Sign in to follow this  
TheNameIsOrlando

Preseason Thread

Which teams do you see suprising everybody this year and why?

Jesse Blancarte via BBall Insiders

Off the top of my head, I’m going with the Orlando Magic. I think Scott Skiles will get a lot out of his young players and I think guys like Vucevic, Oladipo, Harris and Payton have developed a lot in their short NBA careers’.

I don’t think Jacque Vaughn was utilizing his players correctly and his rotations always confused me, so I think with a few years of experience in the league and with a new coach, these guys will put together a better season than perhaps some people expect. That and I think Aaron Gordon will add another level of athleticism and intensity on the court that should help.

And I am a big fan of Mario Hezonja and his talent. I don’t think Hezonja will have a huge impact this season, but there will be nights where he catches fire and shows us glimpses of how good he will be one day.

I agree completely...I'm just not sure of Skiles style yet. If this was Vaughn we may have been able to predict what he would decide to do.

Yeah. So far Skiles' preseason style has been a bit unpredictable. He seems to be trying many different things. Like with no Payton the other night he used Oladipo at the 1 and didn't play Napier (that I remember). He's also sort of letting the guys figure things out by not calling timeouts during droughts.

I have a feeling that the method to his madness is to see who on the team has the mental toughness to correct on the fly without a timeout. I think we saw both Marble and Hezonja pull that off the other night. I would start Gordon and give him some good burn as he needs to play catch-up and only has a few games left.

He didn't bench Payton to be crafty. Payton is slightly injured and he wanted to rest Napier.

Oh yeah. I knew that about Payton. I just thought it was weird resting Napier when he was short on PG. I guess he wanted to see how Dipo would respond to playing the 1...which I think we all see is not the greatest fit.

@JoshuaBRobbins Tobias Harris (knee) and Elfrid Payton (hamstring) will not play tonight, Scott Skiles said. Harris' absence is just precautionary.

@JoshuaBRobbins Skiles said he intends to play Aaron Gordon 12 to 18 minutes tonight.

Watson

Dipo

Fournier

Gordon

Vooch

Hopefully....

12-18 doesnt sound like starters minutes but lets see what happens.

I guessing:

Watson

Victor

Fournier

Frye

Vuc

If Skiles thinks that Frye and Vuch should be on the court at the same time then I question his competence. If he is preaching defense, he might want to play guys that can defend.

If Skiles thinks that Frye and Vuch should be on the court at the same time then I question his competence. If he is preaching defense, he might want to play guys that can defend.

its preseason...

My personal opinion of Skiles' line ups and rotation hasn't been what will be a great starting unit because I think everyone has a fair idea of who that would be but I think his line ups have been tests to see what kind of second unit he wants to come in with. What guys can come off the bench and maintain a tempo offensive and defensively, what guys can come in and bring us back in times of slumps. Marble and Mario seem to be guys he's liking.

He has a big belief in team defense

My personal opinion of Skiles' line ups and rotation hasn't been what will be a great starting unit because I think everyone has a fair idea of who that would be but I think his line ups have been tests to see what kind of second unit he wants to come in with. What guys can come off the bench and maintain a tempo offensive and defensively, what guys can come in and bring us back in times of slumps. Marble and Mario seem to be guys he's liking.

I agree

Vuch

Harris

Gordon

Vic

Payton

Will start opening day