Gordon

Vucevic

2nd unit:

Watson

Fournier

Hezonja

Frye

Dedmon

This is what Im thinking too. The main thing is that Gordon needs to heal up and earn the starting spot in camp.

That second unit could be really really good. Lets also not forget Smith will see minutes as well.

Starting Five:

Payton

Oladipo

Harris

Gordon

Vucevic

2nd unit:

Watson

Fournier

Hezonja

Frye

Dedmon

A few observations:

1. I don't see Harris in the starting line-up long term. The reason is that he is ball dominant. We have a ball dominant PG. If you take the ball out of Payton's hands, he is a liability on the offensive end until he proves he can consistently hit an open shot. Thus, Harris makes much more sense with Watson and Fournier waiting to bomb away from three on a kick-out. He makes way more sense as the 6th man. In addition to running with the second team, he can spell Payton when we go big with Oladipo at the Point, Hezonja/Fournier at 2g and Gordon at 3.

2. I keep hearing how Oladipo needs to improve his 3P%. Why? will going form 34% to 38% make people run at him any harder, account for him more often? That percentage increase over 5 3PA per game is less than a quarter of a point in any game. Where Oladipo needs to improve is getting some calls on his drives. That is supposed to come with experience. I think it also comes with having a competitive team. If he goes to the line 4 or 5 more times a game this season, he is a lock as a 20-25 ppg scorer. With Oladipo's ability to create off the dribble and play off the ball, he is a great sidekick on a championship roster.

3. Vuc is very good. 20/10 on a consistent basis is very good. Vuc is not great and likely will not develop into a truly dominating presence (Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Shaq). He strikes me as a #3 option on a championship roster.

4. If Harris, Oladipo and Vuc aren't the superstar that puts the team on his back, that leaves the hopes of the rebuild resting on Gordon and Hezonja. Both are young and gifted with elite athletic talent. That's a good place to start. They are also almost perfect trade chips for a disgruntled star.

1. I don't see Harris in the starting line-up long term. The reason is that he is ball dominant. We have a ball dominant PG. If you take the ball out of Payton's hands, he is a liability on the offensive end until he proves he can consistently hit an open shot. Thus, Harris makes much more sense with Watson and Fournier waiting to bomb away from three on a kick-out. He makes way more sense as the 6th man. In addition to running with the second team, he can spell Payton when we go big with Oladipo at the Point, Hezonja/Fournier at 2g and Gordon at 3.

Is there any evidence that Harris' offense is better when he's playing off the ball and playing a more 'catch and shoot' role? No idea, just wondering.

Where Oladipo needs to improve is getting some calls on his drives. That is supposed to come with experience. I think it also comes with having a competitive team. If he goes to the line 4 or 5 more times a game this season, he is a lock as a 20-25 ppg scorer.

I agree. This is truly whats holding him back from consistently scoring in the 20's. I'm not sure how he can improve this aspect of his game -- he already sells the fouls pretty well and i'm worried that he's gonna land the wrong way one of these days and truly hurt himself.

I do feel the same about Oladipo going to the line, watching the games this past season, it was painstakingly obvious that we can't get calls. Whether it's Vuc getting completely mugged in the paint on put backs or Oladipo taking "lebron-esque" contact and not getting the calls, we have to find a way to get to the line which I believe comes with a competitive team with experienced players as well.

Is there any evidence that Harris' offense is better when he's playing off the ball and playing a more 'catch and shoot' role? No idea, just wondering.

I'm sure someone on here will find a stat that says Harris is better off the ball, but I don't see it. Harris is a mismatch on the offensive end in that he is too quick for most 4s and too big for most 3s (It is the exact opposite on the other end of the floor). As such, he can get a bucket in isolation more often than not. If he needs to get 10-15 shots a game, give him the ball in isolation when the second unit is in and run the offense through him. I'd much prefer his shots come at the expense of backups rather than from Oladipo and Vuc.

There is near-overwhelming evidence to suggest he is better suited as a sixth man as our team is currently constructed. The going theory is that he can improve though, and Brass wouldn't be doing their due diligence if they didn't give him every opportunity to gel with the starting unit. It makes sense to keep him in that role to start the season and take a wait and see approach.