Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

Shard on his last legs lasted how many more years in the league? Gilbert on Zero legs was done and Otis knew it, but threw his buddy a very Large money bone. Otis should have never been hired as a GM, he is barely fit to be a scout.

I don't understand the point you are making. Arenas was already on contract. He was paid what he was paid regardless of coming to the magic.

Lewis averaged 6 ppg the final three years. That's last legs.

Otis looked at Gilbert as a buy low candidate because he averaged 22.6 ppg before getting injured and put up 8 20+ point games in the month prior to being traded.

You could tell what Otis thought. He said here's a guy I want to bet on. He's starting to heal and turn back into the player he was pre-injury. I can trade a failing Lewis for a player who is likely to be a 20 plus scorer and has an outside chance of leading the league in scoring.

It's not a bad bet in a vacuum. Lewis (who was putting up, what, 12ppg at the time?) for the prospect of a great scorer. The problem is even if the deal worked out and he turned back into a 18-22ppg player, does that team make it anywhere? Is Nelson-arenas-Carter-bass-Dwight a practical lineup?

I don't understand the point you are making. Arenas was already on contract. He was paid what he was paid regardless of coming to the magic.

Otis looked at Gilbert as a buy low candidate because he averaged 22.6 ppg before getting injured and put up 8 20+ point games in the month prior to being traded.

You could tell what Otis thought. He said here's a guy I want to bet on. He's starting to heal and turn back into the player he was pre-injury. I can trade a failing Lewis for a player who is likely to be a 20 plus scorer and has an outside chance of leading the league in scoring.

It's not a bad bet in a vacuum. Lewis (who was putting up, what, 12ppg at the time?) for the prospect of a great scorer. The problem is even if the deal worked out and he turned back into a 18-22ppg player, does that team make it anywhere? Is Nelson-arenas-Carter-bass-Dwight a practical lineup?

Dwight might as well have lined up with four turnstiles.

Not quite. Rashard would have cleared his contract in two years and Gilbert was on for three. Otis stuck Devos with an extra $20 million. His thought was Ill take my chances on a head case guy who is injured and swing for the fences. If it didn't work out he was fired...and he didn't care what assets he mortgaged of our future (which was my never ending complaint about keeping him involved with sending Dwight packing). Rashard certainly wasn't going to keep D12 here or improve the team so to Otis was either certainly fired or probably fired. It was management/ownerships fault for being naive/uncaringfor not seeing the writing on the wall. Vanderweide and Martins seemed more concerned about their hair products and drunk dialing than managing a billion dollar asset for a elderly owner.

I can remember everyone clamoring for Otis to be kept until D12 was dealt then go with a clean slate. Can you imagine what he would have done instead of Henny. We likely would be stuck with Lopez' foot issues on a max deal and two other dead beat high priced players from the Nets if Otis pulled the trigger. We would have been the Nets 2.0 even now. Thank god ownership figured out Otis was sinking the ship with no regard for our future and canned him...just two years too late.

Not quite. Rashard would have cleared his contract in two years and Gilbert was on for three. Otis stuck Devos with an extra $20 million. His thought was Ill take my chances on a head case guy who is injured and swing for the fences. If it didn't work out he was fired...and he didn't care what assets he mortgaged of our future (which was my never ending complaint about keeping him involved with sending Dwight packing). Rashard certainly wasn't going to keep D12 here or improve the team so to Otis was either certainly fired or probably fired. It was management/ownerships fault for being naive/uncaringfor not seeing the writing on the wall. Vanderweide and Martins seemed more concerned about their hair products and drunk dialing than managing a billion dollar asset for a elderly owner.

I can remember everyone clamoring for Otis to be kept until D12 was dealt then go with a clean slate. Can you imagine what he would have done instead of Henny. We likely would be stuck with Lopez' foot issues on a max deal and two other dead beat high priced players from the Nets if Otis pulled the trigger. We would have been the Nets 2.0 even now. Thank god ownership figured out Otis was sinking the ship with no regard for our future and canned him...just two years too late.

I don't think anyone was clamoring for Otis to stay until Dwight was dealt. I think everyone was saying if Dwight will stay with Otis we should keep Otis.

The weird thing about Otis was his decline was so poignant. He made good moves from the beginning and created arguably the most talented team in franchise history in 09-10. Then it was rapid succession of bad deals. Arenas, Carter to Phoenix, big baby, duhon, drafting Orton, Larry Hughes.

Ok, was Dwight acting gm? Was he calling the shots? Because everything was fine and then we hit a wall and it was nothing but crap after.

The weird thing about Otis was his decline was so poignant. He made good moves from the beginning and created arguably the most talented team in franchise history in 09-10. Then it was rapid succession of bad deals. Arenas, Carter to Phoenix, big baby, duhon, drafting Orton, Larry Hughes.

Ok, was Dwight acting gm? Was he calling the shots? Because everything was fine and then we hit a wall and it was nothing but crap after.

imo, otis was toast when he gave reshard the 6th year on that contract. 5 years and maybe you can hold off til his contract is up and try to convince an all star to come join dwight

imo, otis was toast when he gave reshard the 6th year on that contract. 5 years and maybe you can hold off til his contract is up and try to convince an all star to come join dwight

Stan suggests that shard wasn't coming without that 6th year. Plus it was definitely worth it

I think it was the fault of this forum. Posters like me demanded on Turk's return. The demise of the Magic is partly my fault. I bear the brunt of the blame on behalf of other posters who voiced the same sentiment. They heard the fans clamoring "run and gun" and it all went bananas.

I and other short sighted fans can shut up now. Henny is good.

It was also the flu virus... AND Dwight wanted Gortat out. Bad November/December run and the team got gutted.

Dumars also had a similar fall from grace.

The Magic were also trying to appease Dwight and did not have a team culture. It was the old model of being yes man to please a superstar. The superstar will aways want a say in basketball moves once you allow this, and thats rarely a good thing. Dwight could not select a good bed buddy, let alone build a team. He was far too immature to have that much power.