Fultz4thewin

The Official 2015-2016 Regular Season Thread

Yea this early into the season I still don't see much reason to start panicking with Dipo. He might just have started the year in a shooting slump followed by a concussion. There was a stretch last year where he was borderline unstoppable,now he may not ever manage that night in and night out but I'm pretty sure that he'll average out.

I don't think anybody is panicked. We know what we have with him. I think the bigger picture is that this team at some point needs a star player at 2, 3 or 4. So it's just about who do we trade to get that guy?

I personally don't believe in the Elf/Victor backcourt combo. Their defense is very very good and they are athletic. There is no doubt about that. But the shooting is woeful. And that's really what you want. The best backcourts in the league can all shoot the ball very well. This opens up on the offense so well. Look at Rubio (a bad shooter) next to Wiggins (a good one). There is a reason that Elf next to Evan works so well. The fact that Evan is not a bad defender only makes the combo better.

I think Victor has good value around the league as a solid SG. Add Harris to that offering plus a draft pick, and you have an enticing package when the opportunity arises. That is really all I am saying. I'm really liking Harris this year, but the reality is to get a great player you have to give up some of your best guys.

BTW, I don't even count Victor's game last night. He was not ready to come back yet. Not his fault.

I don't think anybody is panicked. We know what we have with him. I think the bigger picture is that this team at some point needs a star player at 2, 3 or 4. So it's just about who do we trade to get that guy?

I personally don't believe in the Elf/Victor backcourt combo. Their defense is very very good and they are athletic. There is no doubt about that. But the shooting is woeful. And that's really what you want. The best backcourts in the league can all shoot the ball very well. This opens up on the offense so well. Look at Rubio (a bad shooter) next to Wiggins (a good one). There is a reason that Elf next to Evan works so well. The fact that Evan is not a bad defender only makes the combo better.

I think Victor has good value around the league as a solid SG. Add Harris to that offering plus a draft pick, and you have an enticing package when the opportunity arises. That is really all I am saying. I'm really liking Harris this year, but the reality is to get a great player you have to give up some of your best guys.

BTW, I don't even count Victor's game last night. He was not ready to come back yet. Not his fault.

I'd keep Dipo. I mean for a superstar, yeah, but he still can be good. Plus he's a guy who gives you rebounding, defense, assists, etc. You need a guy like that to win ships rather that guy is starting or coming off the bench.

Tobias is who I'd move. Not because he's playing bad but for the money, our needs, what we have already, we know definitely what he brings, just would be ideal imo.

I don't think you can just trade Harris and get a star. You have to trade a package, which is why I mention both Harris and Victor.

Both of these guys are probably best utilized as stud 6th men on a title team. But Harris is playing much more efficient basketball for us, so I'd keep him if I had to choose.

I don't think we can say for certain what we have with Oladipo. I wouldn't trade year 3 Oladipo for year 3 Jimmy Butler but year 5 Jimmy Butler is a beast.

• Upvote 1

I don't think we can say for certain what we have with Oladipo. I wouldn't trade year 3 Oladipo for year 3 Jimmy Butler but year 5 Jimmy Butler is a beast.

How many years are people going to use this argument? Lol. It is his third year. We know what we have. Do you think people in Minnesota aren't sure what they have in Wiggins yet?

The Jimmy Butler argument is really bad considering the usage rate. Are you aware he averaged 8 mins per game his first year and victor got 31?

Jimmy Butler didn't get the usage Victor got his ROOKIE year until his third year. It's a bad argument that really doesn't do Victor any favors, considering Butler put up similar numbers once he got those minutes and then went up to averaging 20 PPG the year after.

Add to the fact that the Bulls were a good team hitting the playoffs and the Magic were a bad team with no scoring at all and it only reinforces how much better Jimmy Butler is and how fast he improved once he got his minutes. Thats what true stars do.

With the exception of vets and more established guys like Vuc I don't think we have seen the ceilings yet on any of these players.

-EP's shot already looks better after only one year (and personally better then Rondo's did in the same time frame).

-Victor's defensive intensity and passing have taken it up a notch and I feel with some more weight room time his driving ability can become even more dangerous.

-Harris continues to stuff the sheet every night and really seems to be starting to play actual defense and rebound well with Skiles watching over him.

-Gordon is so raw, but the talent and effort he displays is through the roof. And his shooting is honestly far better then I ever thought it would be coming out of college.

