'm cautiously optimistic, I just hope we don't make any dumb moves, like maxing out Biyombo (just my opinion). I'd be thrilled if we somehow got Batum out of Charlotte, he's been one of my favorite non-Magic players for a long time and he's the kind of signing that might be underrated at first but would definitely add some wins.