Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

Also, I found out during my research that when players make rookies pick up the check for dinner, those are tax deductible as business related expenses.

I haven't run the numbers, but it is not accurate. Orlando Magic players pay state income tax anytime they play in a state with an income tax. The benefit of playing in Orlando is that at least half of your games have no state tax, but you still get hit up for state income tax by the other states when you play their teams. Seems strange but it is true. Looking at the $30 million number, that would be a third of his salary for state tax. The top bracket in Georgia is 6%. On $90 million you are looking at $5.4, but only half the games so the number is probably closer to slightly under $3 million. When you factor in that because Georgia has a state income tax it has lower sales tax rates and property tax rates, the tax issues are pretty insignificant.

The choice was ATL where he knows they are a contender and he likes his teammates or ORL where he thinks they can be a contender and he might like his teammates.

Also your point is still wrong. In Georgia he would have to pay a state income tax on ALL of his income. Not just 41 games. The jock taxes are just added on to that.

And just like that one example, Harris is not better than Millsap for the sole reason that Millsap averaged less points 8 years ago. That's not how basketball works.

Harris is fine and worth the money even if he doesn't improve anything but his efficiency going forward. But players after their fourth year in the nba are pretty close to what they will be in most cases.

I never thought Id see the day that guys like Tobias and Milsap got max deals.....who would have guessed.

Tobias is only 22 but he's already played 4 seasons in the league. While he'll probably have marginal improvements to things like shooting, it's a longshot to think he'll transform into a good passer or tough defender.

Defense in the NBA consists of athleticism and effort, that's it. It's the NBA, so everyone has the athleticism part down. So honestly, the only thing stopping Tobias from being a decent or even a good defender is his own work ethic.

Henny better have a plan that works this year, becuase there has been alot of movement by teams except the Magic.

I agree but at the same time, what is he supposed to do? We can throw as much money as we want at a FA but if he doesn't want to come here there's nothing you can do about it. I can pretty much guarantee there is going to be a trade now that we didn't land Millsap. I know he's not a popular player on this board but I think Faried is going to be in a Magic uniform within the next week. Magic wanted Millsap bad but they've been in contact for Faried and I can't see where else they'd go unless Rockets want to trade Terrence Jones.

You know what would be cool? A loaner system in the nba. You aren't paying Nicholson? Why not hang out in Israel for 3 months.

Loaner system and every NBA team having their own D-League affiliate (which, Silver is actually working on that one) would be amazing.

Still feeling sick that we missed out on Millsap. Same feeling I had after that Golden State loss earlier in the season.

Still feeling sick that we missed out on Millsap. Same feeling I had after that Golden State loss earlier in the season.

Why did you have to bring that game back up? It was one of the limited games I was able to catch this past season because of work and time differences.

I agree but at the same time, what is he supposed to do? We can throw as much money as we want at a FA but if he doesn't want to come here there's nothing you can do about it. I can pretty much guarantee there is going to be a trade now that we didn't land Millsap. I know he's not a popular player on this board but I think Faried is going to be in a Magic uniform within the next week. Magic wanted Millsap bad but they've been in contact for Faried and I can't see where else they'd go unless Rockets want to trade Terrence Jones.

Why wouldn't people want Faried? Love his motor and nonstop hustle.