Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

Why didn't we just get Brad Stevens last year? That guy is the next great NBA coach. What he's able to get out of that roster, I can only hope our next coach is able to maximize output like that. I mean the guy has officially found a role for Evan Turner. That's impressive. That's the kind of coach I want. Like I've said before, I don't follow the coaches enough and I think our next coach will come out of left field, but I just hope it's a guy like Stevens.

I agree. I was talking about it last night before their game, I wish the Magic pursued Stevens as well. He'll get the Celtics back to prominence soon. Maybe not Eastern Conference Championships, but they'll be in the picture for sure.

Does anyone think that Thibs might be too old? Would it be better to pursue a younger guy who can grow with? I had never heard of those concerns with hard practices. Does that concern anyone else?

And for what it is worth...Kevin Ollie said that he has no plans to pursue other options.

I realize that almost every coach has to say something like that, but there it is.

I agree. I was talking about it last night before their game, I wish the Magic pursued Stevens as well. He'll get the Celtics back to prominence soon. Maybe not Eastern Conference Championships, but they'll be in the picture for sure.

Does anyone think that Thibs might be too old? Would it be better to pursue a younger guy who can grow with? I had never heard of those concerns with hard practices. Does that concern anyone else?

Experience = age. So if the Magic say they want an experienced coach, they probably don't want a young guy to grow with.

No, not one bit.

So a bunch of national guys say we should hire Brooks because he's a great developmental guy. Not sure if I'd be happy with that as he doesn't have a great offensive plan and with him consistently playing Perkins. Ugh...

Damn, I was hoping Scott would not be fired because I do not want him here

I am surprised that Scott is fired though, I do not think he deserves to be fired because injuries are not his fault and almost made the playoffs with the amount of injuries the Thunder had

So a bunch of national guys say we should hire Brooks because he's a great developmental guy.

I'm sure his reputation has a lot to do with coaching a young Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka.

Didn't really get to see his developmental skills with Lamb, Perry Jones, Steven Adams etc.

So here is the latest list of candidates that we think Rob could pursue:

Thibs

Donovan

Skiles

Mark Jackson

Scott Brooks

James Borrego

Malone

It would not shock me if the coach we end up with is not in the list above....

I don't think the Magic org has abandoned its plan to model after the Spurs... so in trying to think of the a list that Rob is really considering... I am wondering if any of the Spurs current assistants could be candidates?

Jim Boylen

Chip Engelland

Ime Udoka

I remember Budeholzer being available when we ended up with Jacque... sure wish we would have hired him instead..

Any other ideas of possible under the radar candiates that could fit the Henny profile?

Just trying to stimulate thought, as Rob usually ends up picking someone that nobody is expecting..

So here is the latest list of candidates that we think Rob could pursue:

Thibs

Donovan

Skiles

Mark Jackson

Scott Brooks

James Borrego

It would not shock me if the coach we end up with is not in the list above....

I don't think the Magic org has abandoned its plan to model after the Spurs... so in trying to think of the a list that Rob is really considering... I am wondering if any of the Spurs current assistants could be candidates?

Jim Boylen

Chip Engelland

Ime Udoka

I remember Budeholzer being available when we ended up with Jacque... sure wish we would have hired him instead..

Any other ideas of possible under the radar candiates that could fit the Henny profile?

Just trying to stimulate thought, as Rob usually ends up picking someone that nobody is expecting..

Boylen is a highly respected assistant

David Aldridge says:

Denver/Orlando potential landing spots 4 Brooks. Would guess Magic's improving roster intrigues. But lots of folks interested in ORL gig.

If we get a strong defensive PF our team could look a lot like Memphis, so Lionel Hollins could be a nice fit.

The Spurs model is obviously very good and hyped but we don't seem to have the players to replicate that