CTMagicUK

2016 NBA Draft Thread

Also very much on board with Bender... which could have been even more interesting if we didn't swap our first a couple years ago ;)

I'm hoping if Murray falls to like 6 we trade up for him. He's my pipe dream guy.

My (realistic options) Top 5:

Wade Baldwin

Deyonta Davis

Jakob Poeltl

Henry Ellenson

Skal Labissiere

Any of the above and i'll be happy with.

I'm hoping if Murray falls to like 6 we trade up for him. He's my pipe dream guy.

My (realistic options) Top 5:

Wade Baldwin

Deyonta Davis

Jakob Poeltl

Henry Ellenson

Skal Labissiere

Any of the above and i'll be happy with.

I can understand the argument for everyone but Ellenson. Dude might as well be planted in the ground. Can't defend on the perimeter and can't defend in the post.

I can understand the argument for everyone but Ellenson. Dude might as well be planted in the ground. Can't defend on the perimeter and can't defend in the post.

He can score and rebound though. People said the same thing about Love and he turned out alright.

Also, if Ellenson wasn't an american born white player, we'd be talking about him going in the top 5. As it is, he's pretty much a consensus top 10 pick and what he brings offensively is special. He has the wingspan and size to hopefully become average on the defensive end.

Not my favorite pick for us, but if he fell to 11 I wouldn't be upset.

He can score and rebound though. People said the same thing about Love and he turned out alright.

Also, if Ellenson wasn't an american born white player, we'd be talking about him going in the top 5. As it is, he's pretty much a consensus top 10 pick and what he brings offensively is special. He has the wingspan and size to hopefully become average on the defensive end.

Not my favorite pick for us, but if he fell to 11 I wouldn't be upset.

Draft express has him 15th.

Nbadraft.net has him 16th

Hoops hype has him 11th

Usa today has him 13th

What consensus?

If ellenson was black or Croatian I still wouldn't want him. He's Luke Harangody at worst and Anthony Tolliver at best.

Seriously, watch this https://youtu.be/dmKUSSpFuSU

There's no way he's going to last in the league

Draft express has him 15th.

Nbadraft.net has him 16th

Hoops hype has him 11th

Usa today has him 13th

What consensus?

If ellenson was black or Croatian I still wouldn't want him. He's Luke Harangody at worst and Anthony Tolliver at best.

Seriously, watch this https://youtu.be/dmKUSSpFuSU

There's no way he's going to last in the league

LOL had to laugh when I heard Luke Harangody!! God bless that guy. I get not loving Ellenson, but comparing him to Luke in anyway is lazy. Your talking about a guy that's 4.5 inches shorter with a 4 inch shorter wingspan. Ellenson's built solid, Luke built husky. Elleson a 1 and done top 10 pick, Luke a 4 year player picked at the end of the second round. I know you said that's his worst case, but that's a lazy comp at any level.

I see more Love/Mirotic/Markeiff Morris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5FtlD4Pia0

NBA.com = 9th

ESPN.com = 9th

SI.com = 13th

Sporting News = 11th

CBS Sports = 10th

USA Today = 8th

Basketball Insider = 9th

CBS Sports = 9th

So we can say top 15.

Def don't wanna get in an Ellenson debate because I only like him, do not love the guy. He's 4th on my list. I think there's some obvious well noted concerns with him, but there are concerns with everyone in every draft--especially once you get out of the top 10. At that point, there is no perfect player. Everyone in my top 5 has there weaknesses for sure.

LOL had to laugh when I heard Luke Harangody!! God bless that guy. I get not loving Ellenson, but comparing him to Luke in anyway is lazy. Your talking about a guy that's 4.5 inches shorter with a 4 inch shorter wingspan. Ellenson's built solid, Luke built husky. Elleson a 1 and done top 10 pick, Luke a 4 year player picked at the end of the second round. I know you said that's his worst case, but that's a lazy comp at any level.

I see more Love/Mirotic/Markeiff Morris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5FtlD4Pia0

NBA.com = 9th

ESPN.com = 9th

SI.com = 13th

Sporting News = 11th

CBS Sports = 10th

USA Today = 8th

Basketball Insider = 9th

CBS Sports = 9th

So we can say top 15.