-Evan is showing off what we all know he is capable of, the question is can he do it consistently. If he does we are seeing Manu 2.0 and he is a cornerstone. If it's not then he is still a great off the bench weapon to be used depending on how the rest of the roster shakes out.

-Mario... I don't even know where to begin. This kid has talent, skill, size... the whole package. If his brain and drive to be good catches up with it...

I legit would not be shocked if any of these players have another (or several more) gears they can reach. We may already have that big star in the 6 listed above. The building blocks for a championship may already be here. Just need to let it shake out. Skiles was brought in to get these guys up to par when it comes to the mental and effort part of the game, because the talent is clearly there. Once he has them fully bought in and playing at that level consistently (which isn't done overnight, or even in one season), we will have a better idea of how the roster will shape out. I don't want to see any of these players moved till then.

• Upvote 2

You can make that argument with Gordon and Mario and possibly Elf. But the rest of these guys have logged serious minutes over the past 3 years. At a certain point, you have to be realistic about it. I don't those building blocks are all in place yet. The Minny game last night made it pretty obvious. I mean, does Towns need 3 years for you to say he is a stud, or Wiggins?

These guys are 20 years old and it's already pretty obvious they are going to be fantastic players. Anyone who watched the game last night saw that displayed.

I love where the Magic are at, but we are not done yet if we want to win a title.

With the exception of vets and more established guys like Vuc I don't think we have seen the ceilings yet on any of these players.

-EP's shot already looks better after only one year (and personally better then Rondo's did in the same time frame).

-Victor's defensive intensity and passing have taken it up a notch and I feel with some more weight room time his driving ability can become even more dangerous.

-Harris continues to stuff the sheet every night and really seems to be starting to play actual defense and rebound well with Skiles watching over him.

-Gordon is so raw, but the talent and effort he displays is through the roof. And his shooting is honestly far better then I ever thought it would be coming out of college.

-Evan is showing off what we all know he is capable of, the question is can he do it consistently. If he does we are seeing Manu 2.0 and he is a cornerstone. If it's not then he is still a great off the bench weapon to be used depending on how the rest of the roster shakes out.

-Mario... I don't even know where to begin. This kid has talent, skill, size... the whole package. If his brain and drive to be good catches up with it...

I legit would not be shocked if any of these players have another (or several more) gears they can reach. We may already have that big star in the 6 listed above. The building blocks for a championship may already be here. Just need to let it shake out. Skiles was brought in to get these guys up to par when it comes to the mental and effort part of the game, because the talent is clearly there. Once he has them fully bought in and playing at that level consistently (which isn't done overnight, or even in one season), we will have a better idea of how the roster will shape out. I don't want to see any of these players moved till then.

This is a very good post and I agree with all of it.

How many years are people going to use this argument? Lol. It is his third year. We know what we have. Do you think people in Minnesota aren't sure what they have in Wiggins yet?

The Jimmy Butler argument is really bad considering the usage rate. Are you aware he averaged 8 mins per game his first year and victor got 31?

Jimmy Butler didn't get the usage Victor got his ROOKIE year until his third year. It's a bad argument that really doesn't do Victor any favors, considering Butler put up similar numbers once he got those minutes and then went up to averaging 20 PPG the year after.

Add to the fact that the Bulls were a good team hitting the playoffs and the Magic were a bad team with no scoring at all and it only reinforces how much better Jimmy Butler is and how fast he improved once he got his minutes. Thats what true stars do.

Counterpoint:

Kyle Lowry

Joe Johnson

Kawhi Leonard

Gerald Wallace

Paul George

Westbrook

Paul Millsap

Brandon Knight

Eric Bledsoe

CJ McCollum

You can make that argument with Gordon and Mario and possibly Elf. But the rest of these guys have logged serious minutes over the past 3 years. At a certain point, you have to be realistic about it. I don't those building blocks are all in place yet. The Minny game last night made it pretty obvious. I mean, does Towns need 3 years for you to say he is a stud, or Wiggins?

These guys are 20 years old and it's already pretty obvious they are going to be fantastic players. Anyone who watched the game last night saw that displayed.

I love where the Magic are at, but we are not done yet if we want to win a title.

Remember who's been our coach for the last 3 years too. These guys need more time. I still believe in Vic. Just too early to say it can't work with having a new coach, system,etc.