CTMagicUK

2016 NBA Draft Thread

I admire your optimism we'll need 2 max contract slots this offseason.

just following the plan.

if we traded Harris for arguably nothing then the plan is to have two max contract slots. If we're trading Harris for nothing but cap space when draft picks were probably available that goes to show that cap space holds higher value than draft picks.

And being that the draft is before free agency it goes to show that we'll continue with that plan until its through.

maybe 11 for 31, 35 and future pick swaps with boston in 2017 or 2019.

That would be the smart move as second rounders don't have a cap hold.

I think it'd be a more gradual than that. Like trade out of the lottery first then move further down for future picks until we're out of the 1st round. Like do what Dallas did in 2013 except keep going instead of ending up with the 18th pick.

just following the plan.

if we traded Harris for arguably nothing then the plan is to have two max contract slots. If we're trading Harris for nothing but cap space when draft picks were probably available that goes to show that cap space holds higher value than draft picks.

And being that the draft is before free agency it goes to show that we'll continue with that plan until its through.

At this stage in our rebuild I agree veteran FA's are certainly more valuable than draft picks outside of the top 2 or so this year. That said, I don't think Harris would have returned anything more than a late first rounder at best, which would require taking on another bad salary as well. I think Rob is more interested in maintaining cap flexibility-whether its for this offseason or next.

At this stage in our rebuild I agree veteran FA's are certainly more valuable than draft picks outside of the top 2 or so this year. That said, I don't think Harris would have returned anything more than a late first rounder at best, which would require taking on another bad salary as well. I think Rob is more interested in maintaining cap flexibility-whether its for this offseason or next.

The deal would have sent Motiejunas and Marcus Thornton to Detroit in exchange for a 2016 first-round pick, protected in the top eight. The 76ers were also part of the proposed trade and were slated to get a second-round pick and Joel Anthony. Philadelphia waived JaKarr Sampson to create a roster spot for Anthony and now cannot sign him again because he was picked up by the Nuggets.

So Motiejunas is worth a top 8 protected pick, and Harris is only worth a late first rounder and taking back a bad contract?

[/size]

So Motiejunas is worth a top 8 protected pick, and Harris is only worth a late first rounder and taking back a bad contract?

It's nothing personal, Montiejunas is a young cost controlled player with a defined front court position and Thornton fit a need for them. That's not bad for the ~17th pick in a not-so-deep draft, though I would have liked to get more for a mid-late first rounder if I were GM. It didn't go through anyway so...? Harris on the other hand hand was in a difficult position because it's not easy to move a top contract without taking on weight. He wasn't playing particularly well at the time either so there was little reason for Detroit to break the bank for him. He seems to have gotten some consistency over there and I'm happy for him. He is still a 16/6 to 17/7 player at his most consistent so I think it was a win for both teams.

In other words, if Rob had insisted on the same pick and taking back (a lot) of salary to match Harris' outgoing salary then I think he could have gotten it...though I don't think it would have had as much (potential) impact as ridding ourselves of the contract space.

It's nothing personal, Montiejunas is a young cost controlled player with a defined front court position and Thornton fit a need for them. That's not bad for the ~17th pick in a not-so-deep draft, though I would have liked to get more for a mid-late first rounder if I were GM. It didn't go through anyway so...? Harris on the other hand hand was in a difficult position because it's not easy to move a top contract without taking on weight. He wasn't playing particularly well at the time either so there was little reason for Detroit to break the bank for him. He seems to have gotten some consistency over there and I'm happy for him. He is still a 16/6 to 17/7 player at his most consistent so I think it was a win for both teams.

In other words, if Rob had insisted on the same pick and taking back (a lot) of salary to match Harris' outgoing salary then I think he could have gotten it...though I don't think it would have had as much (potential) impact as ridding ourselves of the contract space.

harris isn't going to be a top contract in a few months from now.

There is no excitement for me on players slotted between 9 and 16. If we're going to keep this pick we might as well gamble on the talented but flawed guys like Sabonis or Valentine

If Marquees Chriss is there I think you take him and thank the basketball gods. Super athletic, long PF with a decent jumper and face up game.

So Jonathan Isaac has a plausible path to becoming the number 1 pick in the 2017 draft. A little crazy that he's at FSU. I don't think I've ever been this excited to watch a FSU basketball player.

harris isn't going to be a top contract in a few months from now.

Maybe, Maybe not. He was when it mattered to us though.

So Jonathan Isaac has a plausible path to becoming the number 1 pick in the 2017 draft. A little crazy that he's at FSU. I don't think I've ever been this excited to watch a FSU basketball player.

Wiggins?

Maybe, Maybe not. He was when it mattered to us though.

No, that's not how this works. You can pay a player a dollar, you can pay a player a 100 million dollars. The only thing that matters is how that contract affects future flexibility. a 16 million decreasing contract in a year when 24 NBA teams will have the cap space to absorb that salary without sending anything back isn't a big deal. A 16 million contract during an upcoming season where NBA teams are going to have a combined 873 million available to spend on free agents isn't a big deal.

a 16 million contract in a season where a team will be able to spend up to 108 million without going into the luxury tax isn't a big deal.