Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

OFFICIAL GAMETHREAD: Magic @ Jazz

Is Fournier even playing?

I've said this before, but the issue with Fournier, and the reason we should almost certainly let him walk after the season is over, is that he's really only a + level NBA player in one area: shooting.

So if his shot isn't falling or teams are preventing him from getting shots off, he's just not a particularly useful player. He's a so-so man defender but a mediocre at best defender off the ball, he doesn't pass particularly well or rebound well.

So in any game where his shot isn't falling, you're almost playing 4 on 5. And the reality is that, with him being an FA in a year where everyone will have huge CAP space, it's not going to be worth paying him the 10m+ someone will offer him when there are solid 3-and-D guys who could be had for half that.

I've said this before, but the issue with Fournier, and the reason we should almost certainly let him walk after the season is over, is that he's really only a + level NBA player in one area: shooting.

So if his shot isn't falling or teams are preventing him from getting shots off, he's just not a particularly useful player. He's a so-so man defender but a mediocre at best defender off the ball, he doesn't pass particularly well or rebound well.

So in any game where his shot isn't falling, you're almost playing 4 on 5. And the reality is that, with him being an FA in a year where everyone will have huge CAP space, it's not going to be worth paying him the 10m+ someone will offer him when there are solid 3-and-D guys who could be had for half that.

The argument against this is

We know what he is now. What will he be at 25?

Love what Skiles has done. This team plays to win now.

The crazy thing is Skiles isnt some genius coach. He's in that same range as Jeff Hornacek and Steve Clifford. You know, tier three coaches that do a good job but still make a decent amount of mistakes that will cost your team a few games.

But how detrimental was Vaughn last year? We're already +4 in wins in only 19 games.

I think that Fournier isn't nearly as athletic as Oladipo but he's a much better and smarter driver to the basket. He's developing a baby Ginobili game attacking the basket

With that said, I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go and see if Hezonja is ready to step up. I'd like to see Payton and Hezonja starting together if Fournier left, with Oladipo off the bench.

The crazy thing is Skiles isnt some genius coach. He's in that same range as Jeff Hornacek and Steve Clifford. You know, tier three coaches that do a good job but still make a decent amount of mistakes that will cost your team a few games.

But how detrimental was Vaughn last year? We're already +4 in wins in only 19 games.

I think he's better than that. I'd put him in 2nd tier because of his attention to details.

JV was turrible.

With that said, I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go and see if Hezonja is ready to step up. I'd like to see Payton and Hezonja starting together if Fournier left, with Oladipo off the bench.

Hezonja's development will be an variable to what happens with Fournier.

I think that Fournier isn't nearly as athletic as Oladipo but he's a much better and smarter driver to the basket. He's developing a baby Ginobili game attacking the basket

Agree with this. People on this forum underestimate Fournier. I think his "non dominant" style helps players like Harris and Vuc to be able to get going earlier. I noticed this even last year when Fournier was removed from the SL. Fournier is less effective as a bench player on this team and our starting unit as composed is less dominating if Dipo is inserted over Fournier with Frye in the SL.

I will say that the second unit is largely responsible for our wins, and having Dipo and Nicholson come off the bench is a big win for TEAM basketball.

Same range as those guys? Really?

Skiles has a solid history of turning around bottom feeder teams and he is doing it again with us. I think what he's done is astounding and the culture he is building here has dramatically altered the way we view this roster as built.