Sign in to follow this  
TheNameIsOrlando

Preseason Thread

The old eye test vs stats argument. Personally I'll take numbers over opinions any day.

You can't look at stats disregarding what happens in a game though. Some players are super important like Amir Johnson and Draymond Green and they don't fill the stat sheet, while Tyreke Evans is one of the best players in the NBA if you go by stats only.

Yeah I don't even think we need an old school Pf. We went after Milsap who would be a really nice example of a guy we could use.

But what if we could trade for a guy like Paul George (raw speculation, just an example since he is not the happiest camper right now) ? At that point we would be rolling out Gordon as our Draymon Green at the 4 and it would probably work just fine.

Interesting thing about Gordon is he shot a higher % from 3 his first season than green. Gordon could become a better version of Green in the next 2 years. That is a realistic possibility.

I see Skiles playing Gordon at SF and think that he is easing him in. He doesnt want him down low banging just yet possibly. We will have to see.

On Mario. Sure, this season he may average 7-12 points a game, but will he in the future? He looks like a guy who can break the 20 ppg average for us. At least he has all the skills to do so. I also think Mario is a lot more seasoned on offense than Victor looked his first year. Mario has incredible court awareness and his hands and touch are crazy.

A good example is when he got a backdoor pass for a reverse layup that he just flicked in smoothly without hesitation. You will see it in the film from his last game. It looked like he had done it a million times. I haven't seen a rookie that comfortable with a rather difficult finish in a long time. I still don't think Victor is as comfortable finishing around the rim or popping off 3s like Mario already is. Of course, the game is not that simple it is just more than that. Just pointing out why some people see Mario as the more seasoned rookie.

Yeah I don't even think we need an old school Pf. We went after Milsap who would be a really nice example of a guy we could use.

But what if we could trade for a guy like Paul George (raw speculation, just an example since he is not the happiest camper right now) ? At that point we would be rolling out Gordon as our Draymon Green at the 4 and it would probably work just fine.

Interesting thing about Gordon is he shot a higher % from 3 his first season than green. Gordon could become a better version of Green in the next 2 years. That is a realistic possibility.

I see Skiles playing Gordon at SF and think that he is easing him in. He doesnt want him down low banging just yet possibly. We will have to see.

On Mario. Sure, this season he may average 7-12 points a game, but will he in the future? He looks like a guy who can break the 20 ppg average for us. At least he has all the skills to do so. I also think Mario is a lot more seasoned on offense than Victor looked his first year. Mario has incredible court awareness and his hands and touch are crazy.

A good example is when he got a backdoor pass for a reverse layup that he just flicked in smoothly without hesitation. You will see it in the film from his last game. It looked like he had done it a million times. I haven't seen a rookie that comfortable with a rather difficult finish in a long time. I still don't think Victor is as comfortable finishing around the rim or popping off 3s like Mario already is. Of course, the game is not that simple it is just more than that. Just pointing out why some people see Mario as the more seasoned rookie.

if we're talking future mario vs future victor or current mario vs preseason rookie oladipo then sure. but i think his point was current mario vs current victor which i disagree.

if we're talking future mario vs future victor or current mario vs preseason rookie oladipo then sure. but i think his point was current mario vs current victor which i disagree.

Yeah I would disagree with that as well. Not possible for a rookie to look more seasoned than a 3 year vet.

You can't look at stats disregarding what happens in a game though. Some players are super important like Amir Johnson and Draymond Green and they don't fill the stat sheet, while Tyreke Evans is one of the best players in the NBA if you go by stats only.

Advanced stats Show Tryeke for what he is for the most part. I understand numbers aren't everything. Obviously if you take the basic numbers it will give you a more broad spectrum. Advanced stats to me is better than the eye test.

so if gordon looks good at the 4, mario looks like stud who can play the 2; would you give up harris & dipo for george? maybe harris, fournier and a 1st?

Payton

Mario

George

Gordon

Vuc

would be a strong starting 5

I think what has scared people away is because they aren't allowed to have their (even though its wrong) opinions about the Magic. Let them have their opinions. Homerism is appreciated.

If you watch the highlight videos on youtube, it looks like some fans are jealous of our team's success. They even said that the preseason game against Miami was rigged. lol. A game............RIGGED FOR US? Shiieeeeeeeeeet.

Anyway, Aaron Gordon can easily be better than Draymond Green with improvement. Going by Payton4thewin's factual rationale, the current Aaron Gordon IS NOT better than. Same thing could be said for Oladipo and Hezonja which has the makings of a Jameer/Arroyo controversy.

so if gordon looks good at the 4, mario looks like stud who can play the 2; would you give up harris & dipo for george? maybe harris, fournier and a 1st?

Payton

Mario

George

Gordon

Vuc

would be a strong starting 5

you break the bank for a player like George. I'd do harris, oladipo, filler, and 3 firsts. Or Harris, Hezonja, filler and three firsts. Or Fournier, oladipo, filler, and three firsts.

same for westbrook, durant, davis, griffin, harden, curry, lebron, and thats about it.

you break the bank for a player like George. I'd do harris, oladipo, filler, and 3 firsts. Or Harris, Hezonja, filler and three firsts. Or Fournier, oladipo, filler, and three firsts.

same for westbrook, durant, davis, griffin, harden, curry, lebron, and thats about it.

Right. exactly That is why I brought all this up. To break the bank you need to trade some key pieces. I think Victor and Harris plus a first would be more than fair. My opinion is I'd want to hold onto Mario, Gordon and Elfrid and add a guy like George to that tandem.

The storyline this year is not to see just if we makes playoffs. Its more about who fits long term and what pieces are missing for this team to contend long term.

Right. exactly That is why I brought all this up. To break the bank you need to trade some key pieces. I think Victor and Harris plus a first would be more than fair. My opinion is I'd want to hold onto Mario, Gordon and Elfrid and add a guy like George to that tandem.

The storyline this year is not to see just if we makes playoffs. Its more about who fits long term and what pieces are missing for this team to contend long term.

right. its ok to trade anyone to get a superstar. just we aren't really going to find an upgrade to oladipo readily available on the market. there's arguably only 3 shooting guards better than oladipo out there and definitely no more than 7. The market has crashed and all of the shooting guards of old have retired or are on their last legs. Same deal with Vucevic and the Center position.

Thats what is so scary about this team. We're getting a ton of love and have a ridiculous amount of potential but if our shooting guards max out as john salmons/kevin martin type guys we're going to have to start from scratch. Same with Vucevic. If payton sucks we have a market of about 17 other point guards to pursue and at least one pretty good one in the draft every season. If Harris doesn't improve we can go after 9ish small forwards and a dozen or so PFs to fill his spot (same deal with gordon).

that's partly why im so defensive of oladipo. until Fournier can prove he's an every night player (last season and his national team performances over the past two years show hes not that guy yet) and Hezonja proves hes a legitimate nba starter (and not a rudy fernandez/marco bellineli type) we cant pencil in those guys as a better fit in the starting lineup.

Is it crazy that I would rather keep those pieces than get Paul George..!?

Maybe my brain is still too much in football mode than basketball mode. But I just feel like we'd be selling low on Dipo, in a way. He's still got improvement from here.

I mean, I guess I just want to see the roster healthy and with a REAL COACH for a while before evaluating them too definitively.