Sign in to follow this  
nCoolness

Ben Gordon Appreciation Thread

You're right. It's also not that good, especially for a dude who only contributes as a shooter. Look at the guy's assist to turnover ratio. And his steal rate.

What does his assist rate have to do with his shooting %?

Basketball stats have to be taken in context. If you are around a 38% 3-pt shooter and a big man, like Channing Frye, who we know has been disappointing for other reasons, then that's a little different to a guard who's shooting in the mid 30s and not really disrupting defenses in an unusual way.

You can perhaps defend Ben Gordon on personal grounds--his motivational skills, maybe, I don't know, but I'm just trying to be real about the player he is right now. He's not shooting well enough to off-set the things he does poorly. My original post was about his general lack of contribution during basketball games, so, I'm not trying to make a statement about shooting in a vacuum. You wanted to isolate the shooting part that I brought up, and perhaps I should have been more specific, but really that's your point of focus more than mine.

He had about 17 games where he was extremely useful and a bunch more that he was not. He provided veteran leadership and didn't pout when he wasn't playing. That's about all you can expect from an end of the bench veteran at the twilight of his career.

He's not some big loss but it's also not like having another 13th man on the roster is going to be what puts us over the hump.

He had about 17 games where he was extremely useful and a bunch more that he was not. He provided veteran leadership and didn't pout when he wasn't playing. That's about all you can expect from an end of the bench veteran at the twilight of his career.

He's not some big loss but it's also not like having another 13th man on the roster is going to be what puts us over the hump.

Yeah, I mean, I realize this is an appreciation thread, so I will say that I think he always plays with a lot of heart. It's just hard to hold back criticism when I think maybe grabbing a guy like Stuckey or perhaps someone a little more versatile would have been a wiser move.

Yeah, I mean, I realize this is an appreciation thread, so I will say that I think he always plays with a lot of heart. It's just hard to hold back criticism when I think maybe grabbing a guy like Stuckey or perhaps someone a little more versatile would have been a wiser move.

Probably. But I think stuckey steps on the minutes of both Payton and Fournier. I assume we signed ridnour for similar reasons (no competition for Payton).

Can we mark him off the list of reasons people complain about Rob now?

lol..agree

And Ben came in and did his job. He was a vet leader. Was not a cancer.

This shows that the Magic have a core in place and a guy like Mario will not be a cancer. Ben could have complained about minutes and being on a bad team, but he did not. He chose instead to be a leader and a mentor to the young guys and that was exactly what he was brought in to do.