Sign in to follow this  
TheNameIsOrlando

Preseason Thread

hypothetical question:

would you trade Harris straight up for Carmelo Anthony assuming a world where Anthony was excited about playing for the Magic?

Carmelo will be too old before the Magic core is ready to compete for a championship. He's 31 now, and Payton, Gordon, and Hezonja are probably 3 years away.

Yes

positives: elite scoring, definite all star, guy who you can ask to get you a basket in iso

negatives: He's 31 so you probably have 3 more years where he's an above average offensive guy at best, defense, does he stop the offense too much? can he coexist with skiles?

positives: elite scoring, definite all star, guy who you can ask to get you a basket in iso

negatives: He's 31 so you probably have 3 more years where he's an above average offensive guy at best, defense, does he stop the offense too much? can he coexist with skiles?

This could be the biggest issue but he would have to fix it if he really wanted to win games.

He would give us an immediate bump and push us closer to the playoffs, something we need after 3 years. He could be a mentor on and off the court and after a few years he could become a bench old star like Pierce or Carter that can hit some game winners. Not to mention the attention that he would bring to the team

I believe Camerlo goes against our build. His style of play hasn't truly even been good enough to win. He's a hero baller and ball stopper. Most of all, that contract....nah. We've established a balance offense of scoring and moving the ball. The game has evolved to where teams that don't stop the ball are more successful.

At this point, that trade would be similar to Arenas/Carter/Richardson trade. Those are guys that would have been more dominant if we didn't receive them late in their careers with their all-star capabilities hindered by permanent nagging injuries. Those type of players had chances to come here earlier when we were competing but ignored it us in free agency.

By the time we're ready to make a run at a championship, Carmelo would be hitting the cane.

I'm so glad other people hate Jon Barry as much as I do.

Oh. I think most of the people who disliked him but disappeared on the forums. I'm sure various Magic fans despise Jon Barry but its extended to other fans bases in the league.

hypothetical question:

would you trade Harris straight up for Carmelo Anthony assuming a world where Anthony was excited about playing for the Magic?

No. Anthony is not a winner. He's a wiener.

hypothetical question:

If he had 3 years left on his contract, I would do it. It would make us an immediate serious contendor for the playoffs, and give us that "go to" offensive player that we have been missing. I don't see the Magic being able to attract an A Plus free agent (Durant, Lebron,etc) until we are a proven playoff team and he could put us in that position. Since he has a 5 year contract, I have to abstain because if this team can possibly be a playoff team on their own, three years from now we could use that 24 million on someone who isn't so close to social security.