Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

It depends on how much he's offered, simple as that. I really doubt Henny isn't looking at alternative players right now in case we can't match. He found Harris riding the Bucks bench -- I trust he does his homework.

I can assure that Henny IS looking at alternative players right now because that's job.

Unfortunately for the Magic, unless they sign someone who is capable of filling the 16 PPG void that we will have when he leaves, this team will be seriously challenged on offense. If we draft a forward who can bring instant offense, or sign a proven free agent, I'm all in for letting Harris walk. If that doesn't happen, next year is going to be ugly.

Well, we have this years draft pick, Elf, and Aaron Gordon who could potential step up and fill the gap. I think its more important for us to add some shooting this summer than a singular guy who can replicate TH's offensive production.

I can't imagine Deng would want to come here in the middle of a rebuild at this stage of his career.

A veteran presence in the locker room who is still productive might be worth overpaying for this team.

Because he's scored ~16 points per game on for multiple years with very bad defense. His mid range game isn't much to speak of. With the ball in his hands he doesn't look for other players.

Surprisingly good at corner threes!

Harris is mediocre in the scope of what he is now. I think you're adjusting for potential where we are not (a similar analysis would show Wiggins SUUUUCKS right now). But Wiggins has a high value because he's shown he can get better.

Harris is mediocre but has value because he's 22.

You still aren't providing any evidence re: Harris. And what you are pointing out is rather soft. 16 ppg for a 22 year old is mediocre? Really??? … Or extremely mediocre? Meanwhile, Harris' defense is better than Dipo's this year, at least according to some key measurables. I believe Harris could start on a number of playoff teams right now and be a good third banana. I think we'll see that next year, as I don't think Henny matches what Harris will be offered.

And homersim, ElfridMVP? No, it is just the opposite. I personally think Payton is the only untouchable on this team. For instance, I'd consider trading Vooch for the #1 pick. My only qualm was the random statement saying Harris is "extremely mediocre," which is simply not accurate. And by the way, I was hoping Henny would trade Harris at the deadline for Faried or another asset.

Ultimately, this team has a ton of work to do this summer, beginning with the hiring of a stud coach.

Honestly, I think it's just semantics, as I think we all are agreeing that Harris is not worth near the max. I'd cap his offer at 10 mil/year.

A player I could see Henny doing a very strong 3 year offer for would be Milsap.

You still aren't providing any evidence re: Harris. And what you are pointing out is rather soft. 16 ppg for a 22 year old is mediocre? Really??? … Or extremely mediocre? Meanwhile, Harris' defense is better than Dipo's this year, at least according to some key measurables. I believe Harris could start on a number of playoff teams right now and be a good third banana. I think we'll see that next year, as I don't think Henny matches what Harris will be offered.

And homersim, ElfridMVP? No, it is just the opposite. I personally think Payton is the only untouchable on this team. For instance, I'd consider trading Vooch for the #1 pick. My only qualm was the random statement saying Harris is "extremely mediocre," which is simply not accurate. And by the way, I was hoping Henny would trade Harris at the deadline for Faried or another asset.

Ultimately, this team has a ton of work to do this summer, beginning with the hiring of a stud coach.

See, I don't think you're getting the point. 16 points per game on a bad team and very poor defense, and one assist per game is mediocre. We've already established this has nothing to do with age. I don't understand why you keep referencing "for a 22 year old".

I mentioned how I have a hard time really evaluating him because he's done some good things but has largely remained the same player since we grabbed him and he doesn't really augment our team.

I don't know how you can say he's been a better defender than Oladipo as every single up to date defensive metric (other than defensive rebound% and block%) favors Oladipo.

See, I don't think you're getting the point. 16 points per game on a bad team and very poor defense, and one assist per game is mediocre.

No, you're arguing a point I believe is categorically false, that's all.

16.9 points, 6.1 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.0 steals per game on 46.3 FG%, 36.1 3P% and 79.2 FT% are very respectable numbers and far from mediocre, even though he's on a mediocre team. And just because he's doing it on mediocre team doesn't mean he couldn't immediately contribute on playoff team (e.g. Jeff Green to the Grizz). If we acquired a random player in free agency with identical numbers, most fans would be grateful. Moreover, Harris is holding opponents to a PER of 14.9 at the SF spot and 14.4 at the PF spot. Meanwhile, Dipo is holding opposing SGs to a PER of 16.4.

There is this false narrative on this board that Harris is greatly to the blame for this team's woes, which is far from true. Outside of Vooch, he's been the most consistent contributor over the last two years for the Magic and the numbers back that up. Can he be replaced? Sure. Is he worth replacing? Maybe. Has he been solid? Yes.

No, you're arguing a point I believe is categorically false, that's all.

16.9 points, 6.1 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.0 steals per game on 46.3 FG%, 36.1 3P% and 79.2 FT% are very respectable numbers and far from mediocre, even though he's on a mediocre team. And just because he's doing it on mediocre team doesn't mean he couldn't immediately contribute on playoff team (e.g. Jeff Green to the Grizz). If we acquired a random player in free agency with identical numbers, most fans would be grateful. Moreover, Harris is holding opponents to a PER of 14.9 at the SF spot and 14.4 at the PF spot. Meanwhile, Dipo is holding opposing SGs to a PER of 16.4.

There is this false narrative on this board that Harris is greatly to the blame for this team's woes, which is far from true. Outside of Vooch, he's been the most consistent contributor over the last two years for the Magic and the numbers back that up. Can he be replaced? Sure. Is he worth replacing? Maybe. Has he been solid? Yes.

I might be wrong, but I don't remember reading an post where someone is blaming Harris. Everything has been about him being a max player. Most seem to agree he's not.

Harris is young, yes, but he hasn't shown much improvement since we acquired him. His RPM (real plus minus) is -2.35 (317th in the league) and his WAR (wins above replacement player) is ZERO. He is the very definition of mediocre in this league. If you're wondering about the breakdown in his RPM, his Offensive side of the equation is ZERO, and his defense is -2.35.