Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

[/size][/font]

Soul Bro note: Harris isn't worth the max… on this team. If he gets that offer, I'll be so curious to see what Henny does.

Henny doesn't have it in him to give Tobes the max(and I can't blame him; I wouldn't do it). I was one of the few that wanted to give him the 12 mil he was asking for in the offseason. He'll be on a different team next season.

Henny doesn't have it in him to give Tobes the max(and I can't blame him; I wouldn't do it). I was one of the few that wanted to give him the 12 mil he was asking for in the offseason. He'll be on a different team next season.

There's still a decent chance that other franchises get caught up with other free agents and he takes our qualifying offer

There's still a decent chance that other franchises get caught up with other free agents and he takes our qualifying offer

Wait a minute. Do you really think that there is a decent chance that Harris will accept our 3.5 million dollar qualifying offer?

Wait a minute. Do you really think that there is a decent chance that Harris will accept our 3.5 million dollar qualifying offer?

I think there's a ton of competition out there for money and I think it wouldn't be crazy if other teams are afraid of having their cap money held up in restricted free agency decide not to pursue him. In that case, knowing that next year is going to be a crazy bidding war with an entire league with money burning holes in their pockets, it wouldn't be crazy for him to "bet on himself" and take our q-offer for a chance to reach unrestricted free agency.

Edit: it would be different if Harris had a great season but he's not a top 5 free agent. If we posture like we're going to match anything I wouldn't be shocked if he fell by the wayside. He kinda is stuck in the middle of big money guys and mid level "solid" players. Why overpay for Harris with his obvious flaws when you can get someone like luol deng and Wesley Johnson for a similar price?

I think there's a ton of competition out there for money and I think it wouldn't be crazy if other teams are afraid of having their cap money held up in restricted free agency decide not to pursue him. In that case, knowing that next year is going to be a crazy bidding war with an entire league with money burning holes in their pockets, it wouldn't be crazy for him to "bet on himself" and take our q-offer for a chance to reach unrestricted free agency.

Edit: it would be different if Harris had a great season but he's not a top 5 free agent. If we posture like we're going to match anything I wouldn't be shocked if he fell by the wayside. He kinda is stuck in the middle of big money guys and mid level "solid" players. Why overpay for Harris with his obvious flaws when you can get someone like luol deng and Wesley Johnson for a similar price?

I will admit that I have been a big fan Harris since he got here, and really expected him to break out this year with Big Baby gone and not taking his minutes. It didn't happen. He can never seem to put two good halves together. He will score 12 points in the first and 5 in the second, or vice versa. He has had an occasional big game, but certainly not on a consistent basis. It would be great if he were to accept a qualifying offer from the Magic because he is only 22 years old, and if he figures it out, could turn into what we all hoped he would be, but I do believe there is a team or two out there who will offer him a 4/50 and I can't see Henny wanting to match that. One thing for sure is that we better sign someone who brings at least as much offense as he does or this team will be in trouble.

If NYK offers him the max, do a S&T.

But what leverage do we have on a Sign & Trade? Can't the Knicks just be like "Um no" then Harris signs with them anyway? Would the Magic be counting on NYK to see our bluff in matching their max offer?

Just curious about the logistics.

But what leverage do we have on a Sign & Trade? Can't the Knicks just be like "Um no" then Harris signs with them anyway? Would the Magic be counting on NYK to see our bluff in matching their max offer?

Just curious about the logistics.

Yeah. There's no leverage there.

Can we offer more money than other teams? That's the only leverage. If two teams get in a bidding war for Harris and he demands a resigned max vs a free agent max that might give us some leverage. But it's not likely.

If we offer T12 the max for being a mediocre player at best this year, then that's really sad.

Wow. While I don't think he's a max player, I think (as does the rest of the league from reports) Harris is an asset and up-and-coming player. Give the guy some credit.

Wow. While I don't think he's a max player, I think (as does the rest of the league from reports) Harris is an asset and up-and-coming player. Give the guy some credit.

Yeah but with the year he had with injuries, the max is a tough pill to swallow.

I doubt this will go down very well but I think I'd be willing to do this sign and trade with the Knicks (and this would give them incentive to do it too if they want to be big players in free agency):

Knicks get: Tobias Harris

We get: Jose Calderon, Future 1st, Future 2nd

Calderon's contract is horrible but 2 years 15 million total is only bad if we want to spend that elsewhere and at least Calderon is a good shooter and he can run an offense. Plus he could turn into an asset in the last year of his contract, with the cap at 90 million a team making a deep playoff push would probably be ok with taking on an expiring 7.5 million.

Of course it remains to be seen if the Knicks even have any real interest in Tobias since they have Melo but we'll see.