Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

Are you serious? That's like asking which leg would I rather cut off.

Who would you rather have? What amazing coach with experience is out there that you think the Magic could get?

Who would you rather have? What amazing coach with experience is out there that you think the Magic could get?

Come on Cat. You should've known what I was gonna say to that before asking. That amazing coach was fired, and the other option was hired by Sactown.

Seriously, I don't see an amazing one out there. I see a lot of retreads and I see guys (like MJax, and Malone) who might, MIGHT, be right for our team.

Hell, is JVG up for coaching?

Would you say JV got hired because of nepotism?

No, Vaughn was a highly regarded assistant and did fantastic in the interview process.

I don't think we went into the hiring process thinking "let's hire a guy who played for the magic" but when you have multiple candidates that are similarly qualified you're going to pick the guy who worked for you before. Remember, Brian Shaw was also a candidate and was passed on immediately.

step 1: pray for early Chi exit

Step 2: offer thibs 10 million a year to coach (RDV has the money)

Step 3: well, you know

If we hired skiles I would lost a lot of respect for Henny. Also, NO dantoni -- how many times do these coaches have to be fired before people get the hint that they aren't that good.

Plan b: I guess Mike Malone ...sigh

Come on Cat. You should've known what I was gonna say to that before asking. That amazing coach was fired, and the other option was hired by Sactown.

Seriously, I don't see an amazing one out there. I see a lot of retreads and I see guys (like MJax, and Malone) who might, MIGHT, be right for our team.

Hell, is JVG up for coaching?

Thats my point really. If you look at the options, Skiles and D'Antoni's resumes are as solid, if not more solid, than anyone's.

In my opinion Malone could be a fantastic choice depending on how he adjusts his offense, but he has no real resume yet.

step 1: pray for early Chi exit

Step 2: offer thibs 10 million a year to coach (RDV has the money)

Step 3: well, you know

If we hired skiles I would lost a lot of respect for Henny. Also, NO dantoni -- how many times do these coaches have to be fired before people get the hint that they aren't that good.

Plan b: I guess Mike Malone ...sigh

D'antoni has gone to 2 conference finals. People think he is "not good" because he got a massively raw deal in LA and was focusing on offense over defense in the 90s (too early - he was a little ahead of the curve there).

His belief in pace and space helped change the league. To me he is an intriguing option, especially as an Asst.

D'antoni has gone to 2 conference finals. People think he is "not good" because he got a massively raw deal in LA and was focusing on offense over defense in the 90s (too early - he was a little ahead of the curve there).

His belief in pace and space helped change the league. To me he is an intriguing option, especially as an Asst.

As an assistant, I'd be ok with that.

You're right that he's had some success. But, his most recent stints in NY and LA (from 2008-2014, after he went to the WCF) were just awful -- and that's a long time to be bad.

I know we've talked about this before and you believe he was given a raw deal -- which I can kind of agree with -- but why take the chance on hiring him as a head coach? We're trying to get someone proven here and all he's really done in the last 7 years is prove he can be a good assistant.

As an assistant, I'd be ok with that.

You're right that he's had some success. But, his most recent stints in NY and LA (from 2008-2014, after he went to the WCF) were just awful -- and that's a long time to be bad.

I know we've talked about this before and you believe he was given a raw deal -- which I can kind of agree with -- but why take the chance on hiring him as a head coach? We're trying to get someone proven here and all he's really done in the last 7 years is prove he can be a good assistant.

Well he has the experience and I believe we have the talent on defense (still missing rim protection of course) and really need an offensive identity more than anything.

He's not my top candidate, but I think he is intriguing consider the pickings are somewhat slim.

I think I'd prefer Skiles over D'antoni for this group.

If Thibs is available, I think he would be our top target, with Skiles as more of a back up plan. I don't think Skiles would be a guy who could take us all the way, but I think he'd be able to help set the defensive tone this group of guys needs to adopt, help show off their potential and then after a couple years, move aside when a top tier coach is available.