Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

Magic told Thibs team they would offer him 7-9mm per year a few weeks backs. They then went after Skiles as well and told Skiles if Thibs freed up they wanted to interview him before they made a final decision.

They talked to Brooks and he told them he wants to take a year off and do TV.

I'll be perfectly happy with Thibs or Skiles. I just want them to interview Thibs before making final decision. If/when that happens, I can rest in peace knowing we chose the coach we felt was the best person for our team.

• Upvote 1

You guys realize that it's typical for teams to report that player/coach x had major issues when they fire/cut/trade player/coach x.

They do this so fans go "oh, I guess if the players didn't like him then it was ok to let him go."

Don't believe anything out of Chicago. It's all lies.

Thibodeau has the support of some Bulls players, though apparently not others – which makes him like every coach in the NBA. Chicago management has incentive to leak information about the unhappy players, but that alone doesn’t present a full picture.

So we have Rose, Noah, and Gibson, probably the three biggest leaders in the locker room, publicly supporting him, and then we have an anonymous report that don't players don't like him. There are players on every team who don't like that coach, and it is likely the ones who don't play.

I'd go with the former report as the more likely general opinion

I understand how it works. My opinion on Thibs hasn't changed because of either report. Maybe the player/players who didn't endorse him is the same player who reportedly had issues with Rose. None of it matters to me though. Thibs and Skiles are virtually equal to me.The main reason I posted the report was because someone thought Thibs is a bigger free agent draw which I don't really see. I'm just ready to get this show on the road.

I understand that. I do. But if they feel the difference between the two is small, they may not want to pay nearly twice as much for only a little bit better coach.

Not that their situations have been identical, but one has a winning percentage of 64.7% in the regular season and 45.1% in the playoffs, while the other is Scott Skiles (50.6% regular season 42.9% playoffs).

Also consider that Rose missed about half the games Thibs coached in Chicago due to injuries.

I'll be perfectly happy with Thibs or Skiles. I just want them to interview Thibs before making final decision. If/when that happens, I can rest in peace knowing we chose the coach we felt was the best person for our team.

Nailed it. These two guys are virtually identical in my eyes. Great to know we will likely have our choice of the two and that both coaches, seemingly, have interest in coaching this team.

FWIW, Woj on FoxSports1 when asked about Thibs and Orlando

"Orl is very close to reach an agreement with Skiles, they're very far down the line.

Paxson and Skiles had a plan that actually was working: Bring in a demanding coach who holds players accountable, which was becoming less common this season under Skiles, and then draft players with good character who are willing to work and probably would practice and play hard even if you didn't demand it.

The Bulls quickly became a feel-good story around the NBA, object lessons for hard work and commitment.

But it was only part of the plan.

Although Skiles' offense was creative and fast-paced, it often ignored post play. Other coaches saw Skiles as not believing in it as much as his drive-and-kick style, with the NBA rules evolving to enhance perimeter play with less contact allowed on the outside.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007 ... ott-skiles

This article is from 2007, and Skiles was already adjusting to the new NBA. I'm more and more impressed with his coaching. Has potential to be our Carlisle.