Def don't wanna get in an Ellenson debate because I only like him, do not love the guy. He's 4th on my list. I think there's some obvious well noted concerns with him, but there are concerns with everyone in every draft--especially once you get out of the top 10. At that point, there is no perfect player. Everyone in my top 5 has there weaknesses for sure.

Fwiw here's love's draft profile:

"On the defensive end, Love plays a very smart game and is always hustling, showing his most prowess as a man-to-man defender in the post. Here, he holds excellent position and does a very good job of always keeping his hands up, getting a good deal of blocked shots when opposing players try to shoot over him. Most of his blocks come in this vein, as he doesn’t really have the athleticism to be much of a force as a help defender, even though he almost always makes the right rotations. While Love usually does well defending the post, he really only excels with players that try to go over or through him, showing problems against players with quick feet who will try to out-finesse him, which is concerning for those who project him as a power forward at the next level. For those who project him as a center, he may have problems defensively there as well, as many centers in the NBA will be able to shoot over him.

On the perimeter, Love hustles hard and shows a good stance on defense, but he often has to give up too much space to stay in front of his man, and this is definitely a concern at the next level, especially if he projects as a power forward. Love has problems with the pick-and-roll as well, not showing the quickness to consistently hedge and recover, despite his smart play. "

- NCAA Tournament Performers, Part One - 3/25/08

Here's ellenson:

The biggest concerns about Ellenson as a NBA prospect revolve around his play on the defensive end. At 6'10, he is somewhat heavy legged stepping out on the perimeter and guarding quicker power forwards, and doesn't show great explosiveness or timing as a rim protector to allow him to anchor a team's defense at the center position.

Ellenson's instincts, awareness and intensity level leaves a lot to be desired defensively, as he's not one to put his body on the line and struggles trying to cover ground on the pick and roll, often looking flat-footed rotating on the back of his heels and getting caught in no man's land. Playing alongside a similarly challenged 6'11 center in a twin-tower lineup didn't do him a lot of favors at the college level, but this is something he'll probably have to deal with at the power forward spot in the NBA as well.

Defensive concerns are likely always going to be a serious issue unless Ellenson makes a real commitment to playing harder and smarter on this end of the floor, something you can't necessarily close the book on considering he's only 19 years old. With that said, the early results thus far haven't been promising.

The main difference is love did his best to play smart defense to avoid his limitations while Ellenson has terrible effort and instincts that also don't help his terrible ability.

And that's not even considering the differences in passing and shooting.

Ellenson is Ryan Anderson if he shot like Oladipo.

This isn't even really about you. I'd just be pissed at the franchise if we drafted him because he's not going to be playable in today's nba unless he hits 100% of his potential. And if he does, he'd just be unplayable against great teams. See Kevin love, Vucevic, Okafor.

I just find it hard to believe a player that is going to by unplayable in the NBA is about to be drafted top 15. I guess a lot of scouts have no clue what they're doing. But again, I'm done with Ellison. I think he can be a serviceable role player in the NBA. He's 4-5th on my list so I'm not in anyway campaigning for us to draft him, we just have different opinions on what his NBA career will be. To me, a 19 year old can improve on the defensive end by just learning positioning.

I would however campaign for Baldwin & Davis.

I just find it hard to believe a player that is going to by unplayable in the NBA is about to be drafted top 15. I guess a lot of scouts have no clue what they're doing. But again, I'm done with Ellison. I think he can be a serviceable role player in the NBA. He's 4-5th on my list so I'm not in anyway campaigning for us to draft him, we just have different opinions on what his NBA career will be. To me, a 19 year old can improve on the defensive end by just learning positioning.

I would however campaign for Baldwin & Davis.

Why would you find it hard to believe? It happens just about every other year.

Pre All-Star game Magic sucked, Post all-star game Magic sucked.

Your right though. If we just get rid of Fournier, we'll be a good team because stats. Idk why we played him at all last year because without him were a contender because stats. Why is Rob even considering resigning him? It's clear that if he's not on the court we are an elite defensive team because of stats. We don't need any free agents, just keep Fournier as far away from this franchise as possible because of stats and we'll be elite.

Bottom line, you can find stats that make Fournier look like a bad defender, I can find ones that make him look like a serviceable defender. Watch the tape of him against Paul George. Don't tell me he's a terrible defender because he's not. Stats don't always tell the whole story for either side.

:rolleyes: