Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

The one positive I can see with hiring Brooks is it makes us a dark horse candidate for Durant

I wonder if Russell and Kevin gave their approval to fire Brooks and if they did, why would Kevin want to come to Orlando Magic if Brooks is Orlando Magic coach?

I wonder if Russell and Kevin gave their approval to fire Brooks and if they did, why would Kevin want to come to Orlando Magic if Brooks is Orlando Magic coach?

Everyone is saying kd and Russ loved Brooks and didn't want him gone.

David Aldridge says:

Denver/Orlando potential landing spots 4 Brooks. Would guess Magic's improving roster intrigues. But lots of folks interested in ORL gig.

That is good to hear. I still think there are major questions with this roster (though which could be answered this off season with some luck) but if basketball people are intrigued then I won't argue

That is good to hear. I still think there are major questions with this roster (though which could be answered this off season with some luck) but if basketball people are intrigued then I won't argue

Yeah, that excited me too. I think our views are inherently biased and can't judge our team properly so it's always nice when national guys can weigh in on our standing in the league.

regarding consulting the star players.

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 44m44 minutes ago

OKC GM Sam Presti made call of firing Scott Brooks w/out consulting his players, & it was about the long view more than it was last season

I really don't like brooks. national media guys are prone to favor and support guys who are "nice" to them and answer questions in scrums, like stupid matt moore. I can see that in this case. player development overrated. if we enjoyed watching hero ball stand around offense this season, it'll only be more awesome with brooks. Except national media guys will just say oh brooks is gonna suck becasue you don't ahve 2 MVP type of guy scoring title winners doing their thing nightly...seriously why could he not sit perkins? I think scott brooks is a mistake if it happens.

"He led us, man," Durant said of Brooks. "He made sure everybody was emotionally stable because we had a lot of guys in and out of the lineup and he kept everybody together. That's what your head coach is supposed to do. I can't really say nothing about it because he did his job. He kept us together."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12741477/oklahoma-city-thunder-fire-head-coach-scott-brooks

I'm just saying: they fired someone who CARED about his players well, and whom every player fought for each and every night, even if he wasn't a perfect X's & O's guy. We all know Westbrook irks Durant, and with his coach gone, where could he land... ?

What this feels like: when we hired Doc Rivers to try and get Tim Duncan from the Spurs. While that ultimately failed (but imagine if it would have worked and Hill would have stayed healthy???), I don't see why Kevin Durant wouldn't legitimately consider the Orlando Magic with its young core and Brooks at the helm if he's starting to feel dissatisfied with OKC.

Additionally, while I clearly DO want an X's/O's guy, I would much rather than a coach players love to play for and respect the hell out of (Brooks) over a guy whom everyone hates and tunes out by the end of his coaching tenure (Thibs).

• Upvote 1

do people hate and tune out thibs? I don't think i've heard that criticism. being serious. I feel like the bulls give just as much effort as any team.

historically weird subversive front office and ownership beefing with thibs and too many minutes criticism, I've heard. But I don't feel like anyone tunes out thibs...are there reports of tuneout?

I feel like our guys need a smart general to execute for. They are willing to do anything any coach tells them and see winning results. so far tehy've only had JV and JB bungling it learning...growing...devloping...and now thinking about SB makes me sad. so he can develop them... like jimmy butler?

I'm not convinced we need much more developing. we need a plan, and execution. Development is going to happen regardless.

The Magic have nice young players, top 5 pick, and plenty of cap space. I'm pretty sure that's what they love.

Apparently Billy Donovan is a high candidate for the Thunder job.

Woj is reporting that, despite his statment, that Ollie is still very interested and is Presti's top candidate.

So it is between Donovan and Ollie