Sign in to follow this  
Air Gordon

Magic/Hawks

We're 16-2 when Elfrid has a positive +/- in the game.

We need a consistent PG badly.

I think today may also prove the "so goes Harris" theory. So it didn't help that for the month of January both Payton and Harris sucked. Not sure if either of them will ever be consistently good. I'll be cautiously pessimistic now so that my heart doesn't break in case we go another 2-22 for our next streak, but it maybe good to experiment with the idea that perhaps Fournier > Harris at SF. Fournier was logging a lot of SF minutes earlier in the year when he was balling.

Nah, all we expect is positive trends and that's not something he's provided much this year.

He has upside at least. Harris hasn't been trending positively in a long time yet he gets a pass. It seems people are coming around to him as a sixth man though.

He has upside at least. Harris hasn't been trending positively in a long time yet he gets a pass. It seems people are coming around to him as a sixth man though.

Have you been around here? When has Harris ever gotten a pass this year?

Nah, all we expect is positive trends and that's not something he's provided much this year.

You do realise it is fairly common for players to hit a plateau in their second year?

You do realise it is fairly common for players to hit a plateau in their second year?

Plateau sure, regress and become the worst starting point guard in the league, no.

Edit: ok, maybe worst starting point guard is an exaggeration.

Change that to third worst.

Plateau sure, regress and become the worst starting point guard in the league, no.

Edit: ok, maybe worst starting point guard is an exaggeration.

Change that to third worst.

Regressed is a bit much, I'm sure you will show me the stats but the difference would probably be nothing more than 1 good month similar to what he had last year after the all star break.

His too young to give up on and I don't see the point on getting anyone else if we aren't in contention.

Regressed is a bit much, I'm sure you will show me the stats but the difference would probably be nothing more than 1 good month similar to what he had last year after the all star break.

His too young to give up on and I don't see the point on getting anyone else if we aren't in contention.

Yeah, this is an offseason problem. Not a now problem.

The funniest thing about this game was that on my feed it skipped from the inbounds to the high giving after the game winner and I didn't even care.

Our spacing is so much better with Fournier at SF than Harris.

That plus what people have already commented several times: when we have a pg who defenders can't sag 6 feet off because he's hitting some shots, it opens up passing and driving lanes. With AG and Payton in together, most of the time those guys are left alone at 3 point range and everyone sags into the clogged up paint. And usually neither AG nor Payton is willing to take that open shot.

Big win. Hope we can keep it up.

Which proves we can play defense ... when we want to.

You're right. Which makes me wonder which would be the bigger problem: having the capability to play good defense but for some reason not wind up doing it much of the time, or simply being unable to play good defense even when everyone is trying their hardest?

You're right. Which makes me wonder which would be the bigger problem: having the capability to play good defense but for some reason not wind up doing it much of the time, or simply being unable to play good defense even when everyone is trying their hardest?

Lets examine why our defense played well yesterday.

Vucevic's size bothered Horford enough that he didn't try attacking him until the end.

Gordon was able to contain Millsap

Oladipo and Fournier were both able to prevent korver from making any noise until the fourth quarter.

Teague was able to exploit payton but oladipo shut him down.

It looked like our plan was to see if Bazemore could beat us. This is a satisfactory plan.

Teams generally destroy us on pick and rolls. I don't think Atlanta really tried to beat us that way. Instead their intention seemed to be play the way they usually play with their usual rotations. They also didn't play a two point guard lineup which is something we've had issues with lately. At any rate, everyone did a fantastic job rotating especially Fournier. He really fought on defense.

so your question, is it an effort thing or an ability thing? We don't really have enough data to show its one way or the other. Atlanta didn't play us the same way other teams have played us recently so we don't know if they just failed to exploit us.

That being said, we played great defense with a payton-oladipo-fournier-harris-vucevic lineup early in the season (offense just sucked). We played great defense with a payton-oladipo-fournier-gordon-vucevic lineup and the offense was fine (thanks to oladipo not playing like crap and payton forcing Atlanta to defend him)

Maybe Harris just has a difficult time defending threes and the payton-oladipo-fournier lineup provides us with enough defensive speed.

its going to be interesting to see what happens tonight.