Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Kevin Pelton thread

Agreed...I think the point Pelton is making that some may be missing is that Kevin felt Harkless should have played more last season to try and increase his value there by increasing the return.

Instead of sitting him on the bench behind Ben Gordon and I'm guessing Ridenour...We also had injuries to make guys like Fournier and Harris miss many games which should have further opened the door for Moe to get some burn.

Add to that how much we sucked and we're just playing out the string of games to end the season and well....I see his point.

Couple things.

Playing harkless late in the year actually hurt his value. We gave him almost 20 mpg over 12 games in March. He averaged 4.8 ppg on 39/27/27 shooting. We even got him 4 starts this year and he did nothing with them averaging 6.5 ppg in 27 mpg. He checked out and wasn't helping himself.

He should have played more but ridnour and Gordon had nothing to do with it.

Some people needs consistent minutes before they can produce. Mo appears to be this type. I am surprised he didn't break out last season, he has what it takes. Even when he started last year he had a short leash.

He should have played more

Exactly what Pelton is saying...and to add...as a coach, if you really want to make a player look good there are ways to do it...as a youth basketball coach if I want to build a players confidence and performance via live games when opportunity presents itself I do...have done it frequently.

Exactly what Pelton is saying...and to add...as a coach, if you really want to make a player look good there are ways to do it...as a youth basketball coach if I want to build a players confidence and performance via live games when opportunity presents itself I do...have done it frequently.

Yeah that's true. But you can only highlight so many players at the same time. We're better off building up Payton, Oladipo, Harris, Gordon, Vucevic, Fournier, and now Hezonja. Harkless fell by the wayside with Nicholson.

You're definitely not wrong. We could have developed him more. But I'm ok sacrificing harkless and putting our eggs in the Gordon/Harris/Fournier basket

The Magic were super excited about Harmless's potential when they got him. They didn't see the work ethic that they expected. That's just the way it went with him. JV used to call that "energy" to be nice. It's just how it is.

Josh (Columbus)

Marry, Date, or Dump: Tobias Harris, Moe Harkless, Andrew Nicholson

Kevin Pelton

Heh. Marry Harris, date Harkless, dump Nicholson (sorry).

From about a year ago...

Agreed...I think the point Pelton is making that some may be missing is that Kevin felt Harkless should have played more last season to try and increase his value there by increasing the return.

Why play an inferior player? There is no room in the rotation for him.

I watched the games with Harkless and though he had lapses of talent, it just would be too far and few in between. The OP seems to suggest a criticism of management's decision to trade Harkless. Another post criticizes the glut of wings that that the Magic have accumulated. Older posts questioned coaching decisions that essentially led to a losing Magic record. Look, you can't criticize a team for trading a player for lack of patience and not developing him when you are also complaining about putting out a winning record. The Magic clearly seems intent on putting out a winning product. The diversity in wings (SH/SF/PG) gives our team a ton of flexibility and creativity. Versatility is the new NBA, and we picked up players that will certainly help in the long run.

Josh (Columbus)

Marry, Date, or Dump: Tobias Harris, Moe Harkless, Andrew Nicholson

Kevin Pelton

Heh. Marry Harris, date Harkless, dump Nicholson (sorry).

From about a year ago...

Do you have a semblance of a point yet?

This is what Pelton had to say about Elfrid before this past season started...

Scouting report

+ Long pass-first point guard who can knife through the defense at will.

+ Must improve his jump shot and finishing skills. Talented lobber.

+ Can be turnover-prone. Needs to add strength.

Analysis

From the Sun Belt Conference to the Sunshine State, Elfrid Payton will have a steep learning curve as he enters the NBA. But with Jameer Nelson gone, the starting job is Payton's for the taking. The rookie has some tantalizing potential as a poor man's Rajon Rondo, but the Magic will need him to work on his jumper if he wants to succeed right away.

Payton is billed as a distributor, but he only posted 5.9 assists per game at Louisiana-Lafayette last season. His instincts at Summer League were breathtaking at times. He displayed a knack for finding bigs around the basket and putting them in positions to succeed.

He shot just 25.9 percent from beyond the arc last season, which isn't inspiring, but he'll be a deft pick-and-roll partner with Channing Frye. Interestingly enough, Frye worked miracles with former Orlando point guard Ish Smith, who is shooting-impaired just like Payton.

Thought this was interesting for the Ish Smith comments....Certainly doesn't make Fyre's season look any better.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/player/hollinger/_/id/2583639/elfrid-payton

Do you have a semblance of a point yet?

No....This is the Kevin Pelton thread....All things Kevin Pelton....I will post stuff randomly about his opinions....If you want to react to it, fine....If you want to read it, fine....If you want to say he sucks, fine....If you can't stand him and don't want to read his opinion then get out of this thread, lol.

That's it....