Fultz4thewin

The Official 2015-2016 Regular Season Thread

Theoretically, opening up $40-plus million in cap space (even after factoring in Fournier’s cap hold) does give the Magic all sorts of flexibility to make major maneuvers this offseason. But in a summer where two-thirds of the league figures to have at least enough cap space for one max contract, striking out on the top-tier free agents could lead to some egregious overpays elsewhere. If the Horford-Noah plan doesn’t come to fruition, are the Magic forced to pay Fournier upwards of $20 million annually to stick around in O-Town? Do they talk themselves into Rajon Rondo, Ryan Anderson or Al Jefferson as veteran difference-makers?

Much like the Philadelphia 76ers’ “Process,” Orlando’s overarching youth-centric rebuild strategy is perfectly logical. It’s the execution that’s been flawed.

Loading up on talented young players locked into four-year, cost-controlled contracts gives your franchise considerable salary-cap flexibility in free agency and extension negotiations. Eventually, however, there comes a time where you have to consolidate that talent into a franchise cornerstone-type player.

Contracts aren’t the only limitations. Playing time is, too. There are only 240 minutes and so many touches to divide among your roster each game, which limits teams’ ability to amass competent role players and keep them all happy. Having too much good-but-not-great talent without a true superstar in place significantly hampers a franchise’s chances of emerging as a legitimate title contender.

http://bballbreakdow...entric-rebuild/

Here's what my offseason plan would be:

Renounce Jennings, Nicholson, dedmon, smith.

Waive Ilyasova

Make pitches for horford/Durant

Backup pitch for Whiteside/Conley

plan C- supplement weaknesses, sign Ian Mahinmi, Courtney lee types. See if Hibbert's value has tanked enough to become a low risk reclamation project.

Resign Fournier, consider extending Oladipo as a future cost containment move (right now he's probably a 15 million/year player. if he improves he might be a 27 million/year player in 17/18. see if you can get him to extend for 20/year)

fill roster with high energy/mobile guys.

Here's what my offseason plan would be:

Renounce Jennings, Nicholson, dedmon, smith.

Waive Ilyasova

Make pitches for horford/Durant

Backup pitch for Whiteside/Conley

plan C- supplement weaknesses, sign Ian Mahinmi, Courtney lee types. See if Hibbert's value has tanked enough to become a low risk reclamation project.

Resign Fournier, consider extending Oladipo as a future cost containment move (right now he's probably a 15 million/year player. if he improves he might be a 27 million/year player in 17/18. see if you can get him to extend for 20/year)

fill roster with high energy/mobile guys.

What do you do with our first rounder?

I disagree with this article in one point. I believe that Gordon is a star in the making, but he's going to take some time like Kawhi and Draymond Green did. He's got all of the physical tools and the work ethic. He just needs to get a half-way decent shot and if Kawhi can do it, I believe Aaron can too. Also needs to stop committing stupid fouls.