Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

So we don't consider getting a 25 year old player who averages 27 points and almost 12 rebounds a game, is absolutely one of the best players in the game because he's a bully? I keep forgetting how much influence Walt Disney has on this team.

I wasn't aware Cousins was an un-restricted free agent this year..............who said they wouldn't want him? I sure as hell never uttered those words. For the past 2 years every media outlet just writes rumors about him being available, yet he's still on the Kings. I would hope if there was ever a slight chance of obtaining Cousins for just about anything on our roster I would do it. There are no 2 players on our team I wouldn't not trade for Cousins. Whatever holes you have after the trade just sign free agents.

I wasn't aware Cousins was an un-restricted free agent this year..............who said they wouldn't want him? I sure as hell never uttered those words. For the past 2 years every media outlet just writes rumors about him being available, yet he's still on the Kings. I would hope if there was ever a slight chance of obtaining Cousins for just about anything on our roster I would do it. There are no 2 players on our team I wouldn't not trade for Cousins. Whatever holes you have after the trade just sign free agents.

Guys hate playing with cousins. That plus no sustained success and a crazy usage rate makes his acquisition debatable

Since when is 29 old? He not even 29 yet, that's prime. There is nothing wrong with his age. You're being dramatic with that. If you don't like Conley as a player that's completely fine, but giving a max to a 29 year old is not unusual at all.

No. He's 29 WITH tendinitis. I wasn't separating the two from each other.

Players with no injury record can suffer a major injury. It's an NFL example but Dante Fowler tore his ACL in his first practice with the Jags, he never missed a game in college through injury. Then there's Julius Randle who broke his leg a few minutes into his NBA debut, another player that didn't miss any time in college.

So there's a risk with any player getting hurt and not recovering from an injury. We could sign LeBron James this offseason, someone that hasn't missed many games in their career, and first game or first practise he could blow out his knee and never be the same again. But by that same notion we could sign LeBron James and he stays healthy and delivers is a championship. There's a risk-reward with any player. Granted if it's a chronic issue that's iffy now and is only going to get worse, then we should stay clear of players like that. But if it's an injury that can get better with rest, or may not cause him major issues down the line, then maybe the team takes a risk on a player like that if they believe that player can help win a championship.

You really didn't have to go into a story on how injuries can just happen.

I as well, don't think I have to go into a story how signing someone who already has an injury to be even riskier.

No. He's 29 WITH tendinitis. I wasn't separating the two from each other.

Is 29 with tendinitis worse then 27 with tendinitis, medically?

I was thinking a little bit today. How are we not successful with Vuch when Gordon is a above average defender, Fournier is a average defender, Oladipo is a above average defender, Payton is a above average to average defender depending on the night.

The theme on the board is you can hide such and such player if you surround them with good defenders. Well we have done that. Why doesn't it work?

I was thinking a little bit today. How are we not successful with Vuch when Gordon is a above average defender, Fournier is a average defender, Oladipo is a above average defender, Payton is a above average to average defender depending on the night.

The theme on the board is you can hide such and such player if you surround them with good defenders. Well we have done that. Why doesn't it work?

You can hide players.

Except centers. And you can't hide two players.

And Payton is all over the map on defense from terrible to great. Gordon also has lapses but goes from average to great.

But when we discuss Vucevic were really talking about going from a 7 seed type team to a 3 seed. You can make the playoffs with Vucevic. So he might not get addressed until later

You can hide a poor perimeter defender with a solid interior defender. The rules in the NBA today are set up for the perimeter defense to fail and you need a guy on the inside that can help contest shots when the perimeter defender inevitably gets beat.

Lightning up 3-1. Sorry just have to share my excitement.....

Anyways, to the point of Cousins, he's still the best center in the NBA. All the attitude stuff is way overstated IMO. Cousins just wants to win. He can def throw little tantrums like a baby, but he competes every night. His stats show that he does not take games off.

This quote was from Cousins this year when the Kings started imploding, much like we did after a good start. I couldn't have made up a better quote.

"It comes down to playing hard, man. Get some pride, just have some self respect. Act like you care. That's what it's coming down to. It's the same team; the same team that was winning [early this season], the same guys in the locker room. Ain't nothing changed. The attitudes with these guys, everyone in the room, that's the only thing that has changed."- Cousins

I don't think he's available nor do I think we would go after him if he was, but I think it's crazy to say you wouldn't want him, but to each their own.

Lightning up 3-1. Sorry just have to share my excitement.....

Anyways, to the point of Cousins, he's still the best center in the NBA. All the attitude stuff is way overstated IMO. Cousins just wants to win. He can def throw little tantrums like a baby, but he competes every night. His stats show that he does not take games off.

This quote was from Cousins this year when the Kings started imploding, much like we did after a good start. I couldn't have made up a better quote.

"It comes down to playing hard, man. Get some pride, just have some self respect. Act like you care. That's what it's coming down to. It's the same team; the same team that was winning [early this season], the same guys in the locker room. Ain't nothing changed. The attitudes with these guys, everyone in the room, that's the only thing that has changed."- Cousins

I don't think he's available nor do I think we would go after him if he was, but I think it's crazy to say you wouldn't want him, but to each their own.

Harden is arguably the best shooting guard in the nba and I don't think he's a good piece to build a team around either. Same logic applies.

He's really a complicated situation. Every incident with him can be used by his detractors to justify his lack of nba success. Every time he yells at refs instead of playing defense it looks bad. Every time he screams at a coach it looks bad. Every time he fails to rotate on defense and then yells at a teammate for something he did wrong it looks bad. You could argue that he would destroy the morale of any team he goes to.

On the other hand, every new blunder by the kings franchise can be used to excuse cousins' situation. If he was in a different culture he would be better. If he was given a decent coach and management didn't screw over the one decent coach he had it would be better. If Karl didn't try to make a power play and build a new team without cousins on it it would be better.

That's why I don't feel strongly one way or the other. If we traded for him it would show that our front office did enough digging and figured he wouldn't be an issue. If it leaked that we had no interest in cousins I would understand it to mean they feel like it's too risky to bet on him turning it around. I can see both sides.

I'd take Demarcus Cousins all day every day. He makes us a contender in the East straight away. Dude is a absolute BEAST. The Kings are beyond poor as a team and how they are run. I'm sure he would do fantastic with our young magicians

You know it's a down year for free agents when were spending the majority of our time talking about players that aren't even free agents (Butler/Cousins) :huh